Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Top of the line ASP-C SLR-K3...last of the line

Now that a Full Frame Pentax is in the near future, I wonder if there will be anymore top of the line ASP-C's coming from Pentax ?

Will the K-3 be the last of the line ?

02-06-2015, 01:48 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why on Earth would they abandon an established line that is likely to sell 10X+ the FF model?
02-06-2015, 01:54 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I'm wondering now that there's a full frame will the stupid threads ever stop?
The FF threads will be replaced by whining that Pentax will now abandon APSC.
02-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
Forum Member

I agree with Docrwm.

See Nikon and Canon lines of DSLR and we can discuss again.

In short, no, K-3 probably won't be the last of the adv APS-C.

02-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Now that a Full Frame Pentax is in the near future, I wonder if there will be anymore top of the line ASP-C's coming from Pentax ?

No.

02-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I'd thought about this and I really hope not. I'm thoroughly invested in APS-C lenses and no matter how cheap FF sensors get, an APS-C one will always be cheaper.

APS-C will remain the de-facto sensor size for DSLRs and mirrorless cameras for the forseeable future, even with a FF Pentax around.
02-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why would the K3 be last of the line?

As long as there is money to be made the crop market, why wouldn't Pentax be there? And as far as I can tell, there are at least 7 or 8 crop sensor cameras sold for every full frame sensor camera that is sold. Lots of 7D Mk II and D7100 cameras being sold right now.

02-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I really hope not. If they make improvements to the already amazing K3 I'll be all over the next one.
02-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

very likely indeed.
02-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe Pentax will do what Sony appears to be doing. The APS-C bodies keep coming, but the new lenses are FF, because they can be used with either format.
02-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Maybe Pentax will do what Sony appears to be doing. The APS-C bodies keep coming, but the new lenses are FF, because they can be used with either format.
Having bought a number of new ASP-C lenses only...I wish Pentax had done as you say and I quote.....'new lenses are FF, because they can be used with either format'.... with their previous new lenses.
02-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Having bought a number of new ASP-C lenses only...I wish Pentax had done as you say and I quote.....'new lenses are FF, because they can be used with either format'.... with their previous new lenses.
It's fine with some lenses, but not with others. Look at the cost, size and weight differences between a 50-135 and 70-200 for example.
02-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
It's fine with some lenses, but not with others. Look at the cost, size and weight differences between a 50-135 and 70-200 for example.
Absolutely. The need is for both forms, knowing which is which is critical and having the FF support both makes the most sense.
02-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Nikon produces high-end APS-C cameras in addition to full-frame cameras. So does Canon. I don't see a problem here.
02-06-2015, 03:18 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Why would the K3 be last of the line?

As long as there is money to be made the crop market, why wouldn't Pentax be there? And as far as I can tell, there are at least 7 or 8 crop sensor cameras sold for every full frame sensor camera that is sold. Lots of 7D Mk II and D7100 cameras being sold right now.
Yes, exactly.

At $2500 to $3500 (???), the full frame is for a rarified audience who can afford that much for a camera. Either very serious and well-off hobbyists, or professionals who earn money from photography. By its price-point alone, the audience is very restricted in nature. Unless prices drop drastically, FF will never be an "everyman" type camera.

APS-C cameras are available to a much wider audience who can afford that price range. As prices go up, eligible buyers drop dramatically. In the hundreds of dollars, millions more people can afford the cameras.

As point-and-shoot cameras are cannibalized by phone cameras, the DSLR will remain as the only step up for more serious photography. Within that already limited step-up range, those who will spend over $2500 for a body will remain a (relative to total population) very few. Many more will want the step-up, but at a more budget-friendly price.

645 will remain the tip of the pyramid with FF likely to become a new cone just beneath the tip and the broader base spread over a two or three levels of APS-C bodies. The APS-C bodies will be the volume sellers.

Edit: What Ricoh/Pentax really needs to do within the USA is begin to act like a serious retailer. Advertise. Get a decent online webstore. Arrange for fast and reliable warranty service. Advertise. Correct the Email addresses on their website. Advertise. Correct everything else which is dated and invalid on their website. Advertise. Create retail relationships in major population centers. Advertise.

Ricoh/Pentax has really great products. They sell themselves short (and short their own profits) by not spending the minimum necessary to create a marketplace presence (and provide the service which people expect). Sales could increase noticeably from the small marketshare they hold now, just with a little attention and effort.

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 02-06-2015 at 03:29 PM. Reason: to be more bossy... :-)