Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2006, 08:14 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hurray for AA

Today, I was taking pictures at my daughters water polo match. I have CRV3 batteries in there, and had over 1500 shots and it just went to the "half battery" icon last night. I figured I had plenty to go. 2 minutes left in the half, and I get the dreaded "battery depleted" message. Well, I ran across the street to Home Depot and picked up an 8 pack of Lithium AA's and was back before the 3rd quarter started.

This is one reason I chose the K100D and it paid off. In the 4th quarter, my daughter shot and scored a goal. Had I not had the option of AA batteries, I would have missed this.

Jeff

09-28-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I'll second that!
Hip Hip Hooray for AA (& Crv3) Batteries.
09-28-2006, 09:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I am with you on that one. I'm still a little bummed out, that the new K10D will have proprietary batteries.
09-28-2006, 09:34 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll have to make list of plusses and minuses between the K100D and the K10D. I love the K10D with all it's features but I wonder if it would be too much camera for a beginner like me. Also for the money the 100 might be the better purchase, then spend difference on and extra lenes. I have a Canon A80 which uses batteries so that's a good backup.

09-29-2006, 01:24 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Hurray for AA

QuoteOriginally posted by RedHawk Quote
I am with you on that one. I'm still a little bummed out, that the new K10D will have proprietary batteries.
I have to agree with you Red Hawk, there is just so much charge to proprietary batteries. I guess that means I'll have to spend an extra $100.00 and stock up some extra batteries and a car charger (If they have one). Right now I carry 4 sets of fully charged Nimh's (2700 mah) where ever I go. Usually On a photo shoot I will go thru 4 1gb and 2 2gb SD cards and all 4 sets of batteries. I just wonder how many extra proprietary batteries I'm going to need with my new K10D. (boy Oh boy will this make the bag heavy).

Well all I can say is I'll wait and see how well the new camera preforms, and how long the batteries last. I think I had better do this before I take only the K10D for a walk at a photo shoot. I'll always have my DL (trusty old girl) to fall back on. (thank God cameras don't get jealous or I'd be devorced).

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
09-29-2006, 04:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I would have to agree. The battery is the only minus so far, for me. But, it will be a while before I get the 10D.

David, you go thru 8Gb - wow - shooting RAW I assume!
09-29-2006, 04:20 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Hurray for AA

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I would have to agree. The battery is the only minus so far, for me. But, it will be a while before I get the 10D.

David, you go thru 8Gb - wow - shooting RAW I assume!
Hi JC,
Yes I go thru 8GB on a normal shoot, and Yes I only shoot in RAW. the first thing my instructor in school (a very long time ago, before film I think) told us the key to getting that one shot (the Keeper) is to shoot as much as you can, and shoot everything. He then told us he wanted 100 rolls of film per week shot by all of us. I'm glad now it was Black and white. We also had to develop it and turn in all of our shots. He would then pick out the Keepers, and the worst and do a Cr. (He was not kind at all, but you did learn what was good and what was great.) I'm just now getting back into photography and learning how to deal with digital. His words and his belittleing is starting to pay off. (I think)

So now you know why I dislike the proprietary Batteries idea. But I guess I'll have to get use to it.

Good Shooting.
09-29-2006, 05:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
I have to agree with you Red Hawk, there is just so much charge to proprietary batteries. I guess that means I'll have to spend an extra $100.00 and stock up some extra batteries and a car charger (If they have one). Right now I carry 4 sets of fully charged Nimh's (2700 mah) where ever I go. Usually On a photo shoot I will go thru 4 1gb and 2 2gb SD cards and all 4 sets of batteries. I just wonder how many extra proprietary batteries I'm going to need with my new K10D. (boy Oh boy will this make the bag heavy).

Well all I can say is I'll wait and see how well the new camera preforms, and how long the batteries last. I think I had better do this before I take only the K10D for a walk at a photo shoot. I'll always have my DL (trusty old girl) to fall back on. (thank God cameras don't get jealous or I'd be devorced).

Good Shooting.
Fully charged LiOn ought to be enough for 1200 shots what equals 12GB of 6mpix raw files.
Anyway I hope they make a battery module that will take some sort of lithiums like Nikon did it.

09-29-2006, 08:06 AM   #9
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by jsundin Quote
Today, I was taking pictures at my daughters water polo match. I have CRV3 batteries in there, and had over 1500 shots and it just went to the "half battery" icon last night. I figured I had plenty to go. 2 minutes left in the half, and I get the dreaded "battery depleted" message. Well, I ran across the street to Home Depot and picked up an 8 pack of Lithium AA's and was back before the 3rd quarter started.

This is one reason I chose the K100D and it paid off. In the 4th quarter, my daughter shot and scored a goal. Had I not had the option of AA batteries, I would have missed this.

Jeff

I have CRV-3s in the camera and an extra set. I like the fact that they will only go into the camera one way. Idiot (Me) Proof.
09-29-2006, 10:09 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
Anyway I hope they make a battery module that will take some sort of lithiums like Nikon did it.
They will.
http://pentaxlife.com/some-facts-about-k10d

It seems...
09-29-2006, 11:13 AM   #11

The fact that the K100D can use AA batteries was a BIG part of why I chose it too. Had I gotten a camera with a proprietary battery, my very next purchase would have been a second battery pack (for $30-$70 depending on model). Before my K100D arrived, I went to Wal-Mart and got an 8-pack of 2650mah Duracell NiMH rechargeables for $15. I keep one set in the camera and one set fully charged as backup. They last quite a while on a charge and I'm never caught without. Not bad for $15.
09-29-2006, 01:03 PM   #12
Forum Member

Now that battery life has greatly improved I can live with AAs. However I came to dislike them when shooting with my first digital which ran out of power after 125-150 shots.

It was a real pain having to juggle eight batteries when out shooting. I really liked the "one lithium" feature of my next cameras. I can stick one of those puppies in my pocket and never notice that it's there until I need it.

And since I was able to get extra lithiums for $10-15 cost wasn't an issue.
09-29-2006, 06:13 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really love using lithiums in my DS2- each set lasts me about 2 months! The fact that the K10D won't use AA's is going to be a true pain

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-29-2006, 08:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter

AA batts

I have 2 different DSLR systems (yeah, I never seem to do anything the easy way). The DS takes AA and the Olympus E300 takes proprietary battery. Quite truthfully each battery type has so many + and - I don't consider one better than the other. The AA mean you will be constantly fiddling with changing batts (unless you use disposables). If you use disposables it costs per shot and you are throwing more into landfills. Proprietary costs more for the batts and is a pain if you have to go somewhere with no or the wrong electricity. The only win/win I see is a camera that takes all the above batts. Actually I don't see why Pentax doesn't improve the electronics in their DSLRs to allow using rechargeable CRVs. My Maha AA charger will work on any voltage in the world. This has to be a lot more difference, than between CRV and AA. I would also like to see the Pentax flashes modified to take rechargeable CRV/AA batts.
thanks
barondla
10-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #15
Forum Member

I find this an interesting thread because of battery issues I've had.
I had a Nikon PS and it used proprietary batteries. It would burn thru them too. So I got a couple extra.
For those that are upset about the cost of the 'proprietary' batteries, I suggest you check ebay. There are lots of aftermarket
replacements that are much less expensive.

I just got a K100D and thought I'd outsmarted the system by buying some rechargeable CRV3's before reading the manual.
Seems the problem with them is that they are close to 4 volts
rather than the 3 volts of a pair of AA's or a disposable CRV3.
I have some Nmh AA's that I use in my GPS that work fine in the
camera and seem to last quite a while. The problem is that they don't work so well in the cold.

I did find that I could use a single CRV3 rechargeable and 2
Nmh AA's and it seems to work ok - the voltage is only a volt over
what 4 AA's would be and that hopefully will be still high enough in
the cold. I know this may be a bit risky, but I'm a gambler with
an electrical engineering background so I'll risk it.

For those that shoot soo many pictures and go thru so many batteries, I have a suggestion.

The camera uses 6 volts. Why not get some sort of big 6 volt battery pack for use in a fanny pack or belt pack and connect to the AC adaptor socket on the camera. Bet you could shoot all day
on that and then some. A lantern battery or a computer battery back up style battery would be ideal. Just make sure it's 6 volts.

I think it's quite a racket that they charge so much for ac adapters and such, since it's standard voltages for this stuff.
I've seen the AC adapter at $50 - you can get a generic one for
$5 - just gotta get the right plug.

If anyone's interested - I could look into a belt pack like I'm suggesting - should be pretty easy to rig up.