APSc only 15151.36%
FF only 113.74%
APSc and FF mix 13244.90%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good grief! Why choose one or the other? I hope to buy the FF Pentax at some point, but I have no intention of selling my Q when that day comes so why would I dump my APS-C cameras?

02-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'll get a FF body. I've been with Pentax since the screw mount days and I have hoarded a very nice assortment of FF glass for this day. I'd been planning on buying the recent DA TC 1.4x converter, but that has gone on hold since as I understand
it---its not for FF, and I don't want to stick a 1/2 frame extender between a FF body and an FF lens.
02-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Honestly, there needs to be an "I don't know" option above. Because I really don't know what I will do. I have written here in the past that I'm not interesting nor have felt that I need a FF camera but that was based, and is still based, on my expectation that I will move to a 645D or Z in the future. I think that this will still be the case in the near term. I will watch and see how this goes though. I still love my K20, K5, and am learning to love my K3 (and my 645n and 6x7 as well). These provide me with all I need at this time. Time will tell though.
02-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
If I had unlimited financial resources then probably yes, but I don't so I'll stick with my K5ii and maybe spend some money on more lenses.
^^ as he said

Thanks for writing my thoughts!

02-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #50
Veteran Member

I think I'll be sticking with APS-C for this year, although I will be paying close attention to the FF Pentax happenings.

I am glad though that there is at least a natural upgrade path now.
02-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #51
Pentaxian

I've got 3 ASP-C Pentax bodies, around 12 digital lenses...most of them ASP-C...some both FF and ASP-C. I've been an avid photographer since the late '60's...so...I'm old.

I'll keep my ASP-C bodies....resale isn't great, I suspect and I don't need the money. I find that for my purposes...mostly enlarge just to 8 X 10...sometimes 11 X 14...ASP-C does an excellent job.

In the film days, I used both 35mm (SLR-Rangefinder) and had/used a Mamiya Medium Format system.

Will I go to FF ?

I don't know, maybe will eventually get a FF SLR, if I wear out my current stuff. Or maybe will go to FF, for the hardly defensible reason of I just want FF.

I'm in no hurry though. I read that some are ready to pack up and sell their ASP-C format stuff as soon as the FF stuff is ready.

Not me, I usually wait till any new product 'shakes' out first. I avoid doing unpaid product testing for manufacturers, if I can.

I also like to wait till just before a new product comes out...then grab an almost 'obsolete' product when they're being cleared out at bargain basement prices.

So, no voting for me. The jury is still out. Let's wait, see what the first reviews are like.

First.
02-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #52

Photos: Albums
I like the form and size of Pentax DSLR's bodies and don't intend to jump to FF as soon as it reach the shelves, but if the price is reasonable and if the FF body is as compact as the prototype suggests, I'll consider carefully.

Of course. ISO range and quality and DR are my main concern about image quality, besides the basic sharpness and colour, so if they got all that right, it will be a big plus for my style.

02-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #53
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

So, what would FF give me?
- a larger, better view finder
- "proper" wide angle lenses
- better dynamic range (I would expect)

All very nice, but not (for me) worth losing the long end of tele. Yes, I could get a monster lens, but no way will I carry a 2kg (or more) lens while hiking. And yes, I could use my 55-300 in crop mode - but that sort of defeats the purpose of FF.

Of course, if there's little or no price difference between aps and ff when the day comes to retire the K-3...

Last edited by savoche; 02-06-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Tapatalk ate one of my lines...
02-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Who's going to stick with APSc

My plan is to keep both, at least in the short term. I have funded each new camera in part by selling the camera it was replacing, but this time I intend to keep the K-3. I might well sell my MZ-S, though, and the stock of 35mm Agfa APX in my fridge. In the long term, 3 systems might prove to be more than I need and something will have to give, either APS-C or 645.
02-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #55

I would jump to FF if it has video functions like the GH4, otherwise i'll go with the KS2 and invest in more lenses.
02-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #56
Pentaxian

I will definitely get the FF. But will also keep my K-3 !
02-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I probably will shoot both for the time being.

I have a lot of primes that are full frame compatible, but it will be awhile before I can afford a Pentax brand normal and telephoto zoom for full frame. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to shoot it with the 16-50 and 50-135 and crop it. Might as well keep the K3. My K-01 isn't worth anything to anyone else anyway, so I'll keep them both.

And truth to tell, these things excel at different things anyway.
02-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #58

Ah! So much to choose from, so little information!

If I could buy a FF, what would be the advantages?

-Better ISO? Sensors get better everyday, so the next one could be pretty close to current FF. By the time I'm "ready" to move to FF, the next generation will be out.
-Better focusing? Somebody said on this forum that FF have better focusing. Have no idea why, or if APSC can catch up, but for shooting airplanes, that would be advantageous. On the other hand, some say Pentax focusing is crappy only because the lenses are slow focusing, and that might be cured with these new(?) motors. So, a probable good plus.
-DR? My K5 is great (came from a K10D), but can FF be much better? Donīt see anything in the tech news talking about an improvement in DR. ISO yes, DR no. Big unknown.
-Being able to accept photography "experts" that demand canikon for their wedding photography as customers, even as they accept lowly ingredients for their food as long as it's pretty? I'm not a pro, in whatever sense, so zero bonus for me.

Negatives: prices, of everything, no crop factor, size.

If Ricoh don't imitate Canon and downgrade their APSC (50D) so as not to eat into their FF,and keep investing into APSC, FF still looks for pros/specialized shooting or for bragging.

Just an opinion, so feel free to prove me wrong. Some people here are in fact waiting for that kind of information.
02-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #59

FF only for me. I've purchased 3 digital cameras in the last 25 years or so. Each with a larger sensor and each closer to meeting 100% of my wants. I could give a s#&! About size/weight/cost, and if the ff body is basically a plump k7 (what I now shoot) then all the better. The only crop lenses I have are the kit lenses and if I need these I can select crop mode...best of both worlds. I bought into Pentax because I love what they have to offer and I held off on switching to canikon because I know the difference between needs and wants. My son will need my k7 for a photo class next year and I want a new body that uses all of my Pentax film lenses at the field of view they were designed for, and provides a revolutionary (for me) jump in low light capability and quality. I have a penitent for fast glass and strictly shoot available light only.
02-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
FF only for me. I've purchased 3 digital cameras in the last 25 years or so. Each with a larger sensor and each closer to meeting 100% of my wants. I could give a s#&! About size/weight/cost, and if the ff body is basically a plump k7 (what I now shoot) then all the better. The only crop lenses I have are the kit lenses and if I need these I can select crop mode...best of both worlds. I bought into Pentax because I love what they have to offer and I held off on switching to canikon because I know the difference between needs and wants. My son will need my k7 for a photo class next year and I want a new body that uses all of my Pentax film lenses at the field of view they were designed for, and provides a revolutionary (for me) jump in low light capability and quality. I have a penitent for fast glass and strictly shoot available light only.
Sounds like the new FF is made with you in mind.