Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Lens hood –rubber or metal?

Lens hood –rubber or metal?

I need to protect –from light (a lot) and from banging (rare) --two lenses.

My Pentax 50mm 1.4

My Vivitar 28-105mm f.2.8

Metal (petal) lens hoods seem more widely used, is very sturdy, and looks “professional/snazzy”.

Rubber is collapsible, seems to protect, and is much less expensive than metal.

Any thought or suggestions?

05-27-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just two quick thoughts. I have a metal hood on my Sigma 2.8 and it works very well for that particular application. One caution regarding metal is to make sure you have enough room in your case to store the lens with the hood attached, otherwise it will obviously have to be removed after each time. I looked but did not find a rubber hood that I liked and that I felt extended far enough in front of the element. The one rubber hood I had was quite shallow and pretty much useless. If you can find a rubber one with enough depth it will probably serve you well, just make sure it is not too shallow to be useful.
05-27-2008, 09:48 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by tmacdon Quote
Metal (petal) lens hoods seem more widely used...
Actually, all the petal lens hoods I've seen are plastic, and all the metal hoods I've seen are cylindrical.
05-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks very much!

I agree on size : metal/plastic takes up a lot of space. That's why I like the collapsable rubber ones.

But then, I also agree that many of the rubber ones I have seen on sale do look shallow to me. I cannot but wonder if that's supposed to the be the case. Why manufacture a hood that does not do the job?

05-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #5

many of the rubber ones I have seen on sale do look shallow to me. I cannot but wonder if that's supposed to the be the case. Why manufacture a hood that does not do the job?
Difficult to make a deep, collapsible hood? That said, Hoya make a multihood that has three positions, so is good for 'standard' zooms. Mine has a yellow ring on it and is supposidly good for 28mm/50mm/80mm in its three positions (on 35mm). It vignettes slightly at 28mm focal length on 35mm but is fine on digital where it suits the old 28-105 perfectly (although I don't use the lens much now...). The only ones I saw when I googled it just now had a red ring and were being advertised as for 35mm focal length upwards. An intersesting product...
05-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks very much!

I agree on size : metal/plastic takes up a lot of space. That's why I like the collapsable rubber ones.

But then, I also agree that many of the rubber ones I have seen on sale do look shallow to me. I cannot but wonder if that's supposed to the be the case. Why manufacture a hood that does not do the job?
I use a hama collapsible telematic (3 setting) rubber lens hood on my tamron 28-75.

Good points:
Fully extended hood projects about 2.5" from the filter thread. More than sufficient to shade the lens.
No vignetting at 28mm (on K20D) for partially extended hood.

Bad points:
Filter thread diameter on hood is 5mm greater than filter thread on lens (e.g. 72 instead of 67) -- which means if you want to keep it attached you'll need an extra lens cap.

I plan to get another collapsible rubber hood for a telephoto/macro lens. I don't need the three settings of the hama, and I'd like to avoid the filter thread step up -- any suggestions?

Thanks

note added: I eventually got B&W 930 (49mm and 58mm) rubber hoods for the VL125 and 180. Both work well, with no filter thread step up. The 58mm hood is assembled perfectly; the rubber part of the 49mm hood is attached slightly askew.

Last edited by troyz; 08-09-2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: added notes on b&w hoods
05-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your help and good advice. I just ordered three rubber hoods via Camerafilters.com--at VERY reasonable prices--$3-$10. Check them out.