Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2015, 04:43 PM   #1

Which Pentax to Buy

I am a diehard Canon person. I have a T2i and a EOS 70D. I had the priviledge to play around with a k-r and liked it. So I was looking to buy a Pentax. Should I get the k-s1 or k-50 or wait?

01-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should get a K-3 now that prices has come down! That would constitute more of an upgrade over what you have now.
01-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
You should get a K-3 now that prices has come down! That would constitute more of an upgrade over what you have now.
This, entirely.
01-15-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote

+2 on this.

My co-worker shoots a 5d mkIII and loves my K-3. Loves it enough that he said he will buy a Pentax full frame if it ever comes out.

01-15-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Indeed. The K-3 is a pretty good bargain right now.

I just got 2 K-50 cameras for my wife & I. Got 4 lenses & other stuff. It was all dirt cheap. I'm pretty happy.

B&H is almost giving the K-50 cameras away. It's a pretty nice camera. If you shoot video, then skip over it, but it's awesome for stills.
01-15-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

On K-S1 versus K50, Review: Pentax K-S1 - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews compares the specs.

A simple comparison of prices at B&H, body only (as the K5/IIs is only available like that)
K50 $400
K5/IIs $500
K-S01 $600
K-3 $ $800

For me, it would be one of the first two (and the K5/IIs is the actual bargain and would be my pick). The money that you save can go towards a number of other goodies like an extra lens, a flash, extra memory cards or whatever.

Just my thoughts.
01-15-2015, 10:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A used Kr is dirt-cheap! A used K-30 isn't much more expensive, and it's a much better camera. If you are not financially restrained, get a K-3 and a bunch of lenses. If you have a more modest budget, get a used K-30 and some of the Limited primes.

I've shot a Canon a few times, and I really didn't like it very much compared to my Pentax. It's just useability, and the Canon felt cheap, and the menus were stupid and I couldn't get it to do anything. The Pentax is just more intuitive to me. All that said, the real advantage of Pentax is tiny, wonderful primes. Start with the 21 limited. An underrated, but very great lens. You can then enjoy the sun in the frame all you'd like.

01-16-2015, 12:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
A used Kr is dirt-cheap! A used K-30 isn't much more expensive, and it's a much better camera. If you are not financially restrained, get a K-3 and a bunch of lenses. If you have a more modest budget, get a used K-30 and some of the Limited primes.
Agreed - you can get a K-r if you like. I got one for my daughter, and it produces nice photos. It's a step up from the K-x I used to have (and liked very much).

Start looking at what lenses you want. If you like zooms, get a DA*50-135, any body you can afford, and any 16/17/18 to 50 f/2.8 you can afford. This is probably the best IQ you can get for the money from any brand, and these lenses work for most people in most situations.

Whatever you do, don't spend too much on the body, 'cause it'll just depreciate. Any modern Pentax body will do the job for most of us. The only common exception is if you're shooting sports - then you want one of the latest bodies (usually the K-5 II/IIs or K-3; sometimes K-30/50 or maybe K-S01). Get at least these two lenses (and/or a good set of primes if you like) and then see what you have left for a body.

But if you're shooting sports we need to have a separate discussion about faster-focusing lenses.

EDIT: Here's how you decide if you like the lenses:
http://pentaxphotogallery.com/photos/gallery/query?camera=&lens=4068
http://pentaxphotogallery.com/photos/gallery/query?camera=&lens=2050
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/pentax/smc_da_16-50_28_ed_al_if_sdm
https://pixelpeeper.com/adv/?lens=7&camera=1482&perpage=50&focal_min=none&fo...max=none&res=3

Don't forget, all lenses have SR (image stabilization) when mounted on a Pentax body!

There's nothing wrong with those Canon bodies, but Pentax is generally considered to have the best ergonomics, has better high-ISO performance, and they have good lenses - including in the mid-priced/mid-range line (which is Canon's weak spot).

Last edited by DSims; 01-16-2015 at 12:36 AM.
01-16-2015, 09:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sont13 Quote
I am a diehard Canon person. I have a T2i and a EOS 70D. I had the priviledge to play around with a k-r and liked it. So I was looking to buy a Pentax. Should I get the k-s1 or k-50 or wait?
Think carefully before committing to 2 camera systems. Lenses and many accessories are not interchangeable across brands so you'll end up spending twice as much money in the long run. IMO dual systems only make sense for pros that need unique features available in only one brand, and amateurs with huge budgets.

If you are open to fully switching systems, buy (or maybe rent) a Pentax, use it for a while to confirm you prefer Pentax, then sell the Canon gear to finance more Pentax stuff. I don't have hands on experience with the Canon 70D but from what I've seen it's a far superior camera to the K-r. What specifically did you like about the K-r?

Do you like the Pentax interface but don't want to give up 70D features? If yes, the K-3 is a similar level of camera to the 70D.

Did you like how compact the K-r was? If yes, the K-s1 is a good choice.
01-16-2015, 09:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It really depends on what you want and like.

If you like a small body... there's always the 100D from Canon. Didn't feel to cheap to me... which is surprising being a small Canon.

The K-r had proper video SR, if you enjoyed that you have to bear in mind that the last Pentax to have that feature was the K-5 II. All cameras launched after the K-5 (apart from the II) had it deactivated. Hopefully people have bothered Pentax enough for them to reconsider their decision, and upcoming models are better again.

As for K-S1, K-50 or wait... I would wait. The K-50 is due for replacement in spring, and what we have seen so far looks like a pretty significant jump forward for Pentax. It has WiFi with NFC, it has an articulating screen, looks pretty good (a cross between K-50 and K-S1), etc. Also it will launch with a new kit lens which is really small... I want that. Even if it doesn't end up being what you want, the other cameras should go down in price thanks to it.

The K-3 is a nice alternative, and so is the K-5 II, but I'd still wait for what spring will bring us.
01-16-2015, 09:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Think carefully before committing to 2 camera systems. Lenses and many accessories are not interchangeable across brands so you'll end up spending twice as much money in the long run. IMO dual systems only make sense for pros that need unique features available in only one brand, and amateurs with huge budgets.

If you are open to fully switching systems, buy (or maybe rent) a Pentax, use it for a while to confirm you prefer Pentax, then sell the Canon gear to finance more Pentax stuff. I don't have hands on experience with the Canon 70D but from what I've seen it's a far superior camera to the K-r. What specifically did you like about the K-r?

Do you like the Pentax interface but don't want to give up 70D features? If yes, the K-3 is a similar level of camera to the 70D.

Did you like how compact the K-r was? If yes, the K-s1 is a good choice.
This is truth. If you go with Pentax I think you would be better suited with a higher end model, being that you have a higher end APS-C on the Canon side of things. Plus with the price cuts on the K-3 its a very good deal right now.
01-17-2015, 06:17 AM   #12

Original Poster
I like my Canon for every day stuff. But...I am doing more low light and the Canon isn't as good at a higher iso. Plus on the fixed lenses there is no stabilization, which if I'm not using a tripod forces the technique to a higher iso presents a little bit of an issue. I would still keep my Canon because that is what my son shoots and so I would be able to use his equipment anyways.
01-18-2015, 01:29 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
I'm coming from a Canon 50D previous cameras were the Rebel and 40D,picked up the Pentax K-5IIs on Black Friday and haven't regretted the switch.
Look at the Pentax K-3 and here's a shot of my K-5IIs after shooting this morning in the freezing rain. Didn't miss a shot, dried it off when I got back in the Jeep.

Attached Images

01-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Slightly wincing at the use of a non WR lens in the rain...
01-18-2015, 04:22 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Slightly wincing at the use of a non WR lens in the rain...
No worries, had a towel in the Jeep to dry it off immediately and was only shooting no more than 10 minutes. I have a 50-200mm WR lens but it's not a f/2.8 or faster. I trust this in inclement weather than the Canon 50D w/Sigma 17-70mm lens with no weather proofing at all on either.