Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #31
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shows what I get fore relying on Wikipedia, however, with my K-5 and K-3 side-by-side, and my calipers, except for the slightly (~4mm) more forward and upward protruding flash housing on the K-3, can confirm that the overall dimensions are within 1mm of each other on both cameras. Oddly, going back to the Ricoh spec sheets, it appears that the K-5 dimensions, which were published under Hoya, are dimensions "without protrusions" while the ones for the K-3 are for the actual dimensions.

I think what is giving you the impression that the K-3 is significantly bigger is that the grip on the K-3 is tilted forward somewhat more (probably to make more room for the extra card slot at the rear) and the body thickness at the "SR" badge is a few mm thinner on the K-3 than on the K-5, leading to a larger apparent size for the right and grip, and of course the "headphone bump" does add some size on the lefthand side.

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Your k-3 dimensions aren't right. It's not a lot bigger or heavier, but it was enough to be noticeable in the hand to me.

02-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Seems to be a theme here. I don't have K3 experience, however, would that be true for almost any camera change?
For every sensor change at least. For example I used k-5, k-01 and k-5IIs with essentially the same PP presets and got good and consistent results. But when I got the k-3, those presets did not work. I would be curious to see if the presets work as well on images from the Nikon cameras with the corresponding sensors. but not curious enough to buy a Nikon to check.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I just don't think 40 grams is really perceptible to most folks in average usage, but obviously I am wrong as some on this thread notice the difference quite a lot. I will say that I shoot with my camera gripped a fair amount and when you are used to that combined with a DA * lens, both the K5 II and K3 feel light when you take the grip off.
I shoot k-5IIs and k-3 often in the same shoot and the weight difference is noticeable. Not enough to matter to me, but you can tell. I suspect using a grip would overwhelm any tiny difference though.