Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K100D and SD card speed

Sorry, Ive looked but cant find a simple answer.

Is there a minimum speed card that wont slow down the K100D?
or should we be getting the fastest available?

?

02-02-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

if the speed u take pictures at warrants it yes u should.. if not save your money..

a fast card will enable the camera to clear its five jpeg buffer in about five second.. a slow one will take about ten seconds..

at present its the card that is the limitter not the camera..

a rough example..one second per jpeg fast card.. two seconds per jpeg slow card..

think five times longer for raw..

trog
02-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good question, I was looking to buy one yesterday when I noticed there was a type 4 and a type 6, which one can the K's handle?
02-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by trog100 Quote
at present its the card that is the limitter not the camera..
I have purchased a 144x card and a 72x card. Both clear buffer in about the same time. I think the camera "tops out" at under x72. The only benefit to a 144x is the copy time to the computer. It's DEFINITELY copies the contents quicker than its slower sibling.

02-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

i tested a bunch of them.. its the write time that matters..

the so called 144x card and a 72x times mean little.. my test was to copy a 500 meg file from my computer to the card and time how long it takes..

the times taken varied by a factor of three from the slowest to the fastest.. the results compared well to how long the k100 takes to empty its buffer..

a fast expensive sandisk ultra 11 for example takes just under five seconds for the camera to empty its five jpeg buffer.. it then takes one picture per second as long as the shutter is held pressed..

a slower cheaper or none branded card can take three times as long with many variations in between.. but it can also be nearly as fast as the expensive card..

the bottom line here being the xxx speed figures on the card mean very little.. i have one claimed to be 172x card among the slowest of the lot and an old 512 lexar with no speed figures on it at all faster than the sandisk ultra extreme..

copying to the computer steven is read times.. in a real test the write times on both your cards would have been similar which is why u never noticed much difference..

u are mistaken in thinking its the camera that maxes out.. it isnt.. the speed figures on your test cards were telling fibs..

and u still have no idea which claimed speed figure is nearer the truth.. he he

five seconds for the camera to empty its five jpeg buffer is fast-ish.. ten seconds is average to slow..

run the test and see what u have..

trog

Last edited by trog100; 02-02-2007 at 03:19 PM.
02-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #6
Inactive Account

There are two important factors to take note of, one is write speed and the other is read speed.

Many so called 144x cards only perform at that speed when data is being read from the card, many write at a miserable 32x!

The card should be able to handle continious JPEG writing until the card is full without slowing down the camera. Anything less is the card limiting the camera.

When writing Raw files my 2GB 150x (read) 133x (write) card, can handle 9 PEF's and 11 DNG's before the camera buffer is slowed by the card. The reason the number of PEF's is less is that some of the buffer memory is utilised for compression, whereas the DNG files are uncompressed. The time taken for the card to write the PEF's is about 40% less than the DNG's due to the smaller (compressed) file sizes. It takes about 12 seconds for the card to finish writing a full burst of 9 PEF's and approx 17 secs for 11 DNG's.

My other two 2GB 133x (read) approx 50x? (write) cards appear to be at least half that, about 40 secs for 11 DNG's, not so useful!

I read somewhere that the Sandisk Extreme III cards can handle 15 DNG's in continuous burst mode before the camera rate slows down.

From that perspective, the K10D appears to be faster than any card currently available - Impressive!