Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Aftermarket D-Li90 replacement reviews/ratings

Tried to find a similar thread to no avail so why don't we start one?

I've been using one of these for over a year along with the OEM batteries and it's a major piece of garbage:

Name:  _K5_9631.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  39.3 KB

-Burst mode just kills it, after a couple hundred shots taken a newly-charged battery drops to a half.
-It recovers if I let it rest, it might even start showing a full charge again after a few hours of doing nothing but don't count on it - it died on mу a couple of times after 50-100 shots despite showing full charge when I've turned on the camera.
-After a year its performance got even worse, last time I had it in the camera is started showing half-charge after a mere 300 non-burst shots.

Verdict: Basically it is a decent "backup" battery (for under 10$) that is nice to have but it's not dependable enough to be anything more. Luckily - I've got it for free during the faulty 5II firmware hysteria - so I can't really complain.

Please feel free to share your experience with other aftermarket brands, but please try keeping this thread to the subject.

Last edited by alexeyga; 02-01-2015 at 01:38 PM.
02-01-2015, 11:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have the Wasabi batteries. My K-3 is still fairly new, so I really haven't tested the branded battery or the aftermarket ones fully to their limits. I can say though, the Wasabis cost around $20, and I've spent a full day out shooting the streets in cold weather with a fully charged Wasabi, and the battery indicator is telling me that it's more or less still fully charged. Would I recommend them based on the testing that I've done so far? Yeah, sure!
02-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There use to be a lot of battery reviews (addressing various technical details) when cameras were using AAs. With these, it appears that it has just fallen into - based on experience.

On my K5, the OEM battery is still going strong (~700 images). I have two sets of Wasabi (2 batteries and a second batch of 3 batteries a year later). These have their pluses and minuses.
  • On the plus side, their price is 1/3 the OEM, while they recharge in an hour or two, as opposed to 6 hours for the OEM. The OEM battery charger with the cord is a PIA - while the Wasabi charger with the fold in plug does make a nice small portable unit.
  • On the minus, they only last about 50% to 60% as long as the OEMs.
Probably the best "review" site I can suggest is the Amazon customer ratings. I like to see the overall histogram - 5* to 1*, see what the distribution is. If the 1* and 2* are pretty small, go read the 1* to see what can go wrong.

There have been a number of replacement battery threads, but no real specific "reviews" per se. In the recent past there was one that indicated that Pentax were "making" their own battery modules - where the batteries actually came from - who knows. One thing for sure, yes the OEM batteries do outlast the third party replacements.

02-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter

This is good information, but it would be real helpful if you put a review in for the battery, it will stay there forever then. While trying to research some third party batteries earlier I realized there are not many reviews on them.

02-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have used Wasabis and they are OK. Definitely don't hold up under strain (a lot of live view/video/really cold weather) as the original batteries. I will say, too, that the K3 definitely is more power hungry than the K5/K5 IIs. Off brand batteries are much more likely with the K3 to drop charge quickly.
02-01-2015, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

I use a mix of Pentax OEM and Wasabi brand. I really cannot tell the difference between. Though I do not stress them as noted by others, I use live view very little and no burst mode. This is on k-3 and k-5IIs.

So under normal use the Wasabi ones work fine, maybe a little fewer shots than the OEM but not noticeable to me. And the swing plug travel charger is worth the cost of the batteries anyway.
02-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow this topic comes up a LOT. Again, my experience with the Wasabi's is that they are indistinguishable from the OEM Pentax branded batteries. I just can't tell until I pull them and look at them which is in the camera based on performance. Remember, neither Pentax nor Ricoh make their own batteries and are merely labeling contracted batteries.
02-01-2015, 02:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have used the Wasabi batteries for a couple of yrs and can see no diff from OEM, I don't use live view much though.

02-01-2015, 02:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Tried to find a similar thread to no avail so why don't we start one?

I've been using one of these for over a year along with the OEM batteries and it's a major piece of garbage:

Attachment 257083

-Burst mode just kills it, after a couple hundred shots taken a newly-charged battery drops to a half.
-It recovers if I let it rest, it might even start showing a full charge again after a few hours of doing nothing but don't count on it - it died on mу a couple of times after 50-100 shots despite showing full charge when I've turned on the camera.
-After a year its performance got even worse, last time I had it in the camera is started showing half-charge after a mere 300 non-burst shots.

Verdict: Basically it is a decent "backup" battery (for under 10$) that is nice to have but it's not dependable enough to be anything more. Luckily - I've got it for free during the faulty 5II firmware hysteria - so I can't really complain.

Please feel free to share your experience with other aftermarket brands, but please try keeping this thread to the subject.
I have a Watson battery from B&H usually mounted in my BG5 grip. I usually discharge grip first before camera body. However, I have noticed that both last for many shots when shooting without flash. The Pentax OEM may last slightly longer (>500 shots) but not dramatically more. I've only gotten to the point of switching to the second battery once in the 7 months I've had my K-3. Based on this, I would not hesitate to buy another Watson.
02-01-2015, 04:18 PM   #10

I have used cheapo third party batteries with my K-30 and I am using cheapo batteries with my K-3. So far I don't see a difference.
02-01-2015, 04:22 PM   #11

I bought a Maxsima battery off e-bay without really thinking about it. However, it seems fine and alternates between a K-5IIs and a K-01 without any obvious problems.