Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2015, 02:15 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
I have used the ee-s from focusing screens on my k7 and now the katzeye without opbrite on my k5.

They are both excellent. I have not noticed any additional metering trouble from either, but I use mostly manual lenses.

Between the two I really like and appreciate the split prism of the katzeye. It makes focusing even easier than the ee-s. I find that the hit rate is better with the katzeye as the split prism is easier to confirm with your eyes than the plain matte screen. With that said, I recommend both because they are such a huge improvement over the stock screen.

Like other said, make sure you calibrate it with shims correctly!

01-21-2015, 02:22 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I assume you are referring to the S-type screen. I am curious as to why JPEG should be different than RAW. My experience has been that the camera meters the same regardless of the file format.

Steve
I think he is referring to the fact that you can correct it in PP when shooting RAW.
01-21-2015, 03:33 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Wow - I'm more lost than before. Great info but contradictory in a couple of places. Lots to chew on. I have relied on autofocus mostly - and I have fairly slow lenses outside of my manual lenses. I do have an A* 85 f/1.4 that seemed to be a bit complicated to focus with and I have an A 50mm f/2 and a Takumar Bayonet 135 f/2.5. I have an 18-135 (slow) and a 60-250 with HD TC (soon). I also have a DA 15 - many of these are f/4 or slower.

I would honestly be happier if Pentax made a split prism that just worked great. But that's not an option. I have used ground glass screens in my old days and pretty much hated them. I prefer a diagonal (45 degree thank you much) split prism. No option for that from Katz-eye but they are the only Split prism I'm considering.
01-21-2015, 06:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
No option for that from Katz-eye but they are the only Split prism I'm considering.
Not considering the various split prism ones on offer from focusingscreens?

01-22-2015, 06:14 AM - 1 Like   #20

Microprism and split image blackout occurs at the same apertures regardless of whether the screen has the Optibrite treatment. Optibrite increases screen brightness only and is worth the extra money IMHO. I have owned both versions.

Steve
Well, I think that is probably a very subjective thing. The problem I had with opti-brite is that the added brightness is not where I need it (center is bright enough with splitprism) and it visually increases DOF and makes it less "snappy" and therefore makes it harder to assess the amount of out-of-focus blur.
01-22-2015, 06:50 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
Not considering the various split prism ones on offer from focusingscreens?
No, I have seen nothing on their split prism screens positive or negative and the Katz eye has enhancements to avoid blackout of the split prism that I think are relevant. Typical prism screens blackout fairly early.

If anyone has experience using those split prism screens from focusingscreens.com let me know.
01-22-2015, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

No, I have seen nothing on their split prism screens positive or negative and the Katz eye has enhancements to avoid blackout of the split prism that I think are relevant. Typical prism screens blackout fairly early.
I don't have any personal experience to share.

You've probably seen this already:
focusingscreens.com f3 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Longer/older thread here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/77151-...n-reviews.html

I am thinking of doing the DIY thing with an old MX screen I have kicking around just to try out having a split prism screen in my K30.

01-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by romay Quote
The problem I had with opti-brite is that the added brightness is not where I need it (center is bright enough with splitprism) and it visually increases DOF and makes it less "snappy"...
This has not been my experience, having owned both versions of the KatzEye screen. Optibrite is not supposed to affect apparent DOF in the same manner as the stock Pentax focus screen which has an apparent DOF of about f/4.

Steve
01-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Optibrite is not supposed to affect apparent DOF
I have contacted KatzEye regarding this and will post their response.

Steve
01-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Steve
Thanks - I'm surprised also that no one has remarked on the fact that they have switched to a batch delivery model and that they will be much slower to get screens from than in the past.
01-22-2015, 03:01 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks - I'm surprised also that no one has remarked on the fact that they have switched to a batch delivery model and that they will be much slower to get screens from than in the past.
You mentioned it in your original post, so I figure people felt there was little to add. I could express outrage or panic or disgust I guess, but I don't know what it might accomplish. To be honest, I have long wondered why they used the "made-to-order" fulfillment model. As I read the note on their home page, batch processing does not mean that they will always defer fulfillment until a quota of orders accumulates. Rather, I think they are saying that they will be maintaining an inventory of the various screens with the possibility that stock may not be available at any particular point in time. I will be curious to see how this might pan out both for KatzEye and for their customers.

Steve
01-22-2015, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Steve
I got a response from Rachael Katz about an hour ago. The short answer is that there is a decrease in contrast for the OptiBrite treated KatzEye vs. the non-treated screen. This results in somewhat less focus "snap" for the matte (ground glass) portion of the field. Below is the full text of the KatzEye response (emphasis added by me):

------------------------------

Thank you very much for your inquiry. The short answer to your question is
"yes, that is basically true". However, there is considerable nuance to the
whole reality of it. Physics does demand a certain tradeoff between
focusing acuity (sometimes called 'contrast') and brightness. A brighter
screen usually has less contrast, meaning less difference between the
appearance of in focus objects and OOF objects, as well as a less accurate
depth of field presentation. KatzEye is, alas, subject to the laws of
nature and we cannot completely avoid that tradeoff. However, since we work
in much smaller batches than the big camera makers, and because we have
proprietary processes which would be too expensive to implement in the sort
of quantities Pentax, Nikon, Canon, et al make, we are able to refine that
tradeoff quite considerably. The net result is that the KatzEye screen,
both with and without the OptiBrite enhancement, will provide better
focusing acuity and depth of field presentation than almost all OEM screens.
So there is no tradeoff when compared to the original focusing screen. But,
when comparing strictly the two KatzEye versions, yes, brighter does mean a
bit less accurate depth of field and a little less "pop" when focusing using
the matte field.
Thanks again for your interest in KatzEye Optics products
and if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Rachael Katz, Owner
KatzEyeT Optics
Toll Free: 855-KatzEye (528-9393)
Outside USA: +1.413.743.2523
KatzEye

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-24-2015 at 11:29 PM.