Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2008, 10:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Hi,

QuoteOriginally posted by skydragoness Quote
Madbrain: Yeah I did the long format

Falconeye: It's out of warranty for sure. I think I bought the camera in Nov. of 2006 when it first started hitting the stores. I also bought it online (a mistake I won't make again, but there is only *one* independent camera shop in my area and they didn't get the K10 until the following year).

I can't image it being super expensive of a repair through Pentax because it's not something that has to do w/ the camera's sensor.

I'll give them a ring tommorow.

Thanks for all your help guys. Guess I'll have to get by with my boyfriend's Olympus E-300 with a kit lens... need to convince him to get a tele :ugh:
Did you buy your K10D with a credit card ? Some cards extend your warranty an additional year. So it may still be under warranty.

06-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Hi,

Did you buy your K10D with a credit card ? Some cards extend your warranty an additional year. So it may still be under warranty.
I've never heard of that before. I believe I used my visa/check card however. Don't think I get any protection with that.
06-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skydragoness Quote
I've never heard of that before. I believe I used my visa/check card however. Don't think I get any protection with that.
Even some VISA check cards have this benefit, particularly platinum check cards. Call your bank to inquire, it doesn't cost anything.
06-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

skydragoness, How about taking your oldest, cheapest to replace card and spray some contact cleaner on the contacts.
Then when it's almost evaporated insert it into the camera, and take it out a couple of times.

Spray it again, and do the same thing.

Then try the camera again.

I'm just thinking that if the cameras contacts are dirty it might be what's causing the problems

06-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #20

I did that already, that was the last thing I did before biting the bullet.

Camera was sent via UPS insured to Colorado this morning. Should get there Wed.
07-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #21

Update: Well Pentax has it at the moment, I called a week or so ago and they said they have to replace the circuit board. Woooo! $275 .. not that bad considering the camera's original price. I can't wait to have it back. In the meantime, I bought a K100D as a backup camera.
07-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #22
Forum Member

I had the same issues with a bad 8gb card.
I used Active File recovery...and pluged the camera directly as the card reader.
The software succesfully recovered all my pictures in about 20 minutes and also "repaired" the card. It actually removed the bad sectors from the card so now its a 6GB
Serve me well to buy cheap cards on Ebay

07-21-2011, 07:39 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K10D is acting up in a similar fashion. I can get a memory card error message on a brand new card, formatted in camera. Remove the card and re-install and it works again for a while. Mine only does it outside on sunny days so it is likely a heat issue causing a bad connection inside the camera. I can shoot indoors for 500 or more shots without problems. If it's showing that message with all cards, it's likely a problem in the camera. Mine is 4 years old now with 30K shots so I guess a trip to the repair shop is in order. My workaround for the moment is to leave the camera off until I want to shoot. For myself, I might just upgrade if it's going to cost $275.