Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Am I making the right choice?

I know there are a million and one threads about this and I am sure everyone is sick of reading them. I frankly never thought I would find myself here (and especially not today, because I just bought 4 more lenses today!) But I get home and my wife is livid(she is a wedding photographer). She states that she was turned down for another wedding because the customers didnt like the fact that she shot with Pentax. She has a portfolio and shows every customer how great the photos she takes are. But it is the 5th time in the last year that she has lost a job because the customer frowns on the fact that she isnt shooting Canon or Nikon. So she says tonight we are switching to one of the two, either a 6D or a D750. So here I am with lightroom open editing pictures of every piece of Pentax equipment I own and I am feeling very remorseful. I truly in my gut feel like I am making a bad choice, like I am getting a divorce with my beloved Pentax. I can honestly say I am VERY dissapointed with the lack of a Pentax FF camera and I have been waiting on pins and needles for 6 years. But THIS TIME i feel like it is really around the corner. I have asked the wife at least 6 times if she is REALLY sure she wants to do this. Each time she responds with a yes, but is there something I can say to convince her otherwise? I understand her frustration, but at the same time we have always been very proud Pentax shooters and also have been proud to be different than the norm. Part of me wants to be a mean husband and put my foot down and tell her this isnt happening (her income from weddings has only paid for 2 or 3 lenses) 75% of the equipment I own I have paid for out of my hard earned money. I am fairly sad right now and not sure what to think or feel about this.

01-22-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

$$$ > brand.

Sorry.

*** Years ago, I built "boutique" computers - really cool, small customized units. I had a specific ethos for my work, and that included the components that I used. If a potential client was stubborn about certain hardware that didn't (or couldn't) fit in with what I wanted to do, I had no problem turning down the business. But this wasn't my core business, so it was easy for me to turn down work. I'm assuming your wife doesn't have that luxury, and she wants to grow her business, so she has to do what she has to do to get clients.

It seems to me that if the clients are fixated on Canikon, a Pentax FF won't make much of a difference.

Can't you still shoot Pentax while the wife shoots something else?

Last edited by luftfluss; 01-22-2015 at 08:52 PM.
01-22-2015, 08:47 PM - 6 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here's a thought, get a Canon label printed up and paste it on your camera. Stupid people won't know the difference anyway.
01-22-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Even if Pentax came out with ff, it would still say Pentax on it. Try explaining that to clients. "But it's a full frame camera, like Canikon." "A what camera?"

Get label tape and print Canon or Nikon on it, slap it over the Pentax logo. Better yet, print Canikon on it, tell all prospectable clients that it's the latest body because of the merger between the two. In all honesty though, if they're that nit picky about brands, how do you think they'll be about the photo's when the light isn't just right?

01-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I frankly think its stupid, She says everyone "oooohs and ahhhhs" at her pictures but then turn their noses up when she says Pentax. Frankly shouldnt they be caring about the end result and not what tool you used to get it?
01-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
I know there are a million and one threads about this and I am sure everyone is sick of reading them. I frankly never thought I would find myself here (and especially not today, because I just bought 4 more lenses today!) But I get home and my wife is livid(she is a wedding photographer). She states that she was turned down for another wedding because the customers didnt like the fact that she shot with Pentax. She has a portfolio and shows every customer how great the photos she takes are. But it is the 5th time in the last year that she has lost a job because the customer frowns on the fact that she isnt shooting Canon or Nikon. So she says tonight we are switching to one of the two, either a 6D or a D750. So here I am with lightroom open editing pictures of every piece of Pentax equipment I own and I am feeling very remorseful. I truly in my gut feel like I am making a bad choice, like I am getting a divorce with my beloved Pentax. I can honestly say I am VERY dissapointed with the lack of a Pentax FF camera and I have been waiting on pins and needles for 6 years. But THIS TIME i feel like it is really around the corner. I have asked the wife at least 6 times if she is REALLY sure she wants to do this. Each time she responds with a yes, but is there something I can say to convince her otherwise? I understand her frustration, but at the same time we have always been very proud Pentax shooters and also have been proud to be different than the norm. Part of me wants to be a mean husband and put my foot down and tell her this isnt happening (her income from weddings has only paid for 2 or 3 lenses) 75% of the equipment I own I have paid for out of my hard earned money. I am fairly sad right now and not sure what to think or feel about this.
Listen to your wife. This is business, not a brand cult.

M
01-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #7

Why do people have to be so shallow. If your pictures are good enough from her work who cares what ya shoot. I too am a lifer and wont change for anyone. Dont sell and just cover the name with black tape.

01-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #8
osv
Veteran Member

how do all of these customers know what kind of camera she is using?

has she put the word "pentax" on her literature, or her website? i wonder if she is putting this roadblock in front of the client.
01-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
how do all of these customers know what kind of camera she is using?

has she put the word "pentax" on her literature, or her website? i wonder if she is putting this roadblock in front of the client.
She has told me when she meets with a client sometimes they ask. Whenever they ask she just tells them. I have always told her to dodge the question and tell them it doesnt matter what she shoots with.
01-22-2015, 09:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, weddings are usually a stressful time, and most people when stressed become conservative. People have heard of Canon & Nikon and know that those brands are popular (and so must be good, right?). Pentax is often an unknown and folks who are planning "the perfect wedding" often don't want to go with what they don't know.
01-22-2015, 09:11 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would these people ask a carpenter what brand of hammer he uses? Or what brand of scalpel a surgeon has?

Have to wonder, if they are so picky upfront, is the work going to be worth it,
01-22-2015, 09:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Here's a thought, get a Canon label printed up and paste it on your camera. Stupid people won't know the difference anyway.
Simple and potentially effective. Anyone who would actually turn you down solely based on
your equipment brand, especially AFTER seeing and liking your finished work, can not be said to know
the difference between a Canon and Pentax with a Canon sticker. I would give serious consideration
to trying it at least just once before selling a single piece of equipment. And if it were me faced
with that dilemma, I'd keep the sticker in my pocket and wait for the objection, then affix sticker
to camera and say, "Problem solved".
01-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #13
Forum Member

She has told me when she meets with a client sometimes they ask. Whenever they ask she just tells them. I have always told her to dodge the question and tell them it doesnt matter what she shoots with.
It matters IMO, if it's a paying gig then customer is always right. If I ask my photographer about what kind of equipment he/she is using because I'm curious, and I get some pompous answer like, it doesn't matter why don't you just look at my samples? Fair enough, and I'm gonna take my business elsewhere, because either you have insecurity issues, or you are trying to hide something, which I really could care less to try to find out.

To be fair, if I'm paying someone a bunch of money to take my wedding photos, I expect a big-ass full-frame camera, maybe it's vanity, maybe it's a little irrational, but I think it makes people feel a little bit extra special.
01-22-2015, 09:16 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If your income depends on it, then get a canon or a nikon. What's at stake is both money and an argument with your wife, neither are worth it.

That being said, you can keep some of the Pentax equipment and when clients ask you, you can say you shoot multiple systems.
You can have the 16-50 on the K-3 and have and a 70-200 on a canon. Scratch that, get a 400mm F2.8, they will think you are even more pro! (jk)

Also, instead of 6D, maybe you could get an older 1-series full frame, which looks even more impressive to clients, for the same price .

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/354004
01-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #15
Pentaxian

... So she says tonight we are switching to one of the two, either a 6D or a D750.
The 6D has good center-point focusing in low light. The 750 is recalled for flare issues :-)

Here you go.

Canon EOS-6D Digital SLR Camera Body, Special Promotional Bundle 8035B002 Z

I went for this when the deal was for a 70D/printer/bag/SD card for $799. Sold the printer to a co-worker for $100. I almost went for this one, but decided on a couple used lenses instead.

Or one of the alternative deals.

Canon Canon 6D Digital SLR Cameras | Buy, Compare & Review | Adorama