Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Canon and Nikon never really invested in high quality APS-C lenses where as Pentax gave us Da* and Da ltd.
Pentax try to make a great systems in every format.
Canikon have only one quality system in FF and use APS-C (and marketing)to feed into it. Of course APS-C has advantages for long lenses and they created massive damage to their brands among some shooters by not upgrading the APS-C cameras with pro specs. I doubt Ricoh will be stupid enough to do that.
The two long zooms just announced will be help attract APS-c shooters with deep pockets. Exactly the type of clients who might pick up a FF with a few Fa Limiteds just for their fun camera!

02-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Top of the line ASP-C SLR-K3...last of the line
No not at all, the Pentax market is big enough for both FF and APS-C to coexist together (at last).
02-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Edit: What Ricoh/Pentax really needs to do within the USA is begin to act like a serious retailer. Advertise. Get a decent online webstore. Arrange for fast and reliable warranty service. Advertise. Correct the Email addresses on their website. Advertise. Correct everything else which is dated and invalid on their website. Advertise. Create retail relationships in major population centers. Advertise.

Ricoh/Pentax has really great products. They sell themselves short (and short their own profits) by not spending the minimum necessary to create a marketplace presence (and provide the service which people expect). Sales could increase noticeably from the small marketshare they hold now, just with a little attention and effort.
I refuse to beleive that isn't exactly what they want to do here - and I refuse to believe there isn't something we can't see from the outside that has to happen - which they are doing - before it can start.
02-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Now that a Full Frame Pentax is in the near future, I wonder if there will be anymore top of the line ASP-C's coming from Pentax ?

Will the K-3 be the last of the line ?
Canon and Nikon both seem to be happy carrying both. Why not Pentax?

02-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #20

QuoteQuote:
The FF threads will be replaced by whining that Pentax will now abandon APSC.
And if they put Ricoh on the back their joy will be complete.

Last edited by cmar; 02-06-2015 at 04:51 PM.
02-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Now that a Full Frame Pentax is in the near future, I wonder if there will be anymore top of the line ASP-C's coming from Pentax ?

Yes. Buy all of the K3's that you can now! Otherwise all of your DA lenses will be useless! Hurry! The prices are just going to go up as more and more people convert over to FF!
02-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #22

Hope not....

02-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Why on Earth would they abandon an established line that is likely to sell 10X+ the FF model?
They have a pretty decent lens lineup so abandoning the crop would be monumentally stupid. In some form or another there will be a crop circle somewhere coming from Pentax.

---------- Post added 02-06-15 at 07:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
No not at all, the Pentax market is big enough for both FF and APS-C to coexist together (at last).
Not to mention when Pentax starts slowly over time stealing market share from the Canikon crowd. Over time, you mark my words, these two rabid group of sometimes arrogant gear punks will be forced to reckon with Pentax.

With the trifecta.... crop, FF, and medium format under their belt I see Ricoh taking share away from Canikon. It won't happen over night but over the next 5 to 10 years we will look back and go 'geez they just came in and took huge chunk of sales from those other guys'.
02-06-2015, 06:20 PM   #24
JPT
Pentaxian

In the last year or two Ricoh has released or updated a number of mid to high priced APS-C only lenses - DA 560, DA limited HD updates, DA 55-300 HD update, DA 20-40, DA 16-85. I'm sure they will have a high-end body for the foreseeable future.

From another point of view, the K-3 seems to have been a good seller, so it doesn't make sense to drop it from the line. Canon had to issue an apology that they could not keep up with demand for the 7D mark 2, so I think that there is a demonstrated market for high-end APS-C.

What I do think, though, it that we won't see many all-new APS-C optimised lenses for a while. Ricoh/Pentax is already well ahead in that respect and the full frame lenses will fill some gaps in the line up anyway.
02-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Nikon produces high-end APS-C cameras in addition to full-frame cameras. So does Canon. I don't see a problem here.
The problem is, they don't produce APS-C lenses.
02-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just because I am going to be buying the FF doesn't mean I will stop buying APS-C.

They are not mutually exclusive.

It will be AWESOME to have both in my kit!!!
02-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #27
Forum Member

Last of the line? No.
Pentax/Ricoh has virtually nothing for full frame lenses (sure, you can use the old stuff, but - and I'll be crucified for this - they don't match the performance of new glass on an APS Pentax), and I doubt they've got the finances, or production capacity, to introduce a whole raft of new FF lenses. That would mean, if they want sales, they need to keep the APS line going.
02-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I doubt it.
I love my K-3 and while I have a lot of FF lenses right now, I'm not going to be an early adopter of the Pentax FF camera.
I love my K-3 .....hey...I'm still shooting and developing film.....and film still isn't going anywhere either...
02-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The problem is, they don't produce APS-C lenses.
Nikon makes a few, although they tend to be budget lenses. Canon also has a number of them in the EF-S mount.

Nikon offers a crop mode for their FF cameras while Canon does not. Canon is always on the lookout for its customers that way. They made sure to make the EF-S mount physically incompatible with EF mount so that consumers would have to replace all those lenses they foolishly bought not have to deal with the inevitable vingnetting that would result. Aren't they a nice group of guys?
02-06-2015, 08:33 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Yes. Buy all of the K3's that you can now! Otherwise all of your DA lenses will be useless! Hurry! The prices are just going to go up as more and more people convert over to FF!
Looks like you talk the talk and walk the walk. I see you have K3 Owner listed twice. Are you cornering the market...ready for big money re-sale, when the price of K3's rise dramatically...as per your prediction..