Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2007, 11:51 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
less noise / improved high ISO
better dynamic range
faster, more reliable autofocus
smaller autofocus point area (when using the center autofocus point, it seems to scan an area that is much larger than the red box, making it hard to focus on a specific point)
larger ram buffer
a fast (f/2 or better) version of the 21 limited

03-13-2007, 01:16 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Totally

QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
I'm just going to insert my aspect ratio rant here:

<RANT>

Now that sensors are freed from the specific width of a piece of film, why not have a sensor whose SHAPE is more like the typical portrait/wedding photo? Most paper sizes in the USA and Europe require the ends of the frame to be chopped off. A sensor with an aspect ratio of 4:5 or 3:4 would give us more usable pixels for commercially sold work.

</RANT>
Dana;

I TOTALLY agree with you..I am always cropping my images for magazine format. However interestingly more and more of the newer trendy press magazines are publishing in the 2:3 aspect ratio. I was so pleased to find that out recently.
03-13-2007, 06:09 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
I'm just going to insert my aspect ratio rant here:
<RANT>

Now that sensors are freed from the specific width of a piece of film, why not have a sensor whose SHAPE is more like the typical portrait/wedding photo? Most paper sizes in the USA and Europe require the ends of the frame to be chopped off. A sensor with an aspect ratio of 4:5 or 3:4 would give us more usable pixels for commercially sold work.
</RANT>
I know nothing about publishing industry but I know that 3:2 aspect ratio was chosen not accidentally. It's 3:2 because of Golden Rectangle. Also most of photopaper in Europe is closer to 3:2, generally you don't need to crop 3:2 picture, but those who are using Olympus and digicams need to crop all their photos to 3:2.

I don't print much but I don't want 4:3 or 5:4 sensor. 3:2 photographies look much better to me.
03-13-2007, 06:56 PM   #34
Veteran Member

More Wishes

I haven't tried the K10 but here are some of my observations/wishes for available light/action/photojournalism type work:
- better noise control at high ISO
- faster auto-focus
- faster, more consistent frame rate for sequence shots
- improved I/O bandwidth to the storage card (or a much bigger buffer)
- an advanced control mode over in camera software
Dave

03-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #35
Forum Member

- PC control software. They did it for the istD. They should release versions for the newer DSLRs as well. What I want this for is direct download to a PC for use during formal portrait sessions so that I can accurately review the exposure and focus of the shot just taken. If they don't want to release PC control it would be nice to at least have wireless or bluetooth connection support so shots can be reviewed immediately on the PC.

- Better low light auto-focus. This is my number one gripe with my istDS. Autofocus in typical indoor lighting at night is horrendously slow. The camera hunts for several seconds. Because of this I don't even bother with my Pentax anymore for these shots. My wife's Oly 5050z (P&S) uses an infared assist and focuses in an instant.
03-19-2007, 04:29 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After spending a week playing with both my *istD and K10D, I think pentax needs to revisit the function of the Green Button for manual lenses.

I have raised this before, in terms of flasn photography, allowing you to use P-TTL flash by the camera calculating the exposure ratio between full open and stopped down when the button i spressed.

To that I would like to add an additional function, specifically as opposed to setting the shutter to match the light and apature, simply display the exposure on the exposure meter, i.e. just like a fully automatic lens in manual mode on the camera.

This way, with a flash attached, you could easilydetermine the amount of fill you want.
03-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #37
Veteran Member

built in solar charging.
hermetic seal on sensor, there is absolutely no reason for dust to be an issue.
easily programmable custom modes aka in-camera photshop like features.
better focus indication and real DOF and accurate exposure preview.
complete file naming control.
better user interface for photo review, I hate the file matrix-exposure info-zoom-cascading style
instant connectivity: shoot and/or send photos anywhere anytime from the camera.
better ergonomics: one reason I selected the ds2 is it felt and handled the best of all cameras. Now I see newer versions have reverted to the traditional rectilinear grip surfaces. My bias - I am an industrial designer - I would like to see some profound anthropomorphic design details on the camera body and the control buttons/dials etc.

03-19-2007, 07:13 PM   #38
dbh
Inactive Account

- ability to use high speed sync with pop-up flash
- ability to activate the modeling feature of all capable flashes from the OK button
--
dbh
03-19-2007, 07:27 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I know nothing about publishing industry but I know that 3:2 aspect ratio was chosen not accidentally. It's 3:2 because of Golden Rectangle. Also most of photopaper in Europe is closer to 3:2, generally you don't need to crop 3:2 picture, but those who are using Olympus and digicams need to crop all their photos to 3:2.

I don't print much but I don't want 4:3 or 5:4 sensor. 3:2 photographies look much better to me.
The 2:3 ratio was, in fact, by chance. It was simply putting two movie frames together, since 35mm film started out as movie stock.

I don't know where you get the Golden Rectangle idea, but the A sizes of paper are a much more pleasing shape. Also note that cutting an A3 in half gives you two A4 sheets with no waste.

Go to a museum and look at the classic paintings. You'll find that most of the portraits and paintings are not quite so long and narrow. It's just not that pleasing a format.
03-19-2007, 07:38 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
better focus indication and real DOF and accurate exposure preview.
All Pentax dSLRs have DOF preivew. By default its set to Digital Preview which snaps a test shot. To use the actual 'stop down' DOF preview method, rummage through your custom menu for "Preview Method" and then select "Optical Preview". press ok and then everytime you slide the shutter thingy into the aperture symbol, the lens will stop down.
03-21-2007, 05:16 AM   #41
Forum Member

My Semi-Pro Pentax wish list

Hi,

The K10D is an amazing camera with a lot to offer, but appears to fall short of my expectations in a couple areas for a nearly 1000-dollar semi-professional autofocus body.

1. Autofocus. Pentax has apparently caught up with the competition as far as raw autofocus speed is concerned with the K10D, but are still lagging behind even their own former top-of-the-line autofocus film bodies in several aspects. The K10D does not track moving objects (predictive AF), hunts in low light (compared to competition), and has accuracy issues in different types of lighting (front/back focus issues with tungsten/natural light). I want Pentax to develop a new, state-of-the-art autofocus system that not only rivals the current competition but beats it!

2. Signal-to-noise ratio vs. resolution. With the K10D, we gained around 50% more pixels, but lost a full stop of low-light sensitivity (100%). That's going backwards if you ask me. I use ISO 1600 on my DS quite often. It's hard for me to imagine an upgrade that will limit my photography.

3. Wireless flash. The K10D or equivalent should have at least the same functionality the ist D had. I want to be able to trigger off-camera speedlites with the built-in flash in high-speed synch mode. Don't force me to by and carry a second external flash, that's a waste, and another step backwards.

4. Pattern noise. Fix it!

5. Viewfinder - is bigger possible?

That's it for me... ;-)

-Matt
03-21-2007, 05:39 AM   #42
Veteran Member

My wish is for the EV +/- button on the K100D to perform stop-down metering in Manual mode instead of the AE-L button. The button goes unused in that mode anyway, and it is ergonomically much more sensible.
03-21-2007, 06:00 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Issues

QuoteOriginally posted by KL Matt Quote
Hi,

The K10D is an amazing camera with a lot to offer, but appears to fall short of my expectations in a couple areas for a nearly 1000-dollar semi-professional autofocus body.

1. Autofocus. Pentax has apparently caught up with the competition as far as raw autofocus speed is concerned with the K10D, but are still lagging behind even their own former top-of-the-line autofocus film bodies in several aspects. The K10D does not track moving objects (predictive AF), hunts in low light (compared to competition), and has accuracy issues in different types of lighting (front/back focus issues with tungsten/natural light). I want Pentax to develop a new, state-of-the-art autofocus system that not only rivals the current competition but beats it!

2. Signal-to-noise ratio vs. resolution. With the K10D, we gained around 50% more pixels, but lost a full stop of low-light sensitivity (100%). That's going backwards if you ask me. I use ISO 1600 on my DS quite often. It's hard for me to imagine an upgrade that will limit my photography.

3. Wireless flash. The K10D or equivalent should have at least the same functionality the ist D had. I want to be able to trigger off-camera speedlites with the built-in flash in high-speed synch mode. Don't force me to by and carry a second external flash, that's a waste, and another step backwards.

4. Pattern noise. Fix it!

5. Viewfinder - is bigger possible?

That's it for me... ;-)

-Matt
Hello Matt;

Many of the issues you have addressed here can be rectified with a firmware update. The larger viewfinder would be quite problematic.

Ben
03-21-2007, 06:14 AM   #44
Forum Member

Hi Ben,

I haven't heard of a single one of these issues being addressed in any firmware release to date. Which firmware version includes predictive AF, which one enables off-camera high-speed synch with built-in flash, and which one improves the camera's fundamental noise properties? This is great news!!!

-Matt

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Hello Matt;

Many of the issues you have addressed here can be rectified with a firmware update. The larger viewfinder would be quite problematic.

Ben
03-21-2007, 08:15 AM   #45
Kim

I would like to have a working dust cleaning. This current one does not do anything. Other than that I'm pretty happy with my K10D.