Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2007, 08:45 AM   #76
Veteran Member

my wants :)

I think Pentax should release it this year to keep things really moving (ie sept/ oct but I'd release the k50d??? very soon)

but I'd really like simply less noise (across the board) and more dynamic range as well as a pc sync socket / port or a better wireless system (so I don't have to go buy 3-4 new flashes) and if we are talking a 'pro' camera ditch the onboard flash

also tethered support (hopefully coming soon anyway)

then the would be nice

built in grip, more megapixels, faster frame rate and bigger buffer, better positioning of a/e buttons etc

and I want a 400mm - 500mm f5.6 zoom that has the high speed focus!! (I want that more than another camera) - you would think that the past few years of everyone complaining about lack of long lenses, there would be something on the roadmap? instead 35mm macro?

phil

04-17-2007, 09:40 AM   #77

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
UNCRIPPLE THE K MOUNT!!!!!!!!!!

And put a focus aid, Split-Image, Microprisim, whatever, in the standard screen!
For the new and uninitiated, what is "crippled" about the K mount and what are we losing because of it?
04-17-2007, 09:46 AM   #78

5+fps with buffer big enough for 20 RAW+JPEG shots.
ProPhoto RGB
04-17-2007, 02:24 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Perhaps

QuoteOriginally posted by Steven Yampolsky Quote
5+fps with buffer big enough for 20 RAW+JPEG shots.
ProPhoto RGB
That may come sooner than you think less "ProPhoto" RGB....

04-17-2007, 03:37 PM   #80
Veteran Member

thoughts

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
I think Pentax should release it this year to keep things really moving (ie sept/ oct but I'd release the k50d??? very soon)

but I'd really like simply less noise (across the board) and more dynamic range as well as a pc sync socket / port or a better wireless system (so I don't have to go buy 3-4 new flashes) and if we are talking a 'pro' camera ditch the onboard flash

also tethered support (hopefully coming soon anyway)

then the would be nice

built in grip, more megapixels, faster frame rate and bigger buffer, better positioning of a/e buttons etc

and I want a 400mm - 500mm f5.6 zoom that has the high speed focus!! (I want that more than another camera) - you would think that the past few years of everyone complaining about lack of long lenses, there would be something on the roadmap? instead 35mm macro?

phil

Thought it about this more after I finished. its funny that most pro's use less features. Ben's pic of women throwing shoe was manual focus, most great macro shooters say manual focus. Most pros I have met predominately use 'manual' mode etc etc. The more I have used / learn't over the past 2 years, the less features I seem to be using. The bracketing on the k10d is really nice, but I am getting to the point where I look at a scene and decide that it will +.7 etc etc. My daughter was discussing the modes on her p&s (there are 30-40) and asked what I have, I thought about it and couldn't tell her (the camera wasn't in my hands at the time) all i ever seem to use is av or m.

The request for recommended books that come up is the same. we get the bryan peterson understanding exposure (which I like), and john shaws etc. then the more experienced people come in say that just like inspiration images and looking at mags etc.

anyway I was just amused at the thought that more experience seems to equal needing / wanting less features. (read an interview the other and the photographer was asked favourite camera - anyone with a shutter)

Phil
04-17-2007, 09:17 PM   #81
Inactive Account

Put all these features in it and put it out for under 1000 bucks ha
04-18-2007, 02:05 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Woman Throwing Shoe

QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
Thought it about this more after I finished. its funny that most pro's use less features. Ben's pic of women throwing shoe was manual focus, most great macro shooters say manual focus. Most pros I have met predominately use 'manual' mode etc etc. The more I have used / learn't over the past 2 years, the less features I seem to be using. The bracketing on the k10d is really nice, but I am getting to the point where I look at a scene and decide that it will +.7 etc etc. My daughter was discussing the modes on her p&s (there are 30-40) and asked what I have, I thought about it and couldn't tell her (the camera wasn't in my hands at the time) all i ever seem to use is av or m.

The request for recommended books that come up is the same. we get the bryan peterson understanding exposure (which I like), and john shaws etc. then the more experienced people come in say that just like inspiration images and looking at mags etc.

anyway I was just amused at the thought that more experience seems to equal needing / wanting less features. (read an interview the other and the photographer was asked favourite camera - anyone with a shutter)

Phil
The Model Sena Cech throwing the shoe was in "Auto Focus" mode and the still life was manual focus...Perhaps that is where you misunderstood the EXIF file

04-18-2007, 03:45 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
The Model Sena Cech throwing the shoe was in "Auto Focus" mode and the still life was manual focus...Perhaps that is where you misunderstood the EXIF file
sorry, I stuffed that
04-19-2007, 09:27 AM   #84

I recently read a review of the Sony A100, and it had _one_ feature I felt the K10D was missing: A gauge showing how much vibration the SR is currently compensating for.
With this feature, it should in theory (and the review of the A100 seems to be backing it) be even easier taking steady handheld shots.
04-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Quote
For the new and uninitiated, what is "crippled" about the K mount and what are we losing because of it?
The older manual lenses had a pin that told the camera what aperture was set. The cameras had a cam that detected the position of the pin, or lever, and allowed manual metering with the original cameras even though the lens stayed opened.

That cam is missing from the digital cameras, so all lenses before the A series cannot be used in auto mode without stop-down metering. It also precludes any use of automatic metering, as the lens is not telling the camera what aperture is set.

Even though the camera cannot set the lens in any way, there were cameras that worked in auto exposure with aperture priority. If the camera knows what the lens is set to, it can compensate even though the lens is wide open.
04-19-2007, 07:58 PM   #86
Veteran Member

I would like a digital level indicator in the viewfinder. I would also like some kind of grid or graticule displayed in the viewfinder, or several types that can be selected or cycled through as well as turned on/off.
04-20-2007, 12:40 AM   #87

QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
I would also like some kind of grid or graticule displayed in the viewfinder, or several types that can be selected or cycled through as well as turned on/off.
Nice! Me too... if it didn't increase the cost by an arm and a leg.
04-21-2007, 03:03 PM   #88

When!?!?! I am anxious with anticipation here!

There is one thing that Canikon crowd has over Pentax(well, two things but one is going to be in stores in a month or two, right?): sustainable FPS. In every other area, K10D is on the par with the likes of D200 or 30D.
04-21-2007, 03:35 PM   #89
Inactive Account

You just got me real excited there...

Prophoto is useless in-camera. If you want prophoto...shoot raw. Hell, if you know what prophoto is, odds are you arent shooting jpeg anyway.

5fps, higher flash sync (1/250 or so), maybe 12mp if the noise level is kept in check, are the main points on my wish list.

I think a 4 level DSLR lineup would be perfect:

100D series: make the successor smaller, aimed at beginners, or pancake lovers.
10D series: again, make the successor a little smaller, and not quite as feature laden, aimed at amateurs.
1D series: the pro-level APS-C. fast, big, built like a tank, you know this line means business. action shooters no longer have to think "big two," everyone else gets one badass camera.
645D series: the king of the castle, for serious landscape and studio shooters. Pentax's answer to full frame. please, please let it be weather sealed...

Lens-wise, a D FA 100-400 4.0-5.6 would be pretty sweet. Its probably not gonna happen, but a DA* 70/80-200 2.8 would also make me a happy camper, I'd much prefer that range (~100-300) than the 50-135. Pentax may be about primes and size, but they'd be that much more competitive with the big boys with a more extensive zoom lineup. New teleconverters would be nice, too...

When the DA/* lens roadmap is all in production, plus a couple more to fill in the remaining gaps, Pentax would certainly be well poised to be a serious threat to Nikon in the dSLR world. Ahh, one can dream...

While I'm at it, what about a RAW capable point n shoot?

Like I said, you got me all excited...
04-21-2007, 05:26 PM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by option Quote
Prophoto is useless in-camera. If you want prophoto...shoot raw. Hell, if you know what prophoto is, odds are you arent shooting jpeg anyway
OK, I may be clueless heres, but doesn't color space apply to RAW as well as JPG?