Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2015, 07:28 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My K-3 is coming back from Precision Camera, the rep said they replaced 'main circuit' among other things and I was curious where it was relative to the sensor. Googled it and came upon this post. Now I know.

Wow! *THIS* thread is a keeper for generations. Thanks brewmaster15!

07-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Certainly a very informative set of photos and thank you for posting. I did replace the front cover on a K-x, so I have gone part way through the process. I needed to get it back together, so I was using a wrist strap, etc. to prevent zapping it with static. Just curious if you still have the parts, or if you listed them as a "some assembly required" kit?
07-08-2015, 10:13 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Some geeky notes here.

Parts on main board:
  • The IC with "PENTAX" branding is the PRIME image processor.
  • The two Analog Devices chips are ADCs used when reading out the image sensor.
  • The Spansion chip above the image processor is the flash memory used to store camera settings.
  • The Hynix chip to right of image processor provides 64 MB of DDR2 RAM for the image processor. (Just 64 MB—this is probably why the buffer is so shallow, 5 JPEG/4 RAW @ 3.5 fps.)
  • The round metallic device to the left of the ADCs is likely an SMD supercapacitor used to provide power for the RTC.
Image sensor assembly:
  • The cover of the sensor plate has three rubies, which are used as bearings.
  • The grid of photosites on the sensor acts as a diffraction grating, producing the rainbow pattern. This is essentially the same reason optical discs have a rainbow reflection.
---------- Post added 07-09-15 at 01:31 AM ----------

A few years ago, I fiddled with a much smaller photoflash capacitor rated to 330V on a disposable camera. The charging circuit was powered by a single AA battery and came to a full charge in about 3-5 seconds.

I wired the leads on the capacitor to alligator cables and played around with it a bit. Massive sparks and a loud bang noise (likely a sonic boom as the air expands thermally at a supersonic rate) whenever I touched anything metallic with those leads. Quite a few things were scorched by this device. (I somehow even blew the milliammeter function on my DMM with it.)

Never really shocked myself badly but tried charging the cap to various levels (by letting the battery only make contact for brief periods) and touched the leads to my left leg a few inches apart with voltages up to about 100 VDC as measured on my multimeter At 50 V, it already hurts pretty badly, and I couldn't stand more than about 100 V. Can't imagine what the full 330 V feels like...

—DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 07-09-2015 at 12:31 AM.