Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slowhands95128 Quote
I second this idea. The ignorant customer won't even know. Paste on a Canon or Nikon logo...

SNIP SNIP.....
Let the ignorants rule the world. They know quality, status and value when they see it.... 'cause someone very knowledgeable told them what to look for, demand and settle for nothing less !

01-28-2015, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #122
Pentaxian

If after the sales pitch, showing other wedding photos and the like the question comes down to gear, you lost the sale long before that question was asked. It is easy to buy new gear. It is very very hard to put together a portfolio and client reference base that makes you the choice. I'm not criticizing your wife's work, I haven't seen it. My question is why is that issue even brought up unless they weren't overwhelmed by the other?

Remember, this stuff is in the 'emotional sales' territory. The decisions made for weddings don't make sense. They are all about feelings and trying to create this perfect day. If the question is hardware, the whole thing has gone awry long before that.

Ask also where that question is coming from? Either a competitor who is trying to paint you out of the emotional territory sale, or a trusted friend of the bride who will have more influence on the photo shoot than you.

Norm is right. Don't take it as criticism from anyone here. It wasn't the hardware that lost the sale. It may also be that the style your wife has developed appeals to some people and not others. She really really wants to know that before, because it could be that she couldn't please some. Better to find out before taking on the job than after.

I learned from my boss years ago that sometimes the best jobs were the ones that you or the customer walked away from before they started. The energy and frustration trying to make something work that can't is taken away from other jobs where you can do your best.
01-28-2015, 10:07 AM - 2 Likes   #123
Veteran Member

Tell your clients you are shooting with multiple systems and you always bring the gear that is the best suited for the light conditions on that specific day to make sure you will get the best out of it.

Then bring your Pentax gear .

If they ask "Pentax!?", just tell them "Yes! For today, this camera, at this location and with this light will give me the best results and provide you with amazing image quality that you can cherish forever."

01-28-2015, 11:04 AM   #124
Pentaxian

Just curious...but are the lenses you've photographed in your gallery the lenses you own? Do you have other lenses besides those? I'm asking because none of those are all that ideal for wedding photography. They're fine for general photography, though.

01-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Just curious...but are the lenses you've photographed in your gallery the lenses you own? Do you have other lenses besides those? I'm asking because none of those are all that ideal for wedding photography. They're fine for general photography, though.
Nothing wrong with the gear he has as long as he knows how to get the best out of it.
For photographing people you don't need "razor sharp" lenses.

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-28-2015 at 11:20 AM.
01-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #126
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have in order, DA 15 LTD, DA* 16-50, 18-55 Kit lens, FA 28 1:2.8 (actually a fantastic wedding lens), FA 35-80, FA 43, FA 50 1:1.4, FA 50 1:1.7, Tamron 90 Macro, F 70-210, F80-200, F100-300
01-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
I have in order, DA 15 LTD, DA* 16-50, 18-55 Kit lens, FA 28 1:2.8 (actually a fantastic wedding lens), FA 35-80, FA 43, FA 50 1:1.4, FA 50 1:1.7, Tamron 90 Macro, F 70-210, F80-200, F100-300
Thanks! That answers my question. Some of your higher end lenses weren't among those that you shot in your gallery.

---------- Post added 01-28-2015 at 03:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Nothing wrong with the gear he has as long as he knows how to get the best out of it.
For photographing people you don't need "razor sharp" lenses.
True, but his wife's problem seems to be one of perception. If someone knows enough to prefer a FF Canon or Nikon over a Pentax, then they'd surely be able to recognize kit lenses and older lenses, as well, I would think. There's nothing wrong with older lenses, btw. Almost every lens I own is from the film days and most of those pre-date autofocus. But I'm shooting stationary subjects, not weddings. It makes a difference.

01-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! That answers my question. Some of your higher end lenses weren't among those that you shot in your gallery.

---------- Post added 01-28-2015 at 03:50 PM ----------

A few I had people locally that wanted them.
01-28-2015, 03:12 PM   #129
Veteran Member

I think the reason why these people want Canikon is not because they are better, but because of perception. Either that they think Canikon is better (good marketing, who the hell is Pentax, some Chinese fake brand maybe?) or that they are worried guests think they were cheap to hire a photographer who can't afford to go with the two major and well known brands.

The latter is a problem, because even when you explain to them they may worry about the guests. Yes, they could again let it flow into conversations that they picked this photographer because of the portfolio, but that is work. Why go through the effort?

And of course there is the possibility that they are just not that impressed with the work or price tag and want a way out without insulting the photographer.
01-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #130

Personally, after reading all this I would tell her no and be firm about it. If as you said, you paid for the bulk of your own gear with your money you earned yourself, and you enjoy your gear and feel it is what allows you to express yourself in the way that you like the best, then what she wants has no bearing on anything. If she wants to change for what she feels is a legitimate reason, then let her - with HER gear that she owns and only that.

Will she be mad? Maybe, but who cares. Why are you required to sacrifice your creative needs in order to promote hers? I've shot and gotten paid for quite some time. I use what I want to and, barring any legitimate technical concerns, if someone doesn't like how I work then I have no interest in working with them. It's OK to say no, and as pointed out in prior posts, you're probably doing yourself a favor as those kind of clients often end up being a PITA.

No one's going to tell me what gear I can use, how I'm allowed to be creative, or how to spend my own money, including my wife.
01-29-2015, 12:33 AM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
DA 15 LTD, DA* 16-50, FA 28 1:2.8, FA 43, FA 50 1:1.7, Tamron 90 Macro
These would be great for weddings, that and your K-3 (2 x K-3's would be better), not sure what all the fuss is about

Don't under estimate the power of natural light in weddings instead of flash, flash, flash all the time, there are some reasonably fast lenses there to help that along, try some tests and see how the portfolio can change. Visit a website or business place of other wedding photographers (don't tell them who you are and check out their portfolios, those that use predominantly natural light their portfolios will stand out, yeah a spot of fill flash for catch lights is needed sometimes, and flash in reception areas if needed sometimes too, but wedding shots that use flash, flash, flash all the time seem to bland for my liking.
I applaud you for taking on weddings as it is by no means an easy job.

Last edited by beachgardener; 01-29-2015 at 12:46 AM. Reason: add info.