Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-24-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably a Crazy Question...

The perils of being idle: While sitting around today being mindless, I started thinking about an image stabilization lens on a Pentax with image stabilization. What would happen? Would the image stabilization be twice as good or would they offset each other and result in no stabilization?

Thoughts?

01-24-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There are some lens for Pentax that have stabilization built in. If both are on, it can result in blurry images since they work against each other.
01-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Generally accepted wisdom it that they would work against each other. Use one or the other, not both.
01-24-2015, 09:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
mee
Veteran Member

They work against each other until they tear a hole in the space-time continuum thus pulling the Pentax digital full frame body from our reality. Don't do it.

01-24-2015, 10:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Varies with mfr. Sony's new e-mount IBIS system on the FE body, is designed to augment native E-mount lens OSS, i.e. they will work together.

I'm not sure that is true of any other camera system than the Sony e-mount.
01-24-2015, 11:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I saw this tested on an Olympus several years ago with a stabilized Panasonic (I think) lens. It was awful. They went wild competing against each other.
01-25-2015, 01:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Unlike the Sony example above, you're obviously talking about a 3rd-party optically stabilized lens on K-mount. So there's no way Pentax will have designed their SR to work with it - they'll work against each other. Choose one or the other - which is better may depend on your shooting situation. I believe for standard still subjects (no panning) the SR has been shown to work as well as or slightly better than currently available in-lens stabilization systems.

01-26-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

I suspected that they would fight each other. I really do not have any specific lens purchase planned - this was just more of a mental exercise. Although the next thought that comes to mind is a synchronized duo for even greater stability than one or the other can produce alone. Just thinking.
01-26-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice try :-) Even the Sony IBIS works with Sony Lens OSS by disabling 3 of the 5-axis IBIS which are redundant to that of the lens. I believe most stabilization systems tell you to disable them before mounting on a tripod - because it will fight with the tripod.

The consensus here appears to be: If not designed to work together - they probably won't.

Here's something that should make Pentax owners smug. Sony threw out any idea of putting stabilization into the first Nex cameras, although they did put some OSS into the Sony zooms. Here they are, about 4 camera generations later, putting IBIS into the A7 series FF bodies starting wtih the A7 II. I guess they decided Pentax had a good idea after all :-) Perhaps more to the point, they guessed that a lot of shooters were going to use legacy lenses, and the applicability of IBIS to all those legacy lenses might make a lot of buyers happy - but thats just speculation.
01-26-2015, 03:45 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
They work against each other until they tear a hole in the space-time continuum thus pulling the Pentax digital full frame body from our reality. Don't do it.
I didn't know there WAS a Pentax digital full frame body in our reality. Maybe we show tear a hole in subspace to pull on into our reality then. From a parallel universe, where Pentax is the market leader and Canon and Nikon are broke.