Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2015, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #106
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Perhaps instead of sitting inside sucking up coffee you might try going outside with some of those few WR lenses you rant about and see what the real value of having a WR camera and lens is really about, even with your K50.
That's an interresting one ! I live in french riviera and here we have the luxury of having great weather so we don't go out when it is bad. It make sense... Except that there fantastic photo to be made of bad weather and you are going to get them by staying indoor.

I remember when visiting Ireland that even through it was summer it was raining all the time. The local explained to us "There is no bad weather, there is only bad clothing". And I think they are right, you can enjoy the day in the rain snow etc if you want. Nothing prevent that. And if they didn't do, they would never go outside.

A proof that I was here and the weather wasn't always good !

(A few minutes after the shoot we got an heavy rain. Some another day the plane to go back from a small iceland was cancelled due to the bad weather... it happen Well we gone back by the boat. No choice

02-01-2015, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
With SR ON, one can gain anywhere up to 4 full stops of light. But what kind of stops? ISO stops? Aperture stops? Shutter speed stops?"
You are aware that they are the same, right? From ISO 100 to 200 is the same as from f2 to f1.4 or from 1/30 to 1/15.
What he appears to be saying is that you only gain by using slower shutter speeds (or linked iso aperture)+ rather than miraculously having two/three extra faster shutter speeds which he thinks the 'layman' understands by the term 'gaining 3 stops'
02-01-2015, 01:43 PM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
What he appears to be saying is that you only gain by using slower shutter speeds (or linked iso aperture)+ rather than miraculously having two/three extra faster shutter speeds which he thinks the 'layman' understands by the term 'gaining 3 stops'
I mean that the very basic of exposure... If you lower your shutter speed, you'll have more room for apperture and sensivity (isos). But lowering the speed by definition mean you see more movement on the photo. If you need more speed this is not OS that will help you ! OS just fix hand shake.

To gain on shutter speed, you'd have to work on one of the other settings. Apperture or sensivity.
02-01-2015, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #109
Veteran Member

To be honest, I felt rather awkward when you’ve felt that a lot of “pathetic” PF members (perhaps myself included) ganged up on your original post.

Then after looking at your profile, I suspected that maybe, just maybe, English may not be your first language, and that the problem is just in the translation.

Now, I’m sure that that is not the problem.

The problem is you’re drawing a terribly erroneous conclusion based on your handling of a very good, yet entry-level camera, and then proceeded to your merry way of drawing a generally stupid conclusion for the entire Pentax system, providing the “1% of 1%” as to why Pentax as a system, is generally a poor choice. Technically, that is a libelous slandering of the brand, or in the internet parlance: trolling. Criticize as much as you want, provided that the leveled criticism are well-founded, then you’ll earn respect.

To be honest, articles from R***high looks like Nobel pieces compared to your “blog”.

Have you not tried reading the refutations in the earlier posts?

Okay, I will no longer post or reply in this thread. I will indefinitely continue reading what you have to say, and at the moment, I will resist the urge to put you in my ignore list.

I will do you a favour, and stop being “pathetic”, but please don’t stop being funny.

We all need a clown every now and then.

02-01-2015, 09:35 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually there are camera manufacturers who make cameras for third party lenses, cameras with interchangeable mount etc. But that's the high end video market. The sort of manufacturer that we are in the market of wants to sell lenses, as you said.

What you are looking for is a Nikon Df.

As for backwards compatibility I'd say Nikon is probably the best, yes, of course not with their cheap entry level cameras. So what. (Snipped) Pentax is good across the board, but Nikon can go beyond that if you are willing to spend.
Ok, two things here:
1) There are two non-video cameras which have OEM mounts for other manufacturers. One is Ricoh with the A12 module for the GXR. The other is the Fujifilm M adapter. I find both to be bold moves.

2) Nikon is no better at backward compatibility than Pentax. Remember that the pro bodies can't take pre-AI lenses, and that technically Pentax supports all the way back to its M42 lenses.
02-02-2015, 12:54 AM   #111

Funny

I read this thread when it was still on it's first page and just shook my head. It's funny how these threads get so intense over opinions. I wanted to share my experience being it's quite different. But I chose not to at the time. I will now just to show how different opinions can be.
I started digital with a K30, dal18-55wr, dal50-200wr and soon after acquired a Vivitar(Cosina)105mm 1:2 macro. Loved it! In fact so much that I decided to step up my kit with most of what I have now, which is so good, I gave up my original kit for a friend to enjoy, still with no regrets.
02-02-2015, 01:30 AM   #112
Pentaxian

1) The A12 module is for Leica M lenses? At least with the Fuji M adapter I don't think it is such a bold move. Leica lenses are EXPENSIVE, even second hand. Hardly competition to Fuji lenses, but it does open up the camera to a new group of potential clients. People who already have Leica gear, but don't want to spend 10k or so on a digital Leica. They may end up buying native lenses. Also, companies that do not have such an established user base or a big lens line up are IMHO more willing to open up their cameras to different lenses... Lure people from other brands in. Eventually they may want native lenses with AF etc. A key thing is IMHO that the native lenses are easier to use, offer more features, ... They can't provide the same experience.

2) Mm. I thought I recalled Nikons having a feature Pentax users are craving for. My oldest lens that I use has the A setting on the aperture dial though, so...
02-02-2015, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #113
Veteran Member

1) The A12 module is for Leica M lenses? At least with the Fuji M adapter I don't think it is such a bold move. Leica lenses are EXPENSIVE, even second hand. Hardly competition to Fuji lenses, but it does open up the camera to a new group of potential clients. People who already have Leica gear, but don't want to spend 10k or so on a digital Leica. They may end up buying native lenses. Also, companies that do not have such an established user base or a big lens line up are IMHO more willing to open up their cameras to different lenses... Lure people from other brands in. Eventually they may want native lenses with AF etc. A key thing is IMHO that the native lenses are easier to use, offer more features, ... They can't provide the same experience.

2) Mm. I thought I recalled Nikons having a feature Pentax users are craving for. My oldest lens that I use has the A setting on the aperture dial though, so...
Yes, the A12 is for Leica M lenses.

Well you're exactly right about non-native glass. I think that to be bold because none of the other manufacturers seem to understand it!

02-02-2015, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Yes, the A12 is for Leica M lenses.

Well you're exactly right about non-native glass. I think that to be bold because none of the other manufacturers seem to understand it!
I think if Fuji was really bold they would create fully functional adapters for Canon, Nikon and Pentax glass. Including AF (perhaps by even including a screw mount motor in the adapter). Should be technically possible (maybe not legally, but who knows...). They won't do that, because those lenses could hurt their bottom line. Old (and new) manual Leica lenses aren't dangerous. They are in a different league.
02-02-2015, 07:30 AM   #115
Pentaxian

snip......

I understand that you are probably not a native English speaker, but your tone, especially in the beginning, is rather offensive. It's no surprise that people were annoyed by what you had to say... especially when plenty of what you are saying is unwarranted or not at all better with other systems. In general the tone of your blog post could be much improved. Your rant about SR for example could be shortened to "Keep in mind that SR will only help you get longer exposures, so if your motive is in motion it will be useless."
i think you mean the OP here, not me. ........ it is his thread and his blog,

i am not sure your comment about the OP's first language is relevant. i think every one understood him just fine, and some people simply write that way.
02-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #116
Pentaxian

I think the clue is in "please don't take this too seriously"

Or in other words, laugh your a$$ off and move on.

I'm gifted at translating the "troll" language.
02-02-2015, 10:40 AM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
i think you mean the OP here, not me. ........ it is his thread and his blog,

i am not sure your comment about the OP's first language is relevant. i think every one understood him just fine, and some people simply write that way.
I started with replying to you, then went on to the TS.

What I mean is the subtleties of the language may get lost, the tone of things... He may not even see how harsh his choice of words is.
02-03-2015, 05:33 AM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by misomosi Quote
On the ISO problem - my concern is about the principle of not being able to seamlessly adjust a this basic parameter without resorting to workarounds. Thank you for your suggestions but I already have tried all the possible ways I could control the ISO even before receiving any of the suggestions in this thread. Whenever I don't want to bother about it (say I shoot some casual photos that I don't care about very much) I put my camera in Av and have one dial assigned for it, ore use indeed the AutoISO range in a reasonable limit.
It appears you haven't understood what I said, because TAv mode (not Tv or Av), is not a workaround. It is exactly what you are looking for.

TAv mode needs an ISO range to work, so set it to whatever range you like (e.g. 100-200, 100-1600, etc). Set your aperture and shutter speed. The camera will meter using ISO. If the metered ISO is not at your intended setting, rotate either the front (shutter) or rear (aperture) dial. The camera will adjust ISO accordingly, to meter the scene correctly. You can apply EC if you like. That's all there is to it.

This is exactly what you asked for, direct control of ISO from either dial. ISO needs a range to work in TAv mode, but you don't have to use the range, you can force ISO to a single value all day long simply by adjusting the aperture and shutter speed.

If your settings do not allow proper metering, the values shown in the OVF will blink constantly, indicating over or under exposure. You can still take the shot when the lights are blinking, but the image will be over or underexposed. You never have to take the camera from your eye. Note also that TAv will heed whichever Program line you have selected (Normal, MTF, Depth, Hi-Speed, etc.). You can access P-mode at any time by pressing the Green button.

If this does not address your criticism of the K-50's controls, please explain how or why. I don't think any manufacturer provides superior controls to Pentax at any price point, but especially not at this level. The K-50 dual wheels and extra modes (U1, U2, Sv, TAv, Hyper-Program, Green button, P-line) leaves the competition in the dust.

Last edited by audiobomber; 02-03-2015 at 06:16 AM.
02-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #119
Loyal Site Supporter

TAv is, IMHO the easiest mode for outdoor shooting. Set the aperture at a suitable setting - knowledge of your lens and conditions are critical - then adjust your shutter speed to keep ISO in a comfortable range. There is no magic, there is only compromises between speed and aperture. This is photography. It puts you in control of the two most vital settings.

Set a user mode where you turn off all in-camera processing, preset for fast shooting continuous and then go get pictures of the dogs etc. as they move around. Back-button C mode focus is your ally here.
02-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #120
Site Supporter

Leica lenses are EXPENSIVE, even second hand.
Leica is not the only maker of M-mount or LTM lenses. There is some very good value in this space.

Steve