Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

What are the implications of using STRONG noise reduction?

Could someone explain to me the implications of using higher amounds of on-camera noise reduction? For instance if I use the strongest setting on my K20D what are the drawbacks of doing so?

Kind Regards

Nick

05-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
Could someone explain to me the implications of using higher amounds of on-camera noise reduction? For instance if I use the strongest setting on my K20D what are the drawbacks of doing so?

Kind Regards

Nick
Noise reduction blurs out the noise, so you lose some detail. Try the same shot at various settings, then pixel peep on your big monitor to see what your maximum useful setting is.
05-28-2008, 11:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Speed could be worth considering. The camera will take longer to create the final image and get it onto your memory card. I talked with a sport photographer at our Lacrosse tournament last weekend (his company takes a ton of shots of each game, they create a folder for each team, separated the photos into individual games for each team, printed as contact sheets, allowing proud parents to select shots of their kids). Even with a fast lens the photographer had the ISO cranked to 3200 (they can not use a flash and the arena lighting is challanging). I asked him if he was worried about noise at that level, I also asked him if he was using noise reduction within the camera. He smiled and said that noise was not a problem with the software he used. He said that he stopped using the camera nosie reduction feature because it was too slow and he missed too many shots waiting. For most us this would probably not be a problem, but..... something to try and test.
As far as detail loss, I would assume that it would be similar to Photoshops healing brush (using a small sized brush). If so, it should not be very detectable if you dive deep into pixel infinity and beyond, beyond, beyond, beyond....
05-29-2008, 04:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Isn't this where "noise ninja" comes in? (if you can afford it).

05-29-2008, 05:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Okay Spyglass share his secret? What software did he use?
05-29-2008, 07:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Kind Regards

Nick
the more noise reduction you do, the more blurred the image becomes
05-29-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I use NeatImage, and so far it has worked wonders for me.

I always keep noise reduction off on my camera (K100D). In-camera noise reduction is useless.

05-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Noise reduction, like many things (sharpening, contrast, white balance) is something best done in post on your PC. You'll get better results and not lose unrecoverable data. Of course this all assumes you shoot raw.

What you lose is fine detail. NR is generally good a preserving large high contrast detail. Pixel peep some hair and you'll see the difference.
05-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Does it use the NR at fastshutter speeds also? In other words is it affecting all my shots?
05-30-2008, 03:56 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Does it use the NR at fastshutter speeds also? In other words is it affecting all my shots?
If the K20D works like my K200D, then it depends on which noise reduction you're using, as there are two types.

There is noise reduction from slow shutter speeds and noise reduction in high ISO settings. If you're using strong reduction in high ISO, then it doesn't matter how fast your shutter is .... if your ISO is 800+ (I think) then it's going to automatically use NR.

----------------------------------

Personally I use Noise Ninja and it works awesomely, especially as a Photoshop plugin because it uses some Photoshop filters at the same time to not lose detail like one would imagine....I've actually gained detail at the same time I used Noise ninja on some shots! (NR + USM = Good).

I was a bit hesitant buying the "pro" version, as $80 is not cheap just for a plugin or small standalone program, but now that I actually have it, it's invaluable. Well worth the money and it is a nice improvement to some of my shots.

I've also done very limited testing with the K200Ds noise reduction and it does pretty good. I posted some images a while back at another forum (or maybe it was here?) comparing different ISO ratings, etc. but I think I'm going to redo the testing, as I was in very bad conditions before.