01-08-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brand preference

Canon vs. Nikon, and other nonsense | CameraSim

01-08-2015, 04:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The power of advertising is amazing. Did you ever see a Pentax ad on TV? Just imagine if Pentax advertised and let people know about the innovations Pentax has contributed to photography. Let people know just how happy Pentax owners are with their products. Come on Pentax...wake up!
01-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Two Words is a post?
01-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, ~half Sony's numbers and they advertise and we don't. Seriously, you can't even see or handle a Pentax dSLR in most US cities.

01-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
...Seriously, you can't even see or handle a Pentax dSLR in most US cities...
The same in Toronto...
Before I bought the Pentax, I went to Henry's (one of the biggest photography shops here) and they only had a used K-30, or 50, something like that...
01-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm actually quite OK with the spread of that chart, at least for the time being. I firmly believe Pentax's
dark hour is behind them. 2, 3, 5, 10,... years from now when their market share is 2, 3, 5, 10,... times
what it is today, there will be 2, 3, 5, 10,.... times that many people competing for all that great old
Pentax gear.

Enjoy the moment! It's a good time to be a Pentaxian.
01-08-2015, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #7

Pentax use to advertise quite a bit in the early 1980s. Their spokesman was none other than the Baseball of Hall of Fame member Reggie Jackson. Once they made the decision to stop advertising Nikon and Canon just took over the 35mm market, which in turn lead to their dominance in digital cameras world. Loss of name recognition will kill a company.

Pentax along with Honeywell brought the first auto focus lens to the market. Minolta used that technology to bring the first auto focus cameras to the market. Minolta crippled by lawsuits from Honeywell for patten infringements ends up merging with Konica, and their camera business ultimately is sold to Sony. Then there is Kodak, the inventor of digital photography doesn't even produce cameras any longer and is just a shell of it's former self. Technological innovation does not ensure that a company will survive. Look at Zenith who developed most of the high definition television technology we have to day. Gone!

I agree with you guys that marketing is the key to success. Pentax brand cameras are great products just the majority of the buyers don't even know they exist.
01-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They need to make an ad like this for the KS-1...

01-09-2015, 02:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

01-09-2015, 05:01 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I am fine with this. I think it keeps the price down. I talk to some of my friends who shoot Canon or Nikon and some have never heard of Pentax at all. I say "that's fine because you're paying much more than I am for lenses." They are extremely jealous when they see how much I pay for lenses that are autofocus and the camera body has shake reduction. Once in a while I take a peek at what Nikon and Canon lenses cost and I laugh. Hey if they want to pay those prices that's fine with me. I find the Pentax glass to be superior especially when I adapt the medium format lenses to my DSLRs. Recently one of the women at work took at look at the photos I took with my Zykkor 28mm f/2.8lens. She thought I paid $700 for it when she compared the results to what would have been done with her Canon cameras. When I told her that it was just less than $26.50 after shipping she was green with envy.

obin
01-09-2015, 07:27 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Seriously, you can't even see or handle a Pentax dSLR in most US cities.
In my area, the white Pentax K-50 really stands out in a sea of black Canikon products at the local Super Target store.
01-09-2015, 07:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In my area, the white Pentax K-50 really stands out in a sea of black Canikon products at the local Super Target store.
I know that part of the justification for Maximum Assured Pricing back in 2012-13 was getting Pentax into Target. So far I have yet to see anything other than the WG models in any Target in any city I have visited. It's nice you've had a K-50 in your Target but the lack of any in any Target in Metro Atlanta says a lot about the failure of that policy IMHO.
01-09-2015, 07:41 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, ~half Sony's numbers and they advertise and we don't. Seriously, you can't even see or handle a Pentax dSLR in most US cities.
3 years ago Fuji didn't even make an ILC. At the current pace Fuji will pass Pentax and Olympus in 1-2 years. Sony's A7 line is just beginning to take off, so I would expect to see growth by Sony over the next couple of years.
01-09-2015, 08:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
3 years ago Fuji didn't even make an ILC. At the current pace Fuji will pass Pentax and Olympus in 1-2 years. Sony's A7 line is just beginning to take off, so I would expect to see growth by Sony over the next couple of years.
Fuji has some drawbacks that only the FLAOs don't seem to 'see'. Many are, as is clear by the amount of used Fuji gear in the market...
The problem with Sony is that they can't maintain a mount for very long, which, along with the lack of good glass (for what I read) makes many people not taking them seriously.
01-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #15
Pentaxian

When I bought my Spotmatic, back in 1967, Pentax outsold Nikon and Canon, COMBINED. Those were the days.

Turn on CSI, NCIS or any of the forensic/cop shows and you'll see them taking crime-scene photos with Nikon cameras. I wonder how much Nikon pays for such product placement. Pentax should do the same.