Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2007, 12:30 PM   #46

Fast zoom lenses both in autofocus and aperture

I would like a large lenses catalogue to choose from, specially with big apertures and fast and accurate autofocus (sdm). I think that Pentax should give the sdm specs and protocol to sigma and tamron so they also could build lenses with full support for Pentax. Currently Sigma's HSM lenses don't do HSM focusing with Pentax.

03-22-2007, 11:52 PM   #47
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My Pentax Wish List

For the camera:
100% viewfinder.
Real x sync - so I can use my 30+ year old flash (know to blind a family gathering with one shot)
IS0 < 100 - preferably 25 at the low end. (Long live Kodachrome)
More fast sealed glass.
Remove the built in flash.
Get rid of the stupid beep.
On board GPS.
A special model that does not shoot color - no bayer layer - no demosaic processing - just pure B&W - just think of what you could do.
Also I would like Pentax to write a PEF codec for Windows.

Last but not least - a bottle opener - you never know when you will be attacked by a cold bottle of beer.

PDL
03-22-2007, 11:56 PM   #48
PDL
Pentaxian

Forgot another one that has bothered me since AF became the norm. Put the DOF markings back on all lenses - So I can choose to front focus or back focus based on DOF. (The removal of this feature is one of the most stupid things camera\lens manufactures have ever done)

PDL
03-23-2007, 07:46 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Quote
I would like to have a working dust cleaning. This current one does not do anything. Other than that I'm pretty happy with my K10D.
Perhaps future DSLR bodies could implement some kind of electrostatic coating of the walls of the mirror box to overpower the charge of the CCD sensor, activated at power up. This way, whatever dust is present would be held fast, away from the sensor while the camera is in use. At power down, the attraction would cease, and the user could clean the walls.

03-29-2007, 03:05 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very Novel Idea

QuoteOriginally posted by button Quote
Perhaps future DSLR bodies could implement some kind of electrostatic coating of the walls of the mirror box to overpower the charge of the CCD sensor, activated at power up. This way, whatever dust is present would be held fast, away from the sensor while the camera is in use. At power down, the attraction would cease, and the user could clean the walls.
This is a very novel idea. Can you be more specific as to what you may be proposing? Have you conceptually developed any concrete solutions? I would be curious to hear more of your thoughts on this matter.

Thanks
Ben
03-29-2007, 05:50 PM   #51
Veteran Member

The above method is similar to ionic charge air cleaners, except they turn on/off. Electrostatic coatings have an effective life of 3 - 6 months until their charge dissipates.

The current methods of hypersonic shake and sticky tape seem very crude to me, although inexpensive. In light of this threads spirit, I can foresee future innovations that completely eliminate sensor dust issue. Simple mechanical solution of a hermetic seal curtain activated on lens release. Ion curtains and captive attractor plates (air cleaner method). Sensor window coatings impervious to dust adhesion (used on space borne optical devices). Other new technology innovation.

All involve real expense, probable trickle down effect to engineering design of camera bodies. The lack of innovation in this area puzzles me. Generally, a problem that creates 3rd party commercial solutions as well as lots of user commentary is a ripe candidate for OEM derivative product offerings. All camera manufacturers seem to miss this, so far. Shake reduction is an obvious and welcome exposure control feature. Now, with the addition of sticky tape, SR is also a dust removal feature. This is marketing, not innovation.
03-29-2007, 08:56 PM   #52
Inactive Account

OKay, i'll bite

The Dust reduction in my experience does have some effect. It is interesting to see a piece of dust in progressive images move to the top of the image and then disappear.

It isn't a perfect solution but then again there is no such thing as a perfect solution, but it is a solution that has some effect, and it is elegant considering what they had available to them at the time.
03-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I would like to see that old concept digital camera from 1997 to become a reality. A compact, APS-sized sensor digital camera with no mirror, live-view LCD and K mount. The perfect body for silent shooting.

03-30-2007, 10:28 PM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
This is a very novel idea. Can you be more specific as to what you may be proposing? Have you conceptually developed any concrete solutions? I would be curious to hear more of your thoughts on this matter.

Thanks
Ben
No concrete solutions, only speculation. An anode/cathode type array on opposite sides of the mirror box? Something with high voltage and almost no amperage consumption. Maybe tiny wires could be printed on (or in) the box, sort of like how electrostatic speakers work (Acoustat in the 1980's). Such an array should power up before the sensor to "precatch" the dust.
04-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
6. Uncripple the K mount so all lenses work as originally intended.
This is high on my wish list, too! Maybe along with uncrippling the K mount, we would get open aperture metering on K mount lenses, and they would meter all the way to 30 seconds.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
10. SPLIT IMAGE FOCUSING SCREEN. Ben, you could get this done! Perfect for all these primes.
Another one that's also high on my wish list! Pentax already make interchangeable focussing screens. Surely making a split image version can't be that difficult.

I haven't read past barondla's post yet, so forgive me if I duplicate anything...

Improve the noise reduction function.

Surely it's possible to take and store one 30-second "dark" exposure and then apply it to all subsequent 30-second exposures in the same shoot rather than taking a new 30-second "dark" exposure after every live exposure. Granted, it might be necessary to take a series of "dark" exposures for 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 seconds so as to have an appropriate one available for applying to a live shot. This would undoubtedly fill up the buffer, but what about keeping these "dark" exposures on the memory card and then calling back the correct one as needed? We could have a menu setting to determine whether to do a new "dark" exposure or to use an existing one if it was available.

And while we're about it, NR is buried on a menu, so once I've turned it off, I'm unlikely to turn it back on for the odd shot, but will leave it off for the rest of the shoot.

Unbury the metering mode menu item

I'm not sure where it is on the K10D, so Pentax may have already taken note of this one, but on my *ist DS, it's buried on the record menu. The Fn rocker button already has functions on all four directions, so there probably isn't space for the metering mode on there, although personally I'd like to have it on there and not the flash options, as I never seem to go into them anyway. It certainly ought to be more accessible than well down the Record menu.

Make the contrast control more accessible

This is another useful item buried on the Record menu. It's probably of more interest to the JPG shooters than the RAW people, but it's a setting that I find the need to change fairly often, as I use a different setting for day and night shooting.

Well that's enough from me for the moment. I might return to this post if I have any further bright ideas.
04-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #56
Veteran Member

YES! Uncripple the K Mount! I definately can agree with that one. As for the Split Image Mircoprism, I want a diagonal split like those on the old Ricoh XR slrs. That way you can easily focus vertical and horizontal.
04-01-2007, 04:03 PM   #57

Good thinking Pete. I've got a pair of Ricoh XR-X film SLRs and the diagonal split is quite handy - although no good to use for lining up a horizon, as I sometimes did with my Pentax MZ-M bodies which had a horizontal split.
04-02-2007, 12:20 AM   #58

How about the ability to record sound. Sometimes it would be nice to annotate photos with subject information or location. Also would be nice sometimes to simply capture the ambient sounds. P&S cameras already do this (and I often carry one with me just to serve this purpose.)

Bart
04-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #59
Forum Member

An ergonomic rearrangement......

I would like to see the separate AF and AE-Lock buttons replaced with a rocker switch mounted horizontally just below the back thumb wheel. I would be located slightly below the thumbwheel and to the right of the +/= exposure compensaton button. Pressing the left side would activate the AF button functions and a press of the right, the AE-Lock button functions. There should be enough tension to prevent inadvert use when using the thumbwheel.

Normally I have the AF decupled from the shutter release so I can lock my AF while using the AE-lcok to keep my exposure setting. I find the AE-Lock the only unhandy function on the K10D. I am getting used to it but a rocker switch for both would be a more ergonomic approach.
04-07-2007, 10:15 AM   #60

High voltage!

I read the interview with the Pentax k10d designers a month or so ago, and I remember one of them stating that the faster AF of the camera is related to the increased voltage of the dual cell lithium-ion battery pack (7.2 volts). I think that the engineers should "stress test" the screw drives of current FA and DA lenses and determine just how fast they can focus accurately and maintain a reasonable lifespan. Once done, designers could determine the maximum voltage required and then size future battery packs accordingly. If such voltage requirements of FA/DA and DA* lenses (with built in motors) differ, the camera could adjust as necessary. Add infrared AF assist for improved low light performance and a means of eliminating that bit of "tuning" at the end of an AF cycle, and we could have something to talk about.

John