Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
I also like that idea, waiting for an A 400mm 2.8 to pop up so I'm able to pair it w/the 1.4 TC.
The A* 1200/8 comes up 2 or 3 times a year. @Clinton bought his from the Canadian government

01-22-2015, 09:09 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
It's about all I do now. Birds, wildlife. It's definitely not what I thought I'd spend all my time photographing.... and yes, I do see myself 5 years, 10 years later shooting birds.
Thanks for the thoughtful answer. One more Q: Do you, or are you planning on making money off your prints?
Thanks,

M
01-25-2015, 03:14 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For really long stuff try digiscoping.
The PF-CA35 plus the 80mm scope work nicely.... Needs a tripod though. I've used mine mainly for waders...
01-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #34
Veteran Member

This is a useful thread.

It would seem to me that once you get around 500 mm or larger, hand-holding is going to be difficult not only because of weight but because the limited field of view will make it a challenge to frame for your target. I have a cheap 500 mm mirror lens (I wouldn't recommend it at all), but I can hand hold it. However, my lack of steadiness has made it a challenge to frame the shots I want. If I do everything is fine.

What I'm getting at is that I'm thinking one would need a tripod regardless of the system weight.

Going back to the field of view, one should consider what the real differences are. The 560 mm lens is only about 7% smaller than a 600 mm lens. With the K3, you can make up that difference in a crop and still be over 20 MP with the original image. I'm not sure what print size or result you might be shooting for, but the one thing that keeps me honest and practical when looking at reach is thinking about (1) print size (2) resolution needed for that print size and (3) how much can you crop from the K3 to get to that size (or how much can you crop and be happy with the image). Realistically you can probably crop much further for more apparent reach just because even 20 MP is a lot. Of course you do lose some potential detail, but if you are starting at 500~600, you aren't going to do much better anyway.

I also like the earlier suggestion of using a telescope. I've not seen it done for bird photography, but I can't see why it couldn't work if it seems to work well enough for space shots. Again, it's probably just a challenge for the initial set up and framing.

01-26-2015, 08:52 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Thanks for the thoughtful answer. One more Q: Do you, or are you planning on making money off your prints?
Thanks,

M
Yes I do currently make money from selling prints Miguel.

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
This is a useful thread.

It would seem to me that once you get around 500 mm or larger, hand-holding is going to be difficult not only because of weight but because the limited field of view will make it a challenge to frame for your target. I have a cheap 500 mm mirror lens (I wouldn't recommend it at all), but I can hand hold it. However, my lack of steadiness has made it a challenge to frame the shots I want. If I do everything is fine.

What I'm getting at is that I'm thinking one would need a tripod regardless of the system weight.

Going back to the field of view, one should consider what the real differences are. The 560 mm lens is only about 7% smaller than a 600 mm lens. With the K3, you can make up that difference in a crop and still be over 20 MP with the original image. I'm not sure what print size or result you might be shooting for, but the one thing that keeps me honest and practical when looking at reach is thinking about (1) print size (2) resolution needed for that print size and (3) how much can you crop from the K3 to get to that size (or how much can you crop and be happy with the image). Realistically you can probably crop much further for more apparent reach just because even 20 MP is a lot. Of course you do lose some potential detail, but if you are starting at 500~600, you aren't going to do much better anyway.

I also like the earlier suggestion of using a telescope. I've not seen it done for bird photography, but I can't see why it couldn't work if it seems to work well enough for space shots. Again, it's probably just a challenge for the initial set up and framing.
I don't anticipate my next "step up" lens being a hand-holdable one. I know I'll need to reinvest in a heavier-duty tripod and head. Doing a lot of thinking the past few days and I think I'll be perfectly content with the 560 + 1.4 TC. I should start doing bench presses or lifting weights to get my lazy butt in shape for having to lug that around
01-29-2015, 02:51 PM   #36
Veteran Member

What I understand is that you'll be going to invest tons of money into your next set up and gear.

To be honest at this point if I were you thinking bird are the absolute priority for you is to not choose a body or to think that you stay Pentax.

I would take the budget I have into account, the lenses I want to have couting reach and everything and see what fit best. Look honestly how it is going to be with Nikon, Sony, Pentax... And see the lenses, sigma, Pentax, Canon, Sony, Nikon. How you feel them, how the price is acceptable etc. What would you finally prefer ?

When you have the perfect set of lense for a price you can substain, there always going to be some body for under $1000 on APSC or $2000 for FF that is going to matche the lenses. And for the other shootings (event, friends, whatever not bird related) nothing say you can't keep some pentax gear or just buy a 1-2 basic but good quality lenses (like a 24-70 f/2.8 from sigma or a 35 & 50 & 85mm f/1.8).