Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2015, 05:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-5 II Color Shifts

The other day I took a picture of an object outdoors under normal lighting conditions meaning daylight. It was a picture of a window surrounded by a wall. I downloaded the picture and since it looked fine to me, I just did some slight editing like increasing the contrast and sharpness like I normally do. The picture was taken in JPEG mode and the wall I mentioned, looked Gray. A few day later I revisited the scene where I took the picture and to my surprise the wall was actually Yellow ! I could not believe it figuring that maybe the owner had re-painted the Gray wall with Yellow paint ?

Puzzled, I went home and began editing the picture again this time shifting the Hue to more yellow and increasing the saturation. The wall now looked like the original color but then the entire picture was now a little more yellowish. This is not the first time I have experienced color shifts with the K-5 II, although it rarely happens. Most of the time the colors are dead on.

Has anybody experienced this or can explain why this happened.

01-29-2015, 05:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome!
a) Are you sure it was normal light conditions? Because it sounds like a white balance issue. The wall was lit by a non-white light, which would explain why when corrected, the surroundings look odd (they are lit by a different colour light)
b) If you edit your photos, adjusting WB, adding contrast and sharpness, you should take photos in raw (dng). You see, every time you edit a jpeg, some information is lost, more artifacts are added, and so on. So if you edit a jpeg photo once or twice, each time it will look worse and be of bigger size than before. If you shoot raw and use a good raw developing software (Fast Stone, Gimp, Lightroom, RawTherapee, After Shot,...) you need to do more adjustments manually (or use a preset), but you always retain the full data, and you can always "reset" back to original. White balance changes will not ruin the photo in any way, unlike jpeg.
01-29-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think a lot of factors are at play here - but the simple answer is the type, quality and intensity of the light. The camera is certainly going to pick up on this and to varying extents amplify the situation to varying degrees. Also, Na Horuk touched on a couple of additional aspects, how you captured the image (JPG or RAW) along with how you process what you captured.

An example: There is a little place up north of here - a bit of a canyon, that during the day, at high noon - can look pretty dismal. Lots of shades of off-white, grey and some dusty brown with some dirty washed out dirty reds. All around it can be pretty bland. If the sky is clear - its one set of these colors, and if its overcast, then you get a lot of indirect, reflective light - and its just another set of shades of these same colors. Other times of the day, brings out a completely different gamut of these color sets - vibrant reds, purples and oranges with some yellows thrown in - deep blacks and the entire set of grey tones in the shadows all mixed in. The Grand Canyon is famous for all of this. Tourists come at noon, and say - well its a big hole in the ground, what's the big deal about this place - all the pictures were doctored. Waste of a 4 hour drive. Get there earlier or stay later, or overnight - then it's a completely different view. What was uninteresting, is now very visually appealing and active with so many dynamically changing color pallets at play, that it becomes overwhelming. Sedona (to the south) with the red rock country pushes the reds along with the purples through out the day - but again washed out at noon. Bryce Canon (to the north east) does the same with whites, yellows and oranges, mixed in with shades of brown - across the entire spectrum of these color pallets.

What all of these locations have in common, is the type of light (harsh direct or indirect), weather, time of day, amount of wind, angle of the sun, season, humidity, etc. - all of this plays into to the colors that the eye perceives - and especially what the camera records. The golden and blue hours at sunrise and sunset - plays a large part in landscape photography - or anything that makes use of "natural" light.

Last edited by interested_observer; 01-29-2015 at 08:08 AM.
01-29-2015, 05:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Oops I thought I was going to be able to attach 2 pictures, but the system did not allow it . So this is the "after" picture I was talking about. The Original is posted (Kitty in the Window) in the Post your Pictures section here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/286858-cityscape-kitty-window.html I took it around 4:30PM when the sun started going down. It was a semi cloudy day nothing ununsual...

Attached Images

Last edited by hjoseph7; 01-30-2015 at 12:40 AM.