APSc only 15151.36%
FF only 113.74%
APSc and FF mix 13244.90%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 03:22 AM   #91

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Well with the future ff having option to crop I'm going to say I'd use both.
This says it all.

02-07-2015, 05:58 AM   #92

Photos: Albums
I'd shoot with both. Crop sensor for wildlife, and FF for general things - I'd like to use m legacy lenses in their full FOV.
02-07-2015, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
The correct answer is "mix" - both systems are good and both have their strong and weak points.
This is the only way to go. FF offers nothing for wildlife and telephoto work, but for travel, combined with a good wide angle, I can see it

After all, when the first digital came out I would shoot film using the FA-J 18-35 that came with my *istD on my PZ-1 and then for medium wide to tele, shoot digital. What's the difference now if FF comes out? Nothing at all. My 14/2.8 Samyang looks pretty good on my PZ1 so I just leave the film body at home
02-07-2015, 06:58 AM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by simon6z Quote
same thinking but would have to see more review and photos from the 150-450 to decide
I am sticking with APSC, having K-5 and K-3, but I have no reservations about going for the DFA 150 - 450 when it is out for a while and the price has dropped. If Ricoh/Pentax stops producing DA and releases only DFA lenses, that is no loss for APSC users. DFA is every bit as compatible with APSC as DA is. I used to have DFA 50 macro and sold it to get DFA 100 WR macro. These are two of the best lenses that I have or had.

02-07-2015, 07:09 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
If I could buy a FF, what would be the advantages?
That's the million dollar question. What if Pentax includes a "killer ap" in the FF that's unavailable in their APS-C models ?

Something revolutionary that we have not even imagined....

Then all our practical considerations of APS-C vs FF will go out the window - to get that magical feature, we'll need to get the FF body. We'll rationalize as to why we can live without that magical feature, but in our heart of hearts, we'll all lust after the FF and we won't be content until we possess it.

( this is the marketing strategy we have to worry about )

APS-C works great for the majority of my work - better than FF would. It would be great to have FF for more general shooting, landscape and such, but I don't see myself being able to justify the expense in the short term.

Someday maybe...

And therein lies the rub. I may want to get a FF body *someday*. And that isn't completely hypothetical anymore.

How does that impact my lens purchases in the short term?

At the moment, most of my lenses are FF compatible.

Should I get the 15mm LTD I've been lusting after? Or would I be better off tracking down an FA 20-35, and living with it as a "normal" zoom on my APS-C for (possibly) years to come?

For my own part, I can't see myself lugging around 2 bodies. Choosing which lenses I can afford to carry is usually enough of a quandary. If I do get a FF body someday, the APS-C bodies will
start to gather dust.

I answered APS-C only for the purposes of the survey, but the reality is that I'll likely cave sooner or later and get a FF. Especially if my buddy gets one...

I predict that during future Black Friday sales, we'll be seeing statements like " At that price, I can't afford to NOT buy a FF !!"
02-07-2015, 07:40 AM   #96
Veteran Member

For me I'm waiting for the next gen K3. I look at the work of Dr. ORLOFF, NASS, DARRYL RAW and a few others shooting with K5s and think I have a VERY long way to go before I will need FF to reach my potential. I'd suggest that many of those thinking that FF is going to make them better photographers first go to the "Exclusive gallery" and see how you stack up. The only reason I personally can see for FF is landscape work or better low light, and if I ever get that deep into it, I'll go medium format or maybe even large format.
02-07-2015, 07:41 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Interesting, with the rest of the world 10% full frame, but you ask the question on the Pentax forum... and you have 44% voting for Full Frame. in terms of the validity of forum polls, that would suggest, forum polls over-estimate the preferences of high end users by about 440%. Either that or Pentax will have the highest Full Frame adoption rate of any camera company. I'm guessing suggestion 1 is way more likely.
02-07-2015, 07:41 AM   #98
Site Supporter

I haven't answered, and I don't really feel "worthy" to answer. I never want to be anything but a hobbyist photographer, with my old manual glass. It's simply a joy, and it's my only hobby.

I have never particularly wanted FF, but I've never been opposed to it, either. I'm just all about the K-mount. :-) The size of the FF wouldn't bother me, and I would greatly appreciate low-light/high ISO performance (I'm always shooting twilight/indoors)... But the cost will stop me dead in my tracks.

I feel like, with the FF's ability to adapt itself to the APS-C specific glass makes the argument for APS-C's superiority almost moot. Just set it up in your workflow to crop the center out of your images if you want the APS-C field of view on your FF. :-P

Size and cost is the only factor after that.

I would love to see 28mm like I used to see it through my film bodies. :-)

I'm also concerned about the size of the files FF will produce. They're gonna be huge. I might need to upgrade my RAM just to get 'em on the computer to process them!

02-07-2015, 08:24 AM   #99
Pentaxian

I voted for both knowing the reality that as soon as I get my hands on that puppy my k-5 is not going to see very much action anymore.
02-07-2015, 08:34 AM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I'm excited about the new FF, especially the possibility to use all my old glass at their originally
designed FOV. 28mm is wide again. 50mm is once again useable at close quarters.

But having just acquired a K-3, I am in no rush. I look forward to a day having an APS, FF and
Q bodies, each offering a unique range and feel to the various lenses in my collection. Good
times ahead.
I have a K-5, but I agree for the reasons above. I have used Pentax for over 30 years, and I wanted as much Manual-only control in the body, in addition to being able to use my old lenses. I love all the features a modern camera offers, but too much automatic "crutches make me a lazy photographer, and make my shots more like snapshots that actual composed photgraphs.

If the Pentax FF has the same functionality and the ability to use all my old lenses at a reasonable price point, I will get it as a second body, but I doubt I'd give up my K-5.

Having original FOV would be nice, I've always preferred 21-28 mm on my K-1000.
02-07-2015, 10:17 AM   #101
Veteran Member

I'll be sticking with my K-5II for a while. Down the road a couple of years, i'm sure a super sweet black friday sale on a Pentax FF could entice me to make the jump.
02-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #102
Site Supporter

Nothing wrong with my K-5 II, unless the new Pentax FF blows it out of the water, but I doubt it since if that was the case everybody would be sporting a 645-z
02-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #103
Pentaxian

What we are all forgetting here is that pentax has MF while Sony, Nikon and cannon do not

I think their strategy is already pretty well set,mber any way. If you look at the 3% that are full frame only, that's the real market. Why all the cost for 3% , but this is not a FF thread so I will stay with my answer, since pentax is a system, full frame is just another tool in the system.

For me, though , it should come with aperture coupling and both P-TTL and TTL flash metering. After all, we are talking about a flagship body which should offer the most compatibility into the system, maybe even off the sensor plane entering like the LX during exposure
02-07-2015, 12:35 PM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Interesting, with the rest of the world 10% full frame, but you ask the question on the Pentax forum... and you have 44% voting for Full Frame. in terms of the validity of forum polls, that would suggest, forum polls over-estimate the preferences of high end users by about 440%. Either that or Pentax will have the highest Full Frame adoption rate of any camera company. I'm guessing suggestion 1 is way more likely.
Actually, its pretty evenly divided between having no interest in a FF and getting a FF (even to use with a cropped body). I also think that its more of the answering population as opposed to the entire population on the Forum.
________

Me, I am just going to go back to hibernation. What I have is perfectly fine for the next few years, until everything is a bit better known and sorted out. I am happy with what I have - and it still works. It all comes down to going out and shooting more.

02-07-2015, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #105
Pentaxian

The results would have been more representative of the whole forum if there had been a 4th poll option:

4) I'm happy with APS-C and so sick of hearing about FF that I never open threads like this.