Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2015, 08:32 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So, sounds like buying cameras is kind of a hobby for you....
Better a hobby than an addiction. But I feed my addiction with cameras that all have the same focal flange distance...

01-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think that there is no question whether anyone here can learn the Nikon or the Canon UI. Anyone surely can!

The question is: how INTUITIVE the UI is! And I know for a fact that the Nikon 7100 ranks as at least mid-end enthusiast, and after a good 10 minutes, I was breezing through the menu, but I would still say that at the very least, the controls, the menu UI is not as intuitive as Pentax, in fact, not in the same league as Pentax. The UX difference is akin to the 7100's AF vs the K-X AF! That much!

Sure I can navigate Nikon's UI, but there was a nagging feeling that it could have been so much easier.

UX is always built on UI, just ask Apple. Now if only Pentax can leverage on their intuitively simple yet delightful UI.
01-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
UX is always built on UI, just ask Apple. Now if only Pentax can leverage on their intuitively simple yet delightful UI.
I think we will find out how much Pentax is changing the UI when we finally see the back of the new mid-range. Does it have K-50 controls or KS-1 controls.
01-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Did anyone notice where the ISO button is located on the current Nikons (D7000, D7100)? Left bottom corner of the rear panel. That is, to adjust ISO on the fly means involving the left hand, as opposed to having all exposure controls under the thumb and forefinger of the right hand, as all Pentax models have.

I remember being out in the field shooting and a random novice Nikon shooter came up to me and wanted me to help him with his camera settings for the scene. I was losing my pre-sunrise light and getting so irritated that I could not locate the ISO button where I expected it would be...grr Nikon, what were you thinking?!

01-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Did anyone notice where the ISO button is located on the current Nikons (D7000, D7100)? Left bottom corner of the rear panel. That is, to adjust ISO on the fly means involving the left hand, as opposed to having all exposure controls under the thumb and forefinger of the right hand, as all Pentax models have.

I remember being out in the field shooting and a random novice Nikon shooter came up to me and wanted me to help him with his camera settings for the scene. I was losing my pre-sunrise light and getting so irritated that I could not locate the ISO button where I expected it would be...grr Nikon, what were you thinking?!
Nikon has an effective auto ISO with minimum shutter speed setting while in auto ISO. We all have different shooting styles and I'd argue if you don't have your ISO already set by time you put the camera up to your eye, you shooting inefficiently. But YMMV
01-08-2015, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Nikon has an effective auto ISO with minimum shutter speed setting while in auto ISO. We all have different shooting styles and I'd argue if you don't have your ISO already set by time you put the camera up to your eye, you shooting inefficiently. But YMMV
I use my exposure controls dynamically rather than rely on an auto camera setting, so yes, my mileage definitely does vary, lol.
I will go ahead and ignore your "inefficiently" remark.
01-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I use my exposure controls dynamically rather than rely on an auto camera setting, so yes, my mileage definitely does vary, lol.
I will go ahead and ignore your "inefficiently" remark.
I use to adjust controls while looking through the viewfinder. Not anymore except for one command dial. For dynamic scenes, I decide in advance what my max ISO I will tolerate if I want to capture the image and what my minimum shutter speed needs to be to freeze things like moving people, etc then shoot away. If on a tripod, who cares where the buttons are.
01-08-2015, 10:25 AM   #23
Site Supporter

I pulled my old canon 30D out of a bag in the closet, because I am thinking about giving it to my daughter. This is one of Canon's smaller cameras and it still looks huge compared to my K-5 II. Not only that it's all plastic. So then I put a $400 dollar 50mm f1.4 lens on the camera(I was so excited when I purchased that lens 7 years ago). This is also one of canons smaller prime lenses. However this lens still looks Huge compared to my 50mm f1.8 even my 35mm Macro and it's all plastic. Plastic on Plastic ! The good thing is that the 30D still takes great pictures even with an 8.2MB sensor...

01-08-2015, 10:57 AM   #24

The Canon 30D has (had) a magnesium alloy chassis.

Last edited by NeilGratton; 01-08-2015 at 11:04 AM.
01-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NeilGratton Quote
The Canon 30D has a magnesium alloy chassis.
I know but it feels like plastic.
01-08-2015, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm guessing anyone can master anything on any camera system in a half hour. But I have a few things I won't let my camera do for me. It doesn't change my ISO, and it doesn't change my ƒ-stop. I watch the shutter speed in the viewfinder. I don't find it inefficient at all/ I need two controls, ISO and EV, and they both better be where I can reach them with my trigger finger.

You gotta have standards.
01-08-2015, 01:10 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wanted to own a Nikon 5200, but in the long run I'd have to spend more money that I don't have yet to own various lens with Nikon then Pentax. And a non tilting screen wasn't a deal breaker for me. Give me a top LCD at least and a rugged WR camera and I'm good to go.
01-08-2015, 07:18 PM - 4 Likes   #28

I shot Nikon for years before switching to Pentax this year. What really bothered me was the way they crippled the lower end Nikon cameras. You have to spend $1000 to get two scroll wheels and any WR. I shoot a D7100 at work ( engineering lab with some very nice Nikkor macro glass), and take way more pictures there than at home. I still hunt for buttons on the D7100, and I can find the green button, af button, ISO button and raw/fx button on the K-3 with no issues at all.

As for AF, I have been unimpressed. I end up shooting in manual focus most of the time because the D7100 can't seem to handle the low light with the macro lenses at or near 1:1 focus.

Just my two cents, but the only way I'll be getting rid of my Pentax is when it's removed from my cold dead fingers. 😀
05-09-2015, 11:08 PM   #29

I've moved to Pentax (K-5 IIs) last year. Up until 3 days ago, I could not have been happier with the Pentax, but then I realized there is no normal rear curtain sync for flashes in the K-5 IIs.

So I dug up my Nikon D80 to see if it really could do it - the flash, it could. But the rest!
The ergonomics of the Pentax, both physically, both in software are way, waaay better. The leftie design lens mount on the Nikon feels terrible after the Pentax, and the list continues.

There is one small bit where Nikon beats my Pentax, and that is the AF-area choose option; it gets indicated on the matte screen in the Nikon and also does spot metering where the focus point is set to - which is slightly more logical then what Pentax does, without indication.

Alltogether, I'm happy with the Pentax, but there are places where the brand has to put some development.
05-12-2015, 02:32 AM   #30

I'll be switching from Canon sometime this year. They just look cheap now compared to my eight year old 450D. Pentax looks way better, with way better pricing. Nikon has gone the same way, hence I guess the "Canikon" reference doing the rounds.

Hal55