Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2015, 02:45 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
When I got K3 I gave my daughter the K100DS with the kit lens. When she learns her way around that I can introduce her to the additional lenses etc. She has already tried to use the 1000 - quite a challenge.

01-19-2015, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #17

My daughter (13) recently got my old Canon 20D DSLR with a kit lens.

(When I was 16-17, I had two film DSLR's :-) )

Last edited by NeilGratton; 01-19-2015 at 06:08 AM.
01-19-2015, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
OK

I'll all some clues. She has been borrowing on occasion my K7 and Tammy 28-75/2.8 plus on occasion, my flash, umbrella, reflector, and has tried doing a little light studio work as well as general shooting.

She has also borrowed my K7 and a couple of lenses to go on trips in the past. This is more of a move to start her own kit. But, while she likes taking pictures and has a good eye for composition does not want to spend time learning the theory
01-19-2015, 06:33 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
...But, while she likes taking pictures and has a good eye for composition does not want to spend time learning the theory
Yes, but it is normal, that it will take a little more time. K7 vs IPhones... When she compares her pictures with others, which are taken with IPhones ...

01-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
As the title suggests, what did you get your kids for a first DSLR. I just went through this process, maybe I'll tell at some point but I would like to see what others did also

Choices are

New Flagship (K3, K5 what ever when it was the top model)
New Mid level (K-s1 or when they were available things like the K200)
New entry level (K50 is the current)
Used pentax
Other brand
My son needed a film SLR for some B/W project at high school about 3 years ago. I had a Pentax MX that had travelled the world with me for 7-8 years and all I'd done 15 years ago was take the batteries out and it'd sat on the shelf in the garage ever since.

New batts in and away he went !!.... The whole project changed his attitude and now he's in the first year of double majors in Film/Video and Photography and running his own photography business. He bought all Canon gear though..
01-19-2015, 11:18 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Now that's a question that can provide value for others for a long time.

My daughter started with a Pentax Program Plus SLR because her school had an old style photography class based on a film workflow. That was the last year; now things are more modern. I gave her my Pentax K-20D which she used for a couple of months, but she found it lacking. Last year for her 16th birthday I purchased her a Canon SL1 with the basic kit lens and she's been using that quite frequently since. It has a touch screen interface which I like as well, and the camera body is very small and lightweight.

M
01-20-2015, 02:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I gave (turns out I only loaned) my son my K100D after I got my K20D. My son used the K100D for about 6 months and then bought a K30. He gave my K100D back to me a couple of years ago during a visit, and I shoot with both of my cameras. Sad thing is, my son shoots in automatic about 90% of the time.

01-20-2015, 03:19 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I gave (turns out I only loaned) my son my K100D after I got my K20D. My son used the K100D for about 6 months and then bought a K30. He gave my K100D back to me a couple of years ago during a visit, and I shoot with both of my cameras. Sad thing is, my son shoots in automatic about 90% of the time.
How is that sad? The mode settings available on the K50, K30 series are pretty awesome and can stand in for experience when you have none. I know you won't grow using that but if you get the images made who really cares? I hate the fact that the upper level models remove those features...