APSc only 15151.36%
FF only 113.74%
APSc and FF mix 13244.90%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am beyond pleased with my current Pentax APSC equipment. Maybe the 16-85 needs to be auditioned...

02-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #32
Veteran Member

FF is a luxury for me. Everything about it is more expensive. It would be nice to mount my 31, 77, and 100 macro on it, that's for sure.
02-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I could afford the full frame camera I'd be quivering on my haunches outside my local camera shop on the morning it goes on sale, drooling and whimpering like a dog expecting a treat. I've shot enough film with my Takumars to have a reasonable idea of how good they'll be on full frame digital, and from the one photo I've seen of the thing so far it looks like the viewfinder is going to be gimungous.

But I can't afford it, so for the time being I'll be shooting APS-C and buying lottery tickets.
02-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Can not say if my next body will be FF or not. I can tell for I will stay with pentax for sure. But all depends on pricing, money situation, good offers, second hand prices etc.Near same price for sure FF, twice as much for FF I dont think so...now but newer know for sure lets see hehee maybe some day for sure

02-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #35
Veteran Member

My plan is to keep the K-01 as backup (maybe upgrade it to a K-30 or K-5iis in the next year or so, going cheap) and get the new FF if the price is not too outrageous.
02-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I've no plans to jump to FF right away. When it comes time to retire my k5iis (this may not be for several years), I'll definitely consider it. How much this influences lens buying in the meantime will really depend on where they take aps-c, what the FF market is looking like (especially used prices), and the all important reevaluation of my photographic needs/wants as time goes on.
02-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Could you repeat the question?

Steve

(...been shooting multiple formats for years...)

02-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
'm just wondering what will happen to prices on used DA and DA* lenses. Will they go down as the Pentaxian Pros move into FF and start selling off their old gear? Or will they only increase now that Pros from Cannikon can jump into the Pentax line and start playing around with our beloved toys? Will the lenses that cover both APS-C and FF increase in value, but the APS-C lenses decline? Exciting times to be a Pentaxian!
I would assume lenses that are FF-compatible would increase in value. So, for example, the Tamron 28-75 may be more appealing today than when it was paired with APS-C camera. The DA lenses (that have been shown to not work well on full frame) may lose some value, especially the non-premium (not limited or *) ones. That said, more and more people are coming on board the K-mount train, and probably starting with (and staying with) APS-C, so the market for DA lenses shouldn't bottom out too much.
02-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I'm definitely sticking with APS-C. And Micro Four Thirds. And Nikon CX. And Pentax Q. For now, at least.
02-06-2015, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
The correct answer is "mix" - both systems are good and both have their strong and weak points.

If I had unlimited financial resources then probably yes, but I don't so I'll stick with my K5ii and maybe spend some money on more lenses.
02-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

APS-C only. Unless ... well ... I should win the lottery or something.

Would want to protect my investment in the DA lenses. As long as Ricoh stays committed to its APS-C line, I'm fine. Don't really care much for the additional bulk and weight of FF. APS-C is more likely to be "always with you", at least with me, when travelling or going on hikes, I guess.
02-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I plan to stick with my pair of K3's for at least 4-5 more years before even considering something else. I'll invest in more glass for the time being. So, APSC only.
02-06-2015, 11:02 AM   #43

I'm happy with my old K-5 and will use it til it falls apart. I really don't need better IQ or shorter DoF so the single reason I would have for going FF would be more options for wide lenses. But I'm an amateur so I don't *need* FF and the costs are prohibitive: 1) body 2) new AF lenses and 3) new computer since my old one can't handle the size of the raw files of FF. But it is nice to have the FF option for the future, and maybe the prices will have dropped when I need a new camera.
02-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #44

Apsc is my first choice especially for travel. A 17-70 plus 55-300 takes care of almost everything, and the resolution and dynamic range is more than i need. However i just love the look of shallow DOF i get from my 35mm/MF film cameras for portraits. Must resist this FF temptation.ü
02-06-2015, 11:12 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
FF for the sake of FF doesn't hold much appeal for me. I'm not into ultra-wide shots or razor-thin DoF. High-ISO performance is appealing, but... eh.

I'm actually in the process of divesting myself of some Pentax gear and running Pentax and Oly m43.
Same here, mostly. I only got an old 5D to have 2 options with the 17mm TS that cost almost 4X as that body.