Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-03-2015, 07:12 AM   #1

Using K-3's SR as Improvised Tilt-Shift?

Hey guys, I just came across a situation yesterday when a tilt-shift lens would have been very helpful. I know Samyang makes a 24mm f/3.5 Tilt-Shift for pentax, but personally I don't find that wide enough for what I shoot, especially on a crop sensor camera. Sadly, metabones has not made a canon/nikon - pentax speed booster, otherwise that would solve all my problems.

I have hear rumours that we can trick our camera's shake reduction into an improvised tilt-shift, by making the sensor tilt, and shift. I have heard the the sensor can move a total of 8mm? I do realize that there would be different lengths between the lens and the sensor in places, so I would have to shoot f/8 - f/11. I just really don't know how.

Does anyone know how to do this? Currently I am just wasting TONS of pixels in photoshop to correct this, and a proper tilt shift, or even a slight fix would make the world of difference. I hope there is a way, especially since the camera has the hardware to do it.

Thanks,
Matt

02-03-2015, 07:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

As far as I know there is a way where you can slightly shift the sensor... but I'm pretty sure there is no way to actually tilt it...

Have a look here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/tutorial-videos/sensor-shift-in-action-...d-of-view.html
02-03-2015, 07:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am also not sure about the tilt, but shift is very possible. The K-7 already could do it (not sure of the k10 or 20)
02-03-2015, 07:32 AM   #4
baj

Photos: Gallery
How to Turn Any Lens into a Shift Lens - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

02-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i guess the real question, considering there is already an auto leveling / horizon correction starting i think with the K7 that some form of shift capability would be present, up to the displacement of the SR system.

tilt is obviously impossible

so the question is, how much impact does this have on the image? not much in my opinion, likely it would be better to simply fix this in post processing, as virtually all image processors allow for perspective correction, horizon correction etc.....
02-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #6

If you haven't already, check out mikeSF's thread on his use of the feature, including comparison pics and even GIFs which compare the sensor shifted images to the non-shifted ones.
02-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goodnight Quote
If you haven't already, check out mikeSF's thread on his use of the feature, including comparison pics and even GIFs which compare the sensor shifted images to the non-shifted ones.
I was about to suggest the same

02-03-2015, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Woodepic Quote
I have hear rumours that we can trick our camera's shake reduction into an improvised tilt-shift, by making the sensor tilt, and shift. I have heard the the sensor can move a total of 8mm?
The manual claims 1.5mm shift up, down, left, or right, but this is restricted to 1mm if you've also rotated the sensor. It can be rotated 1 degree either way (axis of rotation = lens axis). No tilting any way, or moving the sensor backwards in time (it's already moving forward in time at a non-user adjustable rate).

No replacement for a proper lens, but not too shabby as an included feature you can use with any lens you mount.

Last edited by BrianR; 02-03-2015 at 01:39 PM.
02-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-5II can do it using the "compose" feature... at least the shifting part. However, not only is this difficult to do without a tripod it is also time consuming and the actual shift is really not that much. My guess is it might come in handy when doing small product photography.