Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ISO on a scroll wheel?

Ansel Adams must be turning in his grave right now. Oh wait, they couldn't adjust ISO on the fly back then!

01-29-2015, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Ansel Adams must be turning in his grave right now.

On the front or back?
01-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
On the front or back?
01-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #64
Pentaxian

You mentioned previously the menu staying on, you can shut off the display and have it remain off until you press the info or menu button, then it will go black when you depress the shutter or you can turn it off again via the info button.

QuoteOriginally posted by misomosi Quote
Let's assume I want shutter speed on the rear dial and aperture on the front one, when possible:
You can set that in P, TAv & M
AV(auto shutter): front-Aperture, rear-ISO TV(auto aperture): front-ISO, rear Shutter
Ever hear of or looked in your menu at E-DIAL PROGRAMMING. Take a look and study what the changes do & you just might notice how the dial set up can be changed.
Wherever you would assign ISO in Sv or TAv its position is already inconsistent.
How so? In SV one can select which dial is used for ones ISO the camera then Auto selects the Aperture & Shutter, with E-dial customization for the other dials use of Pshift, EV compensation or Nothing. With TAv one can select which dial is used for selecting ones Aperture & Shutter the camera then Auto selects ISO as it does with any camera using that mode.
That's just a stupid game companies play to piss off users and make them buy newer models.
One has a choice of different models each of which has different features & pricing, companies do that to give customers the option to select accordingly If someone makes what they feel wasn't the right choice then in your opinion that is the companies fault?
a DSLR should allow you fast direct access to shutterspeed / aperture / iso (/ exposurecompensation?).
They Do it's up to the user to know where and how that access is set for the mode they have selected. It's called learning ones camera.

You may be unhappy with your camera selection, that is fine but from your opening post your listing a lot of items that with a little time and learning could be understood better. Granted I found the K50 to be overall a really good camera but it lacked some items and was a tad mechanically noisier then what I was used to which the K5 lls solved for me. If you feel you need to change systems by all means do so if you feel that will make you happier but to argue with those regarding things many have taken the time to learn and use effectively doesn't serve much purpose, it only shows others your lacking.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 01-29-2015 at 08:59 AM.
01-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #65
Veteran Member

!
- SR is simply not as effective as it seems in theory. You can feel it, sometimes I wonder how did that 1/20 photo came out sharp. But going mirrorless with leaf shutter alone can compensate for the Pentax SR I think.
SRously? :-|
I can get consistently sharp results with a 50mm at 1/8... that's more than three stops less than recommended by the rule of thumb...
01-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #66

Original Poster
Ok, this is clearly going where nobody wanted.

Some people really understood the underlying idea of the original post. Thanks to those who involved positively and/or pointed to the actual weaknesses of the other systems and made me rethink some things.

As for the others, keep bashing, that's what you do all day on this forum. You don't even bother to read at least the first page of a thread and come up with clever answers to misquoted and misunderstood parts of whay I said.
01-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Some people really understood the underlying idea of the original post.
You're a lucky man.

Have a good day.

01-29-2015, 09:55 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Some people really understood the underlying idea of the original post. Thanks to those who involved positively and/or pointed to the actual weaknesses of the other systems and made me rethink some things.

As for the others, keep bashing, that's what you do all day on this forum. You don't even bother to read at least the first page of a thread and come up with clever answers to misquoted and misunderstood parts of whay I said.
The problem seems to be that some people take any criticism against Pentax as just an attempt to troll or bash, and are offended by it. It's a shame.

In any case it seems like the TS is now considering the K-5 or K-3, because it's closer to what he wants.
01-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Let's assume I want shutter speed on the rear dial and aperture on the front one, when possible:

And no, I don't think K50 should be less easy to use than K3 just because it's cheaper as you implied in your comment. That's just a stupid game companies play to piss off users and make them buy newer models.
To the OP, I haven't read your thread entirely... but your points are leaving a lot of doubts..
-shutter speed-rear dial and aperture-front dial (that is more like Canikon convention, why? you can change or get used to it)
-remember k50 is the lowest entry level APS-C DSLR compare to k3; you think k50 should be just as easy to tweak as the k3. Just try to apply the same argument to Canikon models (D3300 to D7100) or (T3 to 7DII) and people will laugh at you.

Last edited by aleonx3; 01-29-2015 at 10:17 AM.
01-29-2015, 10:05 AM - 2 Likes   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The problem seems to be that some people take any criticism against Pentax as just an attempt to troll or bash, and are offended by it. It's a shame.

In any case it seems like the TS is now considering the K-5 or K-3, because it's closer to what he wants.
I see it differently, some people see unwarranted criticism of Pentax and feel a need to set the record straight. If you want the help of the forum, tell them what you want to do, and they'll tell you how to do it. If you plan to elicit people's help by printing a bunch of inaccuracies and mis-representations and hiding your request for insight in them, people will make a choice, read through the nonsense and address the issue, or address the inaccuracies. Both are valid responses.

It's up to the OP to frame the discussion in a way that limits criticism. If you post errant information, people will correct you. You should thank them.

As for the looking at a K-5 or K-3, I guess he couldn't have done that without our help, because he assumed all Pentax's suck because he bought an entry level Pentax? I don't get it. But hey, I don't have to get it. That's fine.

The universe is full of things I'll never understand.

I have to admit I learned this the hard way... on a canoeing site I once wrote a 2 page scathing report on all the ways Garmin GPS-s were terrible. A member wrote a one line response , I changed one setting, everyone of my issues was addressed. I ended up looking like what i was, a newbie that really didn't understand the new piece of equipment he'd bought, and the basics of the software that powered it. Since then I've always tried to cut through the frustration, and isolate to the issue, before I ask for help. 90% of the time, in doing so, I find the problem. And I love my Garmin GPSes.

Last edited by normhead; 01-29-2015 at 11:03 AM.
01-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
ISO on a scroll wheel?

Ansel Adams must be turning in his grave right now. Oh wait, they couldn't adjust ISO on the fly back then!
Sure he could with his large format film, each shot was on a different sheet.

I never even found it that hard with the single scrool wheel on the K-r to change what I needed.
01-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I see it differently, some people see unwarranted criticism of Pentax and feel a need to set the record straight. If you want the help of the forum, tell them what you want to do, and they'll tell you how to do it. If you plan to elicit people's help by printing a bunch of inaccuracies and mis-representations and hiding your request for insight in them, people will make a choice, read through the nonsense and address the issue, or address the inaccuracies. Both are valid responses.

It's up to the OP to frame the discussion in a way that limits criticism. If you post errant information, people will correct you. You should thank them.

As for the looking at a K-5 or K-3, I guess he couldn't have done that without our help, because he assumed all Pentax's suck because he bought an entry level Pentax? I don't get it. But hey, I don't have to get it. That's fine.

The universe is full of things I'll never understand.

I have to admit I learned this the hard way... on a canoeing site I once wrote a 2 page scathing report on all the ways Garmin GPS-s were terrible. A member wrote a one line response , I changed one setting, everyone of my issues was addressed. I ended up looking like what i was, a newbie that really didn't understand the new piece of equipment he'd bought, and the basics of the software that powered it. Since then I've always tried to cut through the frustration, and isolate to the issue, before I ask for help. 90% of the time, in doing so, I find the problem. And I love my Garmin GPSes.
The way I feel a need to set "buy a video camera" sayers straight, I can understand and relate to that. :P What I didn't like was the way how the TS was attacked/made fun of.

I thought the TS was rather diplomatic and actually searching for assistance, but I can understand that you and some others saw it differently.

He was misguided as to how far his money would get him. For the price of a K-50 the alternatives are much, much worse. But it's still a budget camera. It might actually be nice though if the K-3 successor had one more dial, Canon style. To scroll through menus faster, to select things like WB faster, and, perhaps, to have a consistent place for EV or ISO. Of course fully configurable.

Sometimes a little nudge is all you need for assistance... anyway, I thought it was a rather enjoyable discussion.
01-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #73
Pentaxian

Well, FWIW, though I've poked moderately, I'm not trying to mindlessly bash. I think the specific complaint I was addressing - which I understand as "can't change ISO without turning on the screen, which is undesirable at night" - is quite reasonable. After all, we have cameras one of whose strengths are optical viewfinders, and having the back LCD come on in dim conditions can be detrimental to your night vision, and thus your use of an optical viewfinder. The back screen turning on may also disturb other people at an event when you're taking pictures. (BTW, you're not alone, though I'm not sure ISO adjustment is addressed in that thread.)

It's just that it seems to me there are ways to address your issue by customizing your camera's settings (or buying a different Pentax model), rather than simply concluding this is a limitation of the "Pentax system" (see thread title). These options are what I've been trying to explain, and you don't seem to have investigated them at all, which is what is making me a little critical. But I don't have a K-50, so there are things I have to suggest that you test out to see if they behave the same way as on my K-3.

BTW, your post has actually prompted me to investigate my own camera in greater detail, so this has been useful to me. I'm now fully satisfied that I can operate the K-3 and fully control aperture, ISO, shutter and exposure comp without using the back LCD at all, and without having it turn automatically on either. Since I'm coming from the K-01, this is novel to me, and it's giving me a greater appreciation for the K-3's optical viewfinder, control layout, and top LCD (even though I'm still not quite convinced that I prefer an OVF to an EVF, or indeed, no VF at all)...

Last edited by Doundounba; 01-29-2015 at 12:01 PM.
01-29-2015, 12:17 PM   #74
Veteran Member

with only two wheels and three things to change -ISO/shutter/aperture - how do you manage this without resorting to menus and the dreaded screen?
01-29-2015, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
with only two wheels and three things to change -ISO/shutter/aperture - how do you manage this without resorting to menus and the dreaded screen?
a combination of button and wheel will do for 'advanced' level DSLR as in any other brands as well.