Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #61

UNCRIPPLE THE K MOUNT!!!!!!!!!!

And put a focus aid, Split-Image, Microprisim, whatever, in the standard screen!

04-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #62
Veteran Member

To follow on Dana's sentiments if not standard at least Pentax should have an accessory split image focus screen. Really it should be a no brainier for Pentax to offer one.

The K10D is my first Pentax DSLR so I am not to familiar with the earlier models or how they metered with K mount lenses. So if uncripple the K mount means real time metering while turning the aperture ring or shutter dial then by all means Pentax hear us.

Foveon sensor. Or at least CMOS.

Reissue some of the A lenses. Hence the further need for a split image focus screen.

If possible utilize IR assist lamp used for AF to also assist in exposure in low light. Even if it only would work in a B&W mode would seem like a novel idea especially at higher ISO.

If Pentax follows with live view add an HD movie mode if not just for laughs.

One last thought Pentax produced the 110 SLR. 110 film is basically the same size physically as the 4/3 sensor. If Pentax were able to pull off stuffing the electronics into the size of the 110 SLR would make for one great travel kit.
04-09-2007, 07:53 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I know nothing about publishing industry but I know that 3:2 aspect ratio was chosen not accidentally. It's 3:2 because of Golden Rectangle.
The golden ratio is approximately 1:1.618 -- which is quite close to 5x8. But it's debatable whether this proportion is really so intrinsically great -- for example, despite the filmstrips we saw in elementary school, only snail shells approximate this ratio in their spiral, and even then, only approximately when averaged.

I suppose a circular sensor would be the most useful. Or maybe a circle approximated by hexagons. Of course, then we'll all need new monitors....
04-11-2007, 03:56 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Perfect Ratio...For Me That Is

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The golden ratio is approximately 1:1.618 -- which is quite close to 5x8. But it's debatable whether this proportion is really so intrinsically great -- for example, despite the filmstrips we saw in elementary school, only snail shells approximate this ratio in their spiral, and even then, only approximately when averaged.

I suppose a circular sensor would be the most useful. Or maybe a circle approximated by hexagons. Of course, then we'll all need new monitors....
As a result of the 3:2 ratio camera, many magazines have changed their format, as not to crop out valuable real estate. I hate having to anticipate a crop while shooting my K10D or what ever knowing that it will loose about 15-20 percent of it's optimal resolution. The ideal proportion for me would be a 6:45 ratio. It is a great compromise between the 3:2 and 4:3 that already exist.

Ben

04-11-2007, 04:30 AM   #65
Inactive Account

Spot metering linked to focus points.
04-11-2007, 04:39 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rico,

If they can make some of the ultra small P&S cameras like they do, then Pentax could certainly squeeze the guts into a 110 body. The 110 had a great little set of lenses too... P&S size with interchangable lenses... I LOVE this idea!!!

(hmmm note to self... buy all the 110 lenses you can get your hands up before the prices go up like all the great A & M lenses did after the istD came out)
04-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Mike

The interesting thing is the sensor in the FourThirds standards has roughly the same dimensions as 110 film. So there are already sensors to match the lenses Pentax made for the 110 SLR.

Pentax could make something really special and unique. The vision Pentax had with the 110 SLR could be fulfilled in the digital age. It would have to rank as one of the best travel kits ever made.

First bring on the split image focus screen accessory for the K10D.

Mike the story about your MX and the raccoon was priceless.

04-12-2007, 07:28 AM   #68

Rico :

Split Screen is already available - see the thread on the UK Pentax User Group Forum :

PentaxUser.co.uk :: View topic - Split Image Focusing Screen for K10D
04-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #69
Forum Member

A Pellicle mirror for the K10D...shades of Canon's RT!

Why not a pellicle mirror as Canon used in the both the early breech mount Pellix model and the EOS RT. I had both cameras: the RT remains my all time favorite film slr.

I found no significant light loss in the viewfinder compared to the similar flip mirror EOS model.

The advantages for a DSLR:

1 No viewfinder black out when shooting...and mirror time lag eliminated.

2. The possiblilty of live view on the LCD. This would require a modified shutter mode to allow the shutter to be open and then close as the actual capture takes place. The slight lag would be acceptable since live preview, based on my experience , is an advantage when making more static shots, like scenic and macro shots or preparing to set up a series of shots.

All the above and you would gain:

3. A sealed sensor chamber. The fixed place pellicle mirror would act as a barrier and the dust distrubing mechanical mirror action would be eliminated. In fact a module containing the sensor, shutter and pellicle mirror could be assembled in a clean room to end the sensor dust issue.

Last edited by dmdctusa; 04-12-2007 at 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling
04-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #70
Forum Member

P. S. - for my post above re pellicle mirror.

For those not familar with Canon's work in this area. The fixed (pellicle) mirror was a semi-reflecting one. About 85-90% of the light went to the film the balance to the viewfinder. Of course, this was in the days when cameras had large high quality prisms. It would probably not work on the porro-mirrors that are around today.

I thought of it in the Pentax K10D context because of the quality of the K10D's prism finder.

Here's a line to a Canon RT description:

Canon EOS RT

Last edited by dmdctusa; 04-12-2007 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added link
04-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Thanks for that link Classvino.

I like the looks of the Katz Eye™ Optics. Has anyone purchased one? There is a special coating OptiBrite they claim will improve brightness when stopped down for an extra $55. Adding grid lines is another $45 on the base price of $95. It is not cheap.

The cheap ebay screen from the link is some outfit in China.
04-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #72
Inactive Account

- body round tabs, for strap
- on grip , strap loop on booth sides,
- grip, dual battery, dual battery drain load,
- grip, beefier, rounder,
- EXIF, focus distance, or whatever focus distance number used by lens,..
sometime hard to pick, with same focal length and no focus distance indication
- IR focus assist from body, aka minolta
- full size USB , external disk, wifi, bluetooth, etc,...

dream, LCD 3.5" 1MP OLED touchscreen,... (sony)

bunch more, but gotta run,...
04-13-2007, 08:03 PM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
As a result of the 3:2 ratio camera, many magazines have changed their format, as not to crop out valuable real estate. I hate having to anticipate a crop while shooting my K10D or what ever knowing that it will loose about 15-20 percent of it's optimal resolution. The ideal proportion for me would be a 6:45 ratio. It is a great compromise between the 3:2 and 4:3 that already exist.

Ben
Quite right! Now go look at a museum displaying paintings from earlier eras. Look at Rembrandt, look at other masters.

You might notice that most of their work seems to be more similar to the 645/6x7/4x5 formats than the 2:3 format.

I suspect they probably knew something about proportion and scale. Most earlier film formats were not so long and narrow.

Makes you think. Perhaps some chip maker can make something that fits the APS-C lenses with a more rational aspect ratio.
04-13-2007, 10:25 PM   #74
Inactive Account

Wish: A 16:9 option.

Everybody are now becoming used to watch 16:9 on TVs, movies and LCD-screens, and sooner or later we'll see the same in DSLRs as well. Why not be among the first ones to implement this?
04-13-2007, 11:55 PM   #75

Something way out in left field that isn't camera specific... how about a multispectral sensor that lets you select the bands of EMR you want captured and mapped to RGB? You like to dabble in IR photography? Well, with a multispectral sensor and the whole EMR spectrum to choose from, you ain't seen nuthin' yet. I often do this in my profession using remote sensing applications, and I often find myself thinking "Just imagine if...".

On a more practical note, and again none brand/model specific: the ability to put field notes directly into the EXFIL. UTM coordinates or whatever else you might wish. Voice, PDA link, whatever, as long as it works.

Wouldn't be high on everybody's list (or even useful to most), and I can certainly live without them myself. But I would certainly use those.