Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #1

K-50, BIF focus mode

I am using a K-50 with a sigma 70-200 for photographing ducks. Any advise on the "AF active area"? should I be using the 11point, 5 point or select point modes? Also any idea how the Expanded area AF works..is it helpful?

01-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use spot metering as too many points causes problems focusing. Can't answer for the second question because I use MF for shooting BIF.

Last edited by photolady95; 01-23-2015 at 11:27 AM. Reason: removed first sentence irrelevant to question.
02-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #3

I'm no expert but since no one else has really answered your question, I'll give it a shot.

I've set my K-50 up to use "back button AF" focus and disabled focus when the shutter button is pressed halfway. This thread explains the process.

For AF active area I use single center point (spot) most of the time, occasionally I use (auto) 5 point. Attempting to manually set a focus point while following a BIF would, for me, be impossible. I also sometimes manually focus especially if there are branches or other objects in the way that tend to throw off the autofocus. I just looked and I have AF expanded area on but my understanding is that it's not active in spot mode.

Here is another thread that discusses settings for birds in flight.

Hope that helps some.