Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2008, 05:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

a k10d functions question

hi, could someone please post a link or info explaining these following k10d functions in depth?
*meter operating time
*auto ev compensation
*link af poin to ae
*pcf transfer mode
*auto-exposure lock

the manual doesnt seem to have alot info on them, so im just looking to know more.
thanks in advance

05-30-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll try to explain based on what I've got on the K100D.

*Meter operating time: the amount of time the meter is on (i.e the time you get info on shutter speed and aperture in the viewfinder/external display). When the meter is off, the viewfinder does not show such information - except for when you're in M mode.
*Auto EV compensation - don't have that on the K10D
*Link AF point to AE - the camera bases its exposure on the focus point that either you or it has selected.
*pcf transfer mode - can't tell. I just use the standard mode
*AE lock - pressing that button locks whatever the camera's meter... metered; for as long as the meter is on - it does not change exposure value regardless of scene change.

Last edited by ftpaddict; 05-30-2008 at 06:32 AM.
05-30-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote

*Meter operating time: the amount of time the meter is on (i.e the time you get info on shutter speed and aperture in the viewfinder/external display). When the meter is off, the viewfinder does not show such information - except for when you're in M mode.
*Link AF point to AE - the camera bases its exposure on the focus point that either you or it has selected.
*pcf transfer mode - can't tell. I just use the standard mode
*AE lock - pressing that button keeps whatever the camera's meter... metered; for as long as the meter is on - it does not change exposure value regardless of scene change.
thanks, u shed some light into it
btw, when you connect the cam to usb, do you turn it on before or after plugging in the cable? i wonder if it makes any difference?
05-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jani Quote
thanks, u shed some light into it
btw, when you connect the cam to usb, do you turn it on before or after plugging in the cable? i wonder if it makes any difference?
It doesn't make any difference. I usually connect the camera to the PC first, then turn it on.

05-30-2008, 06:35 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
It doesn't make any difference. I usually connect the camera to the PC first, then turn it on.
yeah me too
and the opposite with unplugging
05-30-2008, 07:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Auto EV compensation is on K10D (second panel on the custom menu, 4th line)
When it is on, the camera will assume you made an error if you set it in such a way that a "proper" exposure can't be made and will automatically "bypass" your inputs to have what it "thinks" is a proper exposure.
As for PC-F, it is for the "old fashionned" USB connection, which used to work about half as fast as todays USB connections. It is included for people running prehistoric computers.
05-30-2008, 07:14 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
ok thanks
i wonder where does pc-f come from? what does the f mean? stupid question, i know lol