Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Got my K-50! First Impressions

It came a day early! Woohoo!

Wow, I've handled a K-50 in the store but I was somehow surprised at how compact and small it was. The only other DSLR I've handled was the relatively bulky Canon Rebel XT.

Along with the size of the camera, I am amazed at how small the lenses are. Canon lenses seem huge now for some reason.

Ok, so I've been researching the camera for a long time now so I wasn't really surprised by the noisy focusing, etc. I took the camera to school with me today and started getting used to it. Here's a couple photos:

I really liked the composition on this one but once I saw it on the computer I wasn't happy with the sharpness. Any ideas of what I could have done better?
DA L 55-200mm AL WR @ 1/200 F4.5 ISO 200

smc PENTAX DA 50mm f/1.8 @ 1/30 F2.8 ISO 1600

02-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If you used AF, then there's a little front-focusing going on. You can adjust this per lens from the C menu (item 21).
02-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't go adjusting the focus right away, at least until you're sure that you are paying attention to the focusing when taking the shot.

I think the focus was likely on the bottle. So it's not like nothing is in focus. Just need to pay a bit more attention which point was lit up when shooting - one method for subjects like this may be to use centre point focus : you focus first, then reframe/compose the shot whilst keeping the shutter button half pressed. That way, you take control of the process a bit more.
02-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I think the baby photo shows there's FF going on, the hand and sleeve are in focus but not the baby's head.

02-05-2015, 07:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I think the baby photo shows there's FF going on, the hand and sleeve are in focus but not the baby's head.
I will keep the FF thing in mind. I just realized though that the AF works differently in live view mode and it wasn't centering the focus like I thought it was doing. I changed it to center focus though so hopefully I can get some better results. The two images used different lenses btw.
02-05-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
I will keep the FF thing in mind. I just realized though that the AF works differently in live view mode and it wasn't centering the focus like I thought it was doing. I changed it to center focus though so hopefully I can get some better results.
Live view CDAF is a good way to avoid any FF/BF problems.

I also have my K-50 set up for the center focus point.
The one thing to remember there is that the "point"
is actually a fairly big rectangle, and the camera
will lock on to anything contrasty within that area.
02-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like the focus is on the front of the right sleeve of the baby. Cute kid though

If you are letting the camera choose your AF point you may want to change it to center point focus. Then focus and recompose, you will miss shots at first but once you get used to it you will start nailing shots and get some really mind blowing sharp images
02-05-2015, 11:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter

You might want to just start using manual focus. Any adjustments you make will take less time than the AF once you get used to doing it that way, and you'll save some serious battery life. Definitely have a better chance at capturing a moving target that way.