Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

Shutter release not working K10

Hello. Shutter release not working. Shooting today, nothing different or special, shutter stops working. Thought that the card was full, was about that time, but ... no . Even put in another empty card, nothing. Press the button down you feel something inside camera body seem to try, even a slight weighted feint thud... but nothing. Took battery out and put back in... though haven't left it out a long time; set lens to "A", took lens off and put back on; lens auto focuses, info reads out ontop camera body, flash fires.
Any ideas ?

Voicelit (marty)

05-30-2008, 02:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems to me, it would need a visit a Pentax repair store. I had the same problem with my K100D. Shutter dropped dead. Sorry...
05-30-2008, 02:06 AM   #3
Forum Member

This could be due to a depleted battery. Try to swap in a fully charged battery, if you have a spare.

The battery gauge on the k10d is quite abrupt. One moment, the gauge shows the battery is full. The next moment, it will show empty.
05-30-2008, 02:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was going to guess that you had switched to a manual focus lens and had forgotten to switch off the auto-focus on the K10. That'll cause the shutter not to fire. But then I saw that you said the lens was auto-focusing so....

05-30-2008, 05:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dancheng Quote
This could be due to a depleted battery. Try to swap in a fully charged battery, if you have a spare.

The battery gauge on the k10d is quite abrupt. One moment, the gauge shows the battery is full. The next moment, it will show empty.
If the flash fires and the lens focuses then it is not possible that it would be a battery related problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I was going to guess that you had switched to a manual focus lens and had forgotten to switch off the auto-focus on the K10. That'll cause the shutter not to fire. But then I saw that you said the lens was auto-focusing so....
Exactly! As I said: My K100D had the same simptoms. The guys at Pentax said, that there was a problem in shutter mechanism and repaired it. Luckily under warranty.
05-30-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Marty,
If you have a cable release switch, try using it. If the camera fires, the shutter button is likely bad. Does the mirror retract when the shutter button is depressed? This test with the lens off will show if it is a mirror or shutter issue. On the K100D, the 3 sec delay function will retract the mirror, before firing the shutter. Of course you need a fresh battery. It is a matter of identifing the failing function.

Dave
05-30-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
It is a matter of identifing the failing function.
The flash fires! No reason to search any further, shutter is the failing function.

05-31-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Orig. Poster Shutter failure

Yea, it's probabbly the shutter. I photograph my local dogpark . Everyday ! Daily chronicle of the goings on, about 500 shots a day. Got the camera in early December. The math is not on my side.
Odd that it doesn't show any signs of failing till, one shot - it's just over.
Any one know what actually breaks down in a case like this ?
Any idea of the cost of this sort of repair ?
Seems there's no way out of a 5 or 6 week wait time on repair ?
Any cool, secret, enlightened advice. Ie : " don't send it to the authorized manufacturer repair place ... " for some reason ; or , " make sure you tell them that .... " Probably isn't any sideways way to get this done cheaper and/or quicker. Just making sure I ask first.
Here's a question : how long can someone expect a repair to work ? If they replace the whole shutter device, should that get me another 1000,000 shots ? If just some part on the shutter, then couldn't anoter part of the shutter go in next few shots ? How does one know.
I guess, if you're not just a weekend, vacation shooter, this is why not to buy a used camera.

Oh well, thanks for all the help so far,

Marty ( voicelit)
06-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by voicelit Quote
... I photograph my local dogpark . Everyday ! Daily chronicle of the goings on, about 500 shots a day. ... Marty ( voicelit)
500 shots per day! I take 30-50 photos at our dogpark every few weeks. Of course the subjects don't pose very long so I get a lot of butt shots as the dog turns away as I push the shutter button.
06-04-2008, 03:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by voicelit Quote
If they replace the whole shutter device, should that get me another 1000,000 shots ?
Interesting, 500 shots a day since early december (6 months) make for 91,000 releases, let's say 100k. This is exactly what the K10D or K20D shutter lifetime is rated at.

The most economic may be to buy a bunch of used K10Ds ... Also a Nikon D3 with rated 300,000 actuations would be more expensive per actuation than a K20D. Most cheaper cameras are rated at 50,000 and less only.

So, 100,000 shots per 500$ (or 0.5 Cts per shot / 2.5$ per day) should be fair enough.
06-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #11
MnR

Hi,

If Pentax charges the same as Canon for a new shutter, Then you are looking at about $300.00 for it to be repaired.

You could get a new camera and sell the DL for parts on eBay to help with the purchase of a new camera....

Rudy