Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #1

D@MN!!

Due to some overzealous housecleaning, the cd for my new K20D was thrown away! How can I get a replacement!?

05-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Ouch!! sorry to hear that John. I know one of our other members had the same thing happen last year with the Photolab software and I had sent him a copy. there may be some one with a New K20D that could make you a copy for the disk and send it to you. I know from experience Pentax will charge for a new disk. If it's just the Photolab 3 disk I can make you a copy and send it to you. let me know If I can help.
05-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You can also download the disc content from various Pentax site. They are available on Pentax Canada, Pentax U.S.A., and quite a few others.
05-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Someone can make an .ISO image, upload it via RapidShare or Megaupload, the receiving end downloads it, burns to CD and HAY PRESTO!

Shipping CDs via mail can lead to "unfortunate accidents". (talking from experience)

05-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I looked

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
You can also download the disc content from various Pentax site. They are available on Pentax Canada, Pentax U.S.A., and quite a few others.
Where did you see these? All I ever found was the patch for the MAC file that was bad on the CD.
05-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #6
Inactive Account

My entire CD was bad, so I went here and gave it a try...It sounded as if it was just going to be an update, but it installed the entire photolab and photobrowser software ( Ihad no previous versions of this on my computer)

Pentax Imaging - Software & Firmaware Updates

and scroll down for the download links, PC and Mac and further down is the remote assistant
05-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
I believe you have to have the original software installed before the updates will work. You can't just download the software.

05-29-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I believe you have to have the original software installed before the updates will work. You can't just download the software.
If you don't have the software installed, it will ask for the original Pentax CD to verify that you have the software before the installation will continue. You don't need to have it installed in order to install the PhotoBrowser update.

Alex
05-29-2008, 08:58 PM   #9
Inactive Account

sorry, didn't mean to start anything, but....

I did just that, I had no software installed, and the CD was totally unreadable...

I was thinking it wouldn't work, I was waiting for the installer to ask for the CD or to locate the previous version on my mac, but it didn't. It installed, I opened it and I started using it (until Lightroom came out with the K20D update)
05-30-2008, 06:28 AM   #10

Original Poster
It's worth a try. Thanks for the tip! If any of you could burn a copy for me I'll be happy to pay for your time and trouble.
05-30-2008, 07:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You don't have to have the software installed. You can just download Pentax Photo Browser, Pentax Photo Library, Pentax Remote Assistant and Pentax Raw Codec from Pentax Canada site. They might ask you to register your camera first,but there is no reason you can't download them. Beside, what use would it be if you don't have the camera that go with it.
05-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
sorry, didn't mean to start anything, but....

I did just that, I had no software installed, and the CD was totally unreadable...

I was thinking it wouldn't work, I was waiting for the installer to ask for the CD or to locate the previous version on my mac, but it didn't. It installed, I opened it and I started using it (until Lightroom came out with the K20D update)

That's good to know. I know in the past it would ask for the original CD. Perhaps they've got a new license with Silky Pix or something.
05-30-2008, 11:48 AM   #13

Just wondering, I should be getting my K20D Monday, is there anything on that Cd that I would want to look at. I never even opened the one for my K10D. I just use Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop CS3 and never messed with the CD. Maybe I'm missing something?
05-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cygnet Quote
Just wondering, I should be getting my K20D Monday, is there anything on that Cd that I would want to look at. I never even opened the one for my K10D. I just use Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop CS3 and never messed with the CD. Maybe I'm missing something?
Congrats on the new K20D! Don't I see you on Texas Photo Forum? Anyhoo...there's nothing you need on the CD. It's just Photobrowser, Photolab, and Remote Assistant. You'll need to update Camera Raw to read the K20D pef's and you can now download the Windows Vista codec (I assume it's for XP as well?) so that Windows will display the thumbnail of the pef files.
05-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #15

Original Poster
No Joy

I just tried downloading from both the US and Canadian sites and they won't complete without the original CD or already installed software.