Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OEM battery vs clone

Just got my K-3 and am looking to buy another battery pack. Coming from the K-x, I was used to having a bunch of AA batteries at the ready, but no longer so with the K-3. What are peoples' experiences with clone batteries off ebay or Amazon? Are they safe? The OEM seem to be in the $60 range, so if I can save a few bucks I'd like to.

01-09-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just make sure you aren't buying the super cheap stuff off of cheapobay. Some of those clones can damage your camera, or worse.

Generally the third party stuff from Amazon is safe (make sure to read reviews). I'm personally using Wasabi batteries, and they have been just fine.
01-09-2015, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

There is no systematic test of the clones because there are so many, sometimes just relabeled, other times very different ones out there. I have read some reports of broken batteries, batteries that don't let the camera function correctly, as well as good experiences. I suggest you buy one that isn't super cheap, preferably one that has a brand that you can contact. Bonus points if it has warranty.
01-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I tried a knock-off once as it was half price of the OEM. It works just fine, but I can get maybe one third the shots with it, if that. The next time I needed another battery I went with the Pentax.

01-09-2015, 05:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Washabi batteries from Amazon have been pretty uniformly praised and for $25ish for two and a folding prong charger they are a bargain IMHO. I've owned some for 2.5 years and they are indistinguishable from my OEM batteries when they are in the camera.
01-09-2015, 06:36 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I use two Wasabi in addition to the Pentax battery. Despite the high mAh rating, my experience is that they don't last quite as long if live view and/or video is in the mix. Even so, I consider them to be a good value.

One thing to consider...there was a recent post to the price watch section that pointed to a site selling the Pentax-brand for a very low price. If the batteries are fresh, it might be worth looking into.*

Steve

* Li ion cells degenerate over time whether they are used or not.
01-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I also have the Wasabi battery and it doesn't have the capacity of the Pentax that came with my K-30,they just over rate the capacity.I wish i would have just paid the extra money and got the real deal.

01-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
I also have the Wasabi battery and it doesn't have the capacity of the Pentax that came with my K-30,they just over rate the capacity.I wish i would have just paid the extra money and got the real deal.
Ah, different model. I'm referring to the D-Li90 batteries for the K-7/5/5ii/5iis/3 models. Those have been generally on par with the OEM batteries I have.
http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-2-Pack-Charger/dp/B004UR7250/ref=pd_cp_p_0
01-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I too have gone with the Wasabi batteries - for my K5 & K5IIs. They are about 1/3 the cost, and last 3/4 to 1/2 the shots of the OEM depending on how you shoot. That said, I have been using live view a lot. There is a benefit to the Wasabis and that is that they recharge in about an hour or so. From that perspective, it is nice to have a mix of both. For me the OEM does last noticeably longer - but still takes the 6 hours to recharge. I really do like the Wasabi charger with the fold out power plug.

01-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
On Canadian Amazon site it is $40 (with shipping) for battery only. OEM at Henrys is $69.
01-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gebco Quote
Just got my K-3 and am looking to buy another battery pack. Coming from the K-x, I was used to having a bunch of AA batteries at the ready, but no longer so with the K-3. What are peoples' experiences with clone batteries off ebay or Amazon? Are they safe? The OEM seem to be in the $60 range, so if I can save a few bucks I'd like to.
I see you are in Winnipege

https://lensandshutter.com/product-categories/blue-dot-savings?taxonomy_enti...th=3511&page=1 has some "blue dot" batteries and flashes.
01-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have the Wasabi battery for the K-5IIs. Mine lasts longer than the OEM. I can go 3-4 days of shooting on the Wasabi battery without needing a recharge. I'd say I can get something like 1000 shots? Not sure, but it's a lot. Battery seems to last a lot longer since I moved away from a screw drive lens (kit) and into the HSM lenses.
01-09-2015, 09:25 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I have the Wasabi battery for the K-5IIs. Mine lasts longer than the OEM. I can go 3-4 days of shooting on the Wasabi battery without needing a recharge. I'd say I can get something like 1000 shots? Not sure, but it's a lot. Battery seems to last a lot longer since I moved away from a screw drive lens (kit) and into the HSM lenses.
When you buy a $1000.00 camera why buy cheap knockoffs? I find ome's the best , just my 2 bitts.
01-09-2015, 09:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neil1 Quote
When you buy a $1000.00 camera why buy cheap knockoffs? I find ome's the best , just my 2 bitts.
Because the price on simple objects often has little to do with quality. If you really believe that the officially branded item is better...well, that's what they're banking on and why accessories are HUGE money makers. In the end, these things are probably made next to each other at the same factory in China or wherever.

Take the Pentax branded rubber hood that sells for $60. Do you really believe it's any better than the $6 one that looks identical?
01-09-2015, 10:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Watson (formerly Pearstone) from B&H is very good, providing about 90% of OEM capacity at half the price - $20. Probably not the best choice, though, if shipping to Canada - given duty and border travel delays.