Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2015, 09:29 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Very easy. The next time someone asks add the price of the gear to the quote. If they want it, they pay for it.

01-22-2015, 09:31 PM   #17
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Very easy. The next time someone asks add the price of the gear to the quote. If they want it, they pay for it.
that's an idea... tell 'em that you'll shoot any brand they want, and then just add the cost of the camera rental to their quote.
01-22-2015, 09:31 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here's another way to think about it: 5 extra jobs per year = a lot of personal-use pentax gear.
01-22-2015, 09:33 PM   #19
Pentaxian

In sales training you're always warned about customer objections. You anticipate them and then rehearse answers. In this case the objection is either Canon or Nikon are perceived to be the best or they've never heard of Pentax. What are the best stock answers for either of those? Are there other wedding photographers who successfully deal with the same queries?

01-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Seriously. What is this going to cost? You have to buy the gear, which isn't just a matter of getting boxes, it is finding what works for you. You have to learn how to make the most of the new gear, learn how to process the shots, learn all the quirks and oddities of the new platform. So throw away two shoots. It isn't a matter of getting good shots, it is learning to express using a new and different platform.

Tell your wife that the best skill a business person needs to learn is to say no to ridiculous demands. If someone wants to pay me extremely well to stand on my head, I will, as long as I get cash up front. Otherwise I provide a service, here are some customers and references, here are some examples.

By the way, yesterday I went out on a shoot with a guy who has Nikon equipment, and another who had Canon. Guess who got the shots. I am fully aware of the limitations of what I shoot with and have learned to get great results with it. Canon has some nice features, so does Nikon, and people who choose those platforms can get very nice results. It is about the shots.

Someone telling you as a professional what technique to use, someone who isn't a photographer, is frankly not someone who you want to work for. They usually are the ones who don't pay. Maybe missing those 6 jobs was a blessing.
01-22-2015, 09:46 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting. A course acquaintance who used PENTAX, recently announced she was getting rid of all her PENTAX gear simply because she had started doing weddings and PENTAX just would not do. I never quite found out exactly what the PENTAX would not do. I don't know if it was a full frame thing or a client thing. I sort of assumed it was a field of view issue but then again I don't have a client oriented bone in my body.
01-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #22

I feel so sorry for you in this situation, I hope you can keep your Pentax gear.

I think the motto "Happy wife, happy life" may apply here
01-22-2015, 09:53 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Have you looked at the problems the D750 is having?

A friend does weddings with Leica M gear, and nice stuff it is, the customers are not concerned with the camera (most of them have never heard of it), but are always happy with his portfolio images and the resulting images from their wedding.

Marketing? Choose words that make it good. The misconception that Pentax isn't good enough is born through ignorance to the camera world in general. If it was me I'd question whether I'd want those customers at all, surely not all of them carry on like that.
Forum member LaurenOE has a photographic business exclusively with Pentax gear.

Last edited by beachgardener; 01-22-2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: add info.
01-22-2015, 10:00 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Firstly I wonder how those clients are as customers? I've heard too many brutal wedding photography stories with bad clients.
Secondly may it simply be an excuse not to choose the specific photographer and/or getting a price negotiation started?

I know one couple that are very successful wedding photographers and while they shoot with Canon they don't ever push their equipment as a selling point, they sell a story and wonderful memories. I'm still sure that even they don't get or take every job possible.
One funny story is that the man once lifted by tripod my tripod with a camera and lens and told me that the setup would be far too heavy for him to use, and that's a guy shooting with a Canon FF. So bigger, heavier and more expensive isn't even close to a selling point to them.

Last edited by VisualDarkness; 01-22-2015 at 10:06 PM.
01-22-2015, 10:01 PM - 3 Likes   #25

It is a business decision. Today I shoot with Pentax for several reasons. The quality of the glass is one of them.

In order of importance:

The photographer, the quality of the light, the quality of the glass, the quality of the camera, is the order of importance.

I do cover my Pentax logos. I do have answers ready. I would produce lower quality work and have to charge more is the first out of my mouth.

I might add I have been shooting since the 70s and have always felt I had the least popular equipment, but then again I smiled, I knew my work would be published.
01-22-2015, 10:02 PM   #26
Pentaxian

A Day In Our Life - Commissioned Documentary Photography

That reminds me, he is using four-thirds cameras (maybe MFT now) and has an account on dpreview (bdcolen) maybe he would be willing to advise you how to deal with these customers that want a canon?
01-22-2015, 10:02 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I was on holiday with a friend who shoots for a local paper. I whip out my camera to take a few shots and he tells me I should sell it and buy a canon if I want to improve my photography. I said 'Huh - what are you talking about???' Following day, he's coveting my 15 and 35 limiteds and saying it's a shame Canon don't make anything like them.

Canon must have some pretty good marketing that really soaks into the brain. Actually, I've seen some additional respect for Pentax since there have been adverts on the back of the Australian newspaper for the 645z - complete with $10k price tag - people get impressed by the price, so now I know some people who think Pentax must be better than Canon.
01-22-2015, 10:07 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The wife and I are having a chat now. Trying to sell her on keeping my beloved Pentax stuff
01-22-2015, 10:12 PM   #29
Site Supporter

It is the portfolio that matters, confidence, showing a good portfolio and say yes I use my brilliant Pentax gear to produce the images
01-22-2015, 10:16 PM   #30

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
People that are that "anal"..well..the "marriage"/ie; funeral, ain't gonna last..no matter what cam is being used...