Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
First experience with Precision Camera

Happy overall. They received my K-50 on 1/6/15, and I got it back yesterday, so not horrible time, considering the distance between the two coasts. They replaced a "diaphragm block" (looked it up, and it seems to have something to do with the aperture assembly), and cleaned the camera inside and out -- including the inside of my VF (very cool, because I had some crap in there). They also recalibrated the AF. The only thing I didn't like, was that there was zero communication along the way. I followed the progress on the "repair tracker" on their website, and that was my only link to knowing if anything was even going on. Everything was automated. I checked the status one morning,; it hadn't changed; was going to call them when I got home from work; checked the status again -- and there was a tracking number for shipping. I would hope that if there had been some delay, there would have been something along the lines of human communication, but we never got to that point, so no harm -- no foul.

Definitely a better experience than what was predicted by some of the Precision repair threads in the forum, so thankful for that. And thankful for the issue happening a month before the warranty expired, too. Saved the cost of at least a $200 repair.

01-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems like they are professional and very competent.
01-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The quality of the work and the fact that they have an online way to check are the most important parts for me. Emails are nice but the bottom line is how long and did they do it right IMHO.
01-27-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think most of the repair places do not communicate with the owners of the equipment. I had to send in a Panasonic under warranty, and I heard nothing; one day the camera showed up on my doorstep!

01-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #5
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The quality of the work and the fact that they have an online way to check are the most important parts for me. Emails are nice but the bottom line is how long and did they do it right IMHO.
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I think most of the repair places do not communicate with the owners of the equipment. I had to send in a Panasonic under warranty, and I heard nothing; one day the camera showed up on my doorstep!
I hear both of you. Guess I'm showing my age here. I think communication is an important piece of the puzzle. I make my job a lot easier by keeping folks in the loop as I'm resolving their problems. Plus it's a rated piece in a lot of electronic transactions (eBay immediately comes to mind). My transaction with them was going to be important, because if it had went poorly, I was going to have a decision to make moving forward. They being the sole Pentax repair contractor leaves you little choice on that end, and if they did it right would hopefully be a forgone conclusion. Like I said, the whole deal turned out pretty well.
01-27-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

" Guess I'm showing my age here."

Well, I'm in the "old age" category; and times definitely have changed with most transactions, etc., being done by an automated system. I would assume, if the repair places had to send e-mails, etc., to each person; it would be time consuming and require additional people on staff. This would trickle down to added cost for those no longer under warranty.
01-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well....I guess they think the old adage....no news is good news

Good to hear it went well. I have been planning on sending in my K-30 for a routine extended warranty check up but I was hesitant until after all of the CRIS move had settled.

01-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing. I just sent my K-3 in...
01-27-2015, 06:27 PM   #9
Closed Account

Original Poster
I was having extreme shutter lag when shooting at f/2.8 on any lens, and after some burst action today, definitely seems good to go. The full tune up is icing on the cake.
02-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bad experience with them

I recently sent a Pentax FA lens to Precision Camera for repairing overexposure problem plus cleaning internal dust. A few days later, I received the lens and my CC was charged ~$170. Upon checking the lens, I found nothing was repaired or done. Dust particles are still there. The lens still has same overexposure problem - lens doesn't stop down for first several f stops. In a word, all f values are off as before. Really weird - they didn't appear to repair anything. They didn't contact me either.

I have sent them an email since it is weekend. I also contacted Pentax Support who said they will send a message to Precision Camera. Will see...
03-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #11

Precision Camera - abysmal customer service

Wow - it's almost like we dealt with different repair companies! I sent my 16-50 lens off for repair in early December. After three months of them not answering the phone and not responding to emails, I decided to try working through Pentax support, figuring they might have some pull with the jokers at Precision Camera. Two days after contacting Pentax, I received an email from Pentax telling me that my lens had been shipped to me via UPS that morning. I heard nothing from Precision Camera, and of course they didn't bother to send a tracking number. I really have no idea if it is actually on the way or when it will arrive. And, I have no idea if they actually did the repair, another common problem with Precision Camera. All I can do is wait and see.

Really, avoid Precision Camera if you can. Their customer service is non-existent. They don't answer the phone. They don't respond to emails. If you keep trying on a daily basis, and if you do it for a couple of weeks, you *might* eventually get someone on the phone, but even then, they don't follow through on their promises. It has been an awful and frustrating experience.

If you want another data point, check out the Yelp reviews - Precision Camera - Photography Stores & Services - Enfield, CT - Yelp . Just about every review past 2010 is a 1 star review. There are a couple of 5 star reviews, but they are definitely the exception.

My advice - take your repair business elsewhere - anywhere else, just don't use Precision Camera.
03-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ericblenders Quote
Wow - it's almost like we dealt with different repair companies! I sent my 16-50 lens off for repair in early December. After three months of them not answering the phone and not responding to emails, I decided to try working through Pentax support, figuring they might have some pull with the jokers at Precision Camera. Two days after contacting Pentax, I received an email from Pentax telling me that my lens had been shipped to me via UPS that morning. I heard nothing from Precision Camera, and of course they didn't bother to send a tracking number. I really have no idea if it is actually on the way or when it will arrive. And, I have no idea if they actually did the repair, another common problem with Precision Camera. All I can do is wait and see.

Really, avoid Precision Camera if you can. Their customer service is non-existent. They don't answer the phone. They don't respond to emails. If you keep trying on a daily basis, and if you do it for a couple of weeks, you *might* eventually get someone on the phone, but even then, they don't follow through on their promises. It has been an awful and frustrating experience.

If you want another data point, check out the Yelp reviews - Precision Camera - Photography Stores & Services - Enfield, CT - Yelp . Just about every review past 2010 is a 1 star review. There are a couple of 5 star reviews, but they are definitely the exception.

My advice - take your repair business elsewhere - anywhere else, just don't use Precision Camera.
Not my experience, though they did drop the ball internally in regards to expediting the warranty authorization through Pentax. It is still not clear who was asleep a the wheel on that one.

BTW: Welcome to the Pentax Forums! While it is generally poor form to join just to post rants, I think you will find the members here both helpful and friendly.

Steve
03-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter

That appears to be a duplicate account for the sole purpose of ranting. Duplicate accounts are against PF rules.

QuoteQuote:
Every individual member is allowed one PentaxForums.com account. Registering multiple accounts is not allowed.
03-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Duplicate accounts are against PF rules.
...as is spamming from those duplicate accounts. The user posted two almost identical comments on different thread.

Steve
03-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #15
Closed Account

Original Poster
If that's the case - the needful will be done, I'm quite sure 😊

Edit: I see it already happened. The banstick comes on handy, for sure.