Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-18-2015, 06:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
For casual photography with the ideal shooting condition and camera setup, my K5 produces excellent jpeg images that I don't even bother with raw files. I use raw processors in general for special images only – mainly for printing or salvaging photos.
After having trouble getting satisfactory results with "problem" images using a particular RAW converter, I thought I'd try working on non-problematic images in order to come up with a baseline profile that I could use as
a starting point for the images where I really needed to use the RAW converter. I was using the camera JPGs as a "control" to evaluate how good a job I was doing. In addition to the bundled software, I've been using ACR via PSE, and I recently added
Rawtherapee to stable of converters I've been experimenting with. My goal is to settle on one converter and develop a reasonably fast workflow, as opposed to spending hours working on individual images.

I've usually convinced myself that converter X was my best bet, and then I would convert a series of photos using it. Afterwards, I'd go back and compare the results to the camera JPGs. Most of the time, just a minor tweak to the original camera JPG would
give a better looking result ( overall ) than what I got from the converter. With considerable effort, I might better the original JPG in one aspect ( eg. better local contrast ), but it was invariably at the expense of some other aspect ( eg. more noise ). There was always a tradeoff - whereas the camera JPG was often the best compromise, and very difficult to match using any of the RAW converters I tried ( the exception being PDCU, but the UI leaves something to be desired, and it doesn't work for my K30 files in any case ).

In frustration, I'd switch to a different converter, do another series, and come to the same conclusion. With certain problem images, I'd sometimes get better results with one converter vs another, and certainly some converters had advantages over
others in terms of workflow.

My personal preference is to NOT work with the "importation/cataloguing" type workflow, so I've confined my testing to Raw converters that I can invoke on a specific file that I'm looking at in my file browser ( FastStone ). I'd like to settle on one converter that I can use for RAW images from both my cameras, rather than have to switch converters all the time ( a frustrating aspect of using the bundled converters ). I've worked
with PSE/ACR, PDCU3 ( for K200D files ), and Silkypix 3 ( for my K30 files ) and more recently, Rawtherapee ( though I did work with RT and Lightroom back in 2009 when I first got my K200D ).

01-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
I'd like to settle on one converter that I can use for RAW images from both my cameras, rather than have to switch converters all the time ( a frustrating aspect of using the bundled converters ). .
Same here. PDCU4 was bundled with the K-x and used that for a while before settling on PSE/ACR for all raw processing (K-x / K5 / K-01), and is the very reason why I keep Win-XP in dual boot with Linux. Of course, there is Wine but I prefer working with PSE directly. I was planning to add Lightroom but never got around to it. Rawtherapee, Gimp-Ufraw seem to do the job for me on Linux - so far.
01-19-2015, 11:57 PM   #18

Arch Linux here too. I use Darktable It can work with *ist DL and k100D PEFs. I Have been using K-3 so far in JPG mode, but when I have better budget, I'll give it bigger cards and start using raw formats again. If it is PEF or DNG, I don't know yet depends on which work better.
01-21-2015, 02:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Ubuntu LTS as base, VirtualBox as middle layer and different OS on top

01-22-2015, 01:59 AM   #20
Forum Member

I use Darktable and Gimp, the advantage of Darktable over Rawtherapee - speed and zone tweaking
01-22-2015, 04:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Slackware here

Yarp DNG, ufraw and gimp has me setteled

Viv LA gnu Linux
01-22-2015, 06:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by florinlib Quote
I use Darktable and Gimp, the advantage of Darktable over Rawtherapee - speed and zone tweaking
I'm using Rawtherapee on a Windows Desktop. Darktable looks interesting - I have it installed on a Linux laptop, but haven't played with it much ( don't really use the laptop for photo processing ).

It looks as though Darktable works on the "import whole folders" model, which I dislike. Is it possible to use Darktable in the "edit this image and only this image" mode?

01-22-2015, 08:04 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
It looks as though Darktable works on the "import whole folders" model, which I dislike. Is it possible to use Darktable in the "edit this image and only this image" mode?
Thatīs how i usually use it. Right-click the thumbnail and open in Darktable. Iīve had crashing problems when trying to import folders, my hardware is quite outdated and iīve tweaked my Ubuntu to the breaking point... .
Thatīs fine me though, since i process images individuallu anyway.

Oh, right... DNG over PEF, no other particular reason but easier compatibility, maybe. Darkroom and GIMP.
01-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #24

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'll experiment with those, but it looks like UFRaw will do what I want - I don't need to import a folder, my preference is to work on each image individually.

It's interesting to see that Linux users are really an independent and creative bunch that always comes up with a solution that works for them!
01-22-2015, 01:37 PM   #25

does anyone use digikam? any thoughts on it?

I have it under KDE Dev Platform 4.11.5 on SUSE by default

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
01-22-2015, 05:38 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcrusoe Quote
does anyone use digikam? any thoughts on it?

I have it under KDE Dev Platform 4.11.5 on SUSE by default

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
I used Digikam for its image management capabilities which I think are quite nice. I ran RawTherapee for image processing though as it was better than Digikam in my view.

Last year I switched to DarkTable for both file management and processing. Much better in many regards and the only downside is a more cumbersome image tagging facility.
01-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
I used Digikam for its image management capabilities which I think are quite nice. I ran RawTherapee for image processing though as it was better than Digikam in my view.

Last year I switched to DarkTable for both file management and processing. Much better in many regards and the only downside is a more cumbersome image tagging facility.
Thanks Cfraz, I'll look into them!
01-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I triple boot Windows 7, Debian 7.7, & Fedora 21. I use GIMP with UFRAW or Darktable or Lightzone. I typically use Debian since it's more stable. I just play around with Fedora, since it's the complete opposite of Debian.

http://www.lightzoneproject.org/

^ Open source raw editing. It doesn't work for the latest version of Fedora. It seems like they're going to release a newer version later on, though.

This is also available for Windows for those that are too poor for Light Room. Kinda like me. Haha!
01-25-2015, 01:46 PM   #29

Photos: Albums
Darktable has been excellent so far. One of the best open source programs I've used.

I've been using Darktable since I got my K-7 and switched to RAW four years ago. It has come quite a way. All my photographs are edited using it. I don't like any program making auto libraries, so I just have a very simple file system.

Year / Country / State or Region or City (if I'm traveling) / Month (ex, 1. January) / Date + Event (ex, 25. Forest walk & polypores) / Exports

I just drag and drop the folders from my SD card into the appropriate folder on my hard drive, rename with the event, and leave them until I want to edit them. When I'm ready to edit, I just drag the folder down to the darktable icon in my dock (I use OS X, tried Linux for a long while but never got the fans running properly).

Darktable simply opens that one folder and nothing else. I never have any issues with it this way.

Darktable offers lens correction for just about all the Pentax lenses now. Even some peripheral illumination updates too. Profiled denoise with multiple options for each unique sensor. There are many ways to accomplish the same thing, which is pretty cool.

What else... well, it just works!

I did trial LR & Photoshop for a month last year while working on a project and have to say, Photoshop is outstanding. Especially the panorama stitching. I am considering moving to Adobe for the integration between those two programs alone. GIMP just doesn't make it as easy as PS. Still, darktable is so good that I have a hard to justifying the monthly outlay.
01-26-2015, 06:09 AM   #30
Veteran Member

New to the forum here...Its really great to see some Linux users here. I've used many distros on my boxes here. I like Mint the best currently, though in all honesty, I will take any of the Linux Distros over Windows. I use Gimp here...find it does well by me.

I think milewis said it best....
I think of Linux as I do Pentax. I wish both got more use and respect.

Looking forward to learning from and sharing with you all.
Al