Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #1
Pentaxian

DIY Precision Focus Screen

I made a DIY Video on how to forge your own Focus Screen from a Canon 5D EE-S to Pentax K5 K7 50 K30
Make a Super precision focusing screen for your apc-s Dslr Camera, with simple tools so you can accurately manual focus with lenses Faster than F2.8
Template works for Pentax K-7 K-5 K-50 K-30
This method can be used for any Dslr be it Pentax or the othe guys You just have to mock up your own template
Shot with Zoom Q3HD
http://youtu.be/zxtMSoRPZuM?list=PLaL4R7EgSIKJyKLeJKw_ynzMNJCKHVYlQ
template

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 01-09-2015 at 07:37 AM.
01-09-2015, 04:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice videos!
01-09-2015, 07:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, The Upgrade is as good as everyone states. I think I may fall in love with my K5 now.
01-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice video, but I have two comments.

1: Place a microfiber cloth over the mirror before you release the latch for the focus screen. This is a first surface mirror and can easily be scratched. Any damage to the mirror can affect light metering and focusing.

2: Never wear gloves when using power tools. It's a safety issue. If the glove gets caught in the power tool, it can pull your hand into it and cause more damage than it would with your bare hand.

Now that I have said that, I have one question. Does the new focusing screen affect light metering.

01-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
2: Never wear gloves when using power tools. It's a safety issue. If the glove gets caught in the power tool, it can pull your hand into it and cause more damage than it would with your bare hand..
Yet gloves are worn in many industrial work places on assembly lines where power tools are handled, especially in Japan.
01-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gloves has always been standard at the factories I've been at.
01-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Loose sleeves are more of a hazard than gloves.
Gloves are always STRONGLY recommended - as long you use the proper glove for the proper job!!!

01-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Excellent instructions. I've been using Pentax MX and ME Super screens for all my DSLRs.
They are the same thickness as current screens.
I've never had a problem with standard metering. Spot metering may or may not be bothered by the split screen.
Good to know there are still DIY folks around.
01-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
Nice video, but I have two comments.

1: Place a microfiber cloth over the mirror before you release the latch for the focus screen. This is a first surface mirror and can easily be scratched. Any damage to the mirror can affect light metering and focusing.

2: Never wear gloves when using power tools. It's a safety issue. If the glove gets caught in the power tool, it can pull your hand into it and cause more damage than it would with your bare hand.

Now that I have said that, I have one question. Does the new focusing screen affect light metering.
You could put a cloth there to be safe but you would have to do a lot of damage to the focus screen to affect focus and metering. I just avoid touching it.

There are instances where gloves are not recommended, like table saws and lathes and other powerful rotary tools. But dremels and smaller hand power tools are fine and recommended with gloves.

Metering is more even from what I have read. Haven't had time to test. I did my KX and have no problems.

Thanks for watching and commenting.

---------- Post added 01-09-15 at 03:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Excellent instructions. I've been using Pentax MX and ME Super screens for all my DSLRs.
I've never had a problem with standard metering. Spot metering may or may not be bothered by the split screen.
My kx has a Minolta maxxum 7000 screen in it..love it and buying an old Minolta body is cheaper than a new focus screen.
Thanks for watching

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 01-09-2015 at 01:47 PM.
01-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
I've got an old MX screen I've considered modding to fit my K30. Any tips for getting the split screen in the centre, or did you
just follow more or less the same procedure posted here, and eyeball it ?

Or maybe it would be better to have the split screen off to one side, so it doesn't interfere with spot metering?
01-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I use frosted scotch tape on screen. I lightly put tape on both sides. I then measure with a dial caliper to get the split screen dead center. I draw very light pencil lines to define edges to be cut. When done, carefully peel away tape. All dust and crud will come away with it. I also wear latex, non powdered gloves while working.
Never tried using a split screen off center. Course I don't use spot metering either.
01-10-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
I've got an old MX screen I've considered modding to fit my K30. Any tips for getting the split screen in the centre, or did you
just follow more or less the same procedure posted here, and eyeball it ?

Or maybe it would be better to have the split screen off to one side, so it doesn't interfere with spot metering?
split screen is fine. Use a fine sharpie and draw diagonal lines with a ruler from corner to corner on the tape and make sure the template corners are all line up with the marker lines.
01-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
split screen is fine. Use a fine sharpie and draw diagonal lines with a ruler from corner to corner on the tape and make sure the template corners are all line up with the marker lines.
Great suggestion - why didn't I think of that?! Thanks.

Any suggestions for cleaning an old screen like this? ( I'm under the impression that they're easy to scratch. )

Would alcohol and a microfiber cloth be safe? Or lens cleaning solution?
01-10-2015, 12:35 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
Great suggestion - why didn't I think of that?! Thanks.

Any suggestions for cleaning an old screen like this? ( I'm under the impression that they're easy to scratch. )

Would alcohol and a microfiber cloth be safe? Or lens cleaning solution?
I steal my wifes eyeglass cleaning spray and just saturate it then wait a bit spray it again and then gently wipe and dab with microfibre cloth