Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2015, 08:12 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I've been asking this question for a couple of years now. Technically the capability is there, just produce the individual EXIF tagged frames, and post process everything together, thus a firmware update could easily take care of it. It has to be Pentax's world famous marketing/management gurus putting the kibosh on it. It's not very likely that I will be running out any time soon to buy a 645Z with a 24-85 lens - a relative bargain at $13,000.

While were on the subject, they could also have a second mode to stack each of the RGB colors at each pixel location - similar to a Floron sensor.

This would be a very nice addition for landscapers.

Exactly, I'm a travel/landscape photographer and I'm a lite bit tired of people saying Pentax don't need FF and more MPs cameras because of 645D/Z. Going for a travel shoot for one month I'm not going to carry with me heavy and big medium format plus big and heavy tripod to support it. There's no FF from Pentax and I think I already made my peace with that fact. But I would love to take my weather proof and small k-5 IIs, with excellent battery life and be able to get that extra resolution in "one" sensor shifted photo when I need it, instead of zooming in and taking 6 or so panoramic photos...

01-12-2015, 08:16 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Surely, if this can be implemented in the K-3 it could also be implemented in the 645 as well. No encroachment
of one on the other; each is elevated to higher capability.
01-12-2015, 08:16 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
One more thought, I had an opportunity to play with Samsung NX1 and I have to say that if Pentax incorporated that sensor and samsung's amazingly fast processor into new Pentax camera, and kept the quality of K-5/K-3 I mean man! That would be one amazing camera
01-12-2015, 08:39 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lots of neat technology is possible. The problem could be that it's locked up in patents and other IP held by rival companies.

01-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
And why it couldn't be a firmware update, out of curiosity?
Would make absolutely no sense from a business or marketing standpoint. I'm sure they could add the feature if the camera had the hardware (which it currently may or may not have), but history tells us that innovation is reserved for new models

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Would make absolutely no sense from a business or marketing standpoint. I'm sure they could add the feature if the camera had the hardware (which it currently may or may not have), but history tells us that innovation is reserved for new models
well then, does the compositin adjustment move by one pixel or more? Because if it is available in wireless tethering it wouldn't be difficult to write a macro command for it.
01-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

well then, does the compositin adjustment move by one pixel or more? Because if it is available in wireless tethering it wouldn't be difficult to write a macro command for it.
It's a lot more than that: up to several degrees of FoV. I don't think you can control it remotely, but it's a pretty useful feature in itself.

Sensor Shift In Action: Increasing Field of View - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-12-2015, 11:40 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I don't know if AA simulator is controlled for speed, or is it just a vibration at a certain frequency.

And why it couldn't be a firmware update, out of curiosity?

It should be possible to employ sensor shift to do this kind of improved resolution image. Sensor shift has to compensate for camera motion within a sub-pixel accuracy. I see no reason why it couldn't be done in software.
I would think the real issue is that the sensor shift idea would be like HDR. It should be firmware possible, but would require multiple exposures and a batch of post processing.

01-17-2015, 03:44 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
AFAIK Olympus added video shake reduction via a firmware update that was well received. Samsung recently released a massive firmware update including plenty of new features (though it is possible they were working on these all along). Of phones it is expected to receive big firmware updates that add functionality etc. Times are changing, and IMHO continued support and additional features down the road are a selling point. It certainly was for me when I bought my MP3 players, I made sure the brand had a good track record.

Pentax has a history of not fully exploiting the SR system. Why that is so I don't know or understand. Video SR is a prominent example... a possible selling point to many people, yet deactivated for a reason that I haven't been able to replicate, and that isn't particularly problematic in the first place. I barely hear the SR system in a recording over the general static the microphone picks up in a quiet room, and once there are some sounds you can't hear it at all. External audio recording would solve the problem anyway.

Another is the already mentioned programmed bracketing mode that moves around the sensor. I would love to have that feature, saves me a lot of time. They are not doing it.

Shifting around the sensor by a sub pixel is a great idea, likewise the thing to improve resolution.

For these image based functions I can imagine that they think the processing should be done in camera, and the processor they have can't do it. It is a shame, because it doesn't have to be done in camera. Just let it gather the data I need for processing, like with exposure bracketing.