Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2007, 07:19 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steven Yampolsky Quote
OK, I may be clueless heres, but doesn't color space apply to RAW as well as JPG?
In short, no. More accurately, each sensor has its own unique color space not shared by any other device. That needs to be mapped into a standard so humans can see the image as corresponding in some way to what you were looking at through the viewfinder.

04-23-2007, 09:59 AM   #92

My wishlist - maybe a little late, but these would make a great different

Okay, here's my list - in relatively most to least wanted... these may apply to other pentax DSLRs too, not just the new 'pro' body.

1. Larger image buffer. 15-20 RAW images.

2. Split image focusing screen. Either it comes standard (please, for the love) or you can buy one from Pentax. I had to get one from Shanghai and it's fine, and probably cheaper than something Pentax would come up with, but why can't Pentax just provide one for their semi/pro bodies to begin with.

3. Electronic shutter. This is really important because you can do so much with it:

a. It can then have a flash sync at all shutter speeds (this is so crucial for fill flash, and the pextax high speed sync doesn't cut it at all - no high speed syncs work great. A simpler, better solution is a flash at full power with an electronic shutter - ie, no shutter at all, the CCD is just turned on and off).

b. You can then have realtime image preview on the LCD so you don't have to look through the viewfinder if you don't want to/can't (great for macro work and shots in weird positions). The mirror would have to lock up during the time you are in realtime preview, but that's done easily enough.

c. It would allow for a detachable/optional EVF for really hard to get shots.

d. Quieter operation without shutter/mirror movement noise if you don't need the resolution of the optical viewfinder.

4. Better low-light AF assist. Either IR or laser or something that lets the camera focus in almost no light up to about 15-20 feet away (or it could be an optional hotshoe accessory)

5. 16-bit raw output. If the PRIME engine is 22 bits, why can't they output in 16 bit raw. It only makes sense since PS can do 16 bit TIFF files.

6. We need better lens selection from Pentax - and a lineup that they will support. They need to take a few thoughts from the computer industry that sells to business class customers. I want a set of 20-30 lens that covers a decent range on APS-C that are of great quality, have some fast glass, and is mostly complete. I want to know that they will be produced for the next 10 years at least, and those lenses will never, ever be on backorder, discontinued (without a replacement ready for order), etc. When I buy into a system, I need to know that if a lens breaks, I can order the next day and get it, or if I'm going on a trip, I can get the wide-angle I've been wanting without performing a worldwide internet hunt. I don't want to snatch up lenses that I don't use in fear that one day that focal length/speed won't be their any longer. Sure, they can make fun limiteds and such, but make the basics first that will always be there.

7. Make vertical grips for all your bodies and have a version that can take AA batteries (for travelers)

Alright, that's my list. I hope they read it. :-)
04-23-2007, 10:49 AM   #93
Inactive Account

I posted this list in another thread, but since they are all wishes for K10D's successor, here's the list again:

An intelligent, dedicated WB button for measuring/setting WB that works fine without a gray card (just like Canon XH A1)
Better dynamic range (a la Fuji S5 PRO)
More megapixels (allows for more cropping)
Better looking menus
Focus assist lamp instead of flash
Better in-camera JPEG sharpness for JPEG users
More dedicated buttons
Better Auto AWB for incandescent light
Full LiveView with digital real time view of DOF and WB
Extra Function button
Recent Settings (like D200, look here: Ryan Brenizer Photography - S5 Pro Review Part II: The Bad )
Sigma SD14-like image quality /color naturalness / sharpness:
SIGMA SD14:Sample Image Gallery:Portrait
Keep the small size: Small Is The New Big
04-27-2007, 11:01 AM   #94

I'm not sure this is possible, but I think this idea would help sell lots of forthcoming pro camera bodies. Assuming that Pentax's next pro camera has resolution that approaches or exceeds medium format, its design should allow the use of current K mount lenses. I for one would seriously consider buying such a camera if I didn't face the prospect of buying a second line of lenses to use it. I suppose this will require some advances in sensor technology, though.

04-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #95
Inactive Account

I would like to see a Pentax with no exposure problems. Either that, or stop claiming the backward compatibility.

I would of course prefer a fix. And while they are at it why not make the M mode semiautomatic: When having pressed the green button the shutter speed could continue to vary depending on the available light, until it gets pressed again (in this case presumably because the photographer has changed the aperture). Even better would be to bring back the uncrippled lens mount and let the manual lenses works as they are supposed to do. It could be done in the 70's, right?
04-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #96
Inactive Account

Can I add corporate stability to my Pentax wish list?
04-27-2007, 02:57 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Good Idea

QuoteOriginally posted by option Quote
Can I add corporate stability to my Pentax wish list?
I would say that is a very "Sound" proposal.