Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2008, 08:19 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
As other's have said, Pentax lenses. While it was mentioned that, with some limitations you can use any K mount lens ever made, with an adapter you can go further back and use any of the old M42 Super and Super Multi Coated Takumar lenses. Some of the greatest mass production glass ever made. I have 45 year old lenses that I can use, with restrictions, on my 2 month old K100D. As far as I'm concerned, that tops any other reason.

CW

05-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
Sony has built-in SR and supports a lot of very good old Minolta lenses....
But the build quality of Sony DSLRs are the worst i have ever touched.
And it's Sony... seriously man... Pentax is waaaay cooler than Sony!
Rokkors! Yum! One of those days i will have to calculate if i can do a mount conversion on a 58/1.2 to K-Mount, the way Canon users right now flock and do a mount conversion to EOS.
K-Mount register distance is even shorter than Canon so there is more material to remove on the spacer inside.

That said, if i want a walkman or a video camera, sure, Sony, but for photography, i rather get an item from an old camera company.
05-31-2008, 07:48 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Shake Reduction Sold Me

As someone who has mobility problems in my shoulders,The SD is far and away much better than the Fuji s8000 bridgecam I was using, even using the Sigma 70-300mm zoom, I get sharp pics at slow shutter speeds. I also wish it had 3200 ISO like the k100d but wonder if I'd really need it as much as I like having the 100 ISO for it's sharpness. Since the k200d has the "bulb" setting and long timed auto exposures, I don't mind setting up a tripod for those rare very low lit shots.

Barry
05-31-2008, 03:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
Rokkors! Yum! One of those days i will have to calculate if i can do a mount conversion on a 58/1.2 to K-Mount, the way Canon users right now flock and do a mount conversion to EOS.
K-Mount register distance is even shorter than Canon so there is more material to remove on the spacer inside.

That said, if i want a walkman or a video camera, sure, Sony, but for photography, i rather get an item from an old camera company.
you do realize that a good majority of the sony alpha camera division is just old konica minolta, right? it is from an old camera company.

05-31-2008, 03:23 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Won't Be Fooled Again

I will never never buy ANYTHING from Sony again. They left me out to dry when I bought my Betamax back in the 80's, so you think I'm gonna buy a camera from them that uses the memory stick and have them discontinue that card format in a few years like they did tapes for my beloved Beta? Sony has a history of making products that aren't compatible with any other device but their own, as the saying goes "fool me once,shame on you,fool me twice, shame on me.

Barry
05-31-2008, 03:59 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Okay, I'm in ;7)

Gosh, but you folks are an opinionated lot ...

I'm in. Picked up the K200D w/ the 18-55 II an hour ago.

And so the DSLR journey begins.

Cheers,

- Richard
Old Without Money
05-31-2008, 04:04 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I thought opinions were what you had asked for... ??
05-31-2008, 04:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by expatCanuck Quote

Congrats! I'm confident you will be quite happy with the decision. Now get off the interweb and go snap some pics!!!

05-31-2008, 04:28 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Another Congrats

Cheers,

- Richard
Old Without Money
I know you'll love it, can I have your $100 rebate?
05-31-2008, 04:35 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Hi Barry

I heartily support your decision that:

QuoteQuote:
I will never never buy ANYTHING from Sony again. Sony has a history of making products that aren't compatible with any other device but their own
Historically it's one of Sony's favourite tricks to deliberately design proprietary connections that prevent competing 3rd party manufacturers from producing cheaper alternatives, unless they agree to pay a fat licensing fee up-front. This inevitably pushes their retail prices back up again ! The excessive cost of Sony's proprietary memory-stick is a case-in-point and quite frankly, anybody who 'buys into' this type of short-sighted technology are either 1) too well-heeled for their own good or 2) deserve to get their fingers burned for not having done enough research on the subject !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 05-31-2008 at 04:45 PM.
05-31-2008, 05:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
I will never never buy ANYTHING from Sony again. They left me out to dry when I bought my Betamax back in the 80's, so you think I'm gonna buy a camera from them that uses the memory stick and have them discontinue that card format in a few years like they did tapes for my beloved Beta? Sony has a history of making products that aren't compatible with any other device but their own, as the saying goes "fool me once,shame on you,fool me twice, shame on me.

Barry
Betamax was superior to VHS but lost the videotape format war, simple as that. By the same argument then one should not buy Toshiba products because they decided earlier this year to cease to develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders. So I guess you won't be buying any Sony Blu-ray discs, players or recorders nor the Playstation 3, which would be silly because Blu-ray is now the de facto standard for high definition video.
05-31-2008, 05:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

One of the thing that did not help the Betamax in the war against VHS was the fact that it couldn't record a 2 hour movie on the same cassette. As far as licensing fees are concerned, all developers of technology do the same. If you go in the 80's, I remember seeing 12 inches Laservision video disc. For image quality, they were ahead of VHS and Beta, but, due to poor marketing and lack of support (everybody was either supporting Beta or VHS), the technology didn't catch. I still have a few of those Laservision disc, but no way to use them, since my Laservision deck is long gone.
05-31-2008, 06:47 PM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
One of the thing that did not help the Betamax in the war against VHS was the fact that it couldn't record a 2 hour movie on the same cassette. As far as licensing fees are concerned, all developers of technology do the same. If you go in the 80's, I remember seeing 12 inches Laservision video disc. For image quality, they were ahead of VHS and Beta, but, due to poor marketing and lack of support (everybody was either supporting Beta or VHS), the technology didn't catch. I still have a few of those Laservision disc, but no way to use them, since my Laservision deck is long gone.
LOL, I bought one those early Pioneer Laservison disc players, supurb quality for sure over that dreaded RCA machine that used needles but Pioneer lied in their promotion of it to me and others, saying "they would soon have an adapter that would accept the new (not available back then) smaller audio CDs.. it never happened.I bet "Blu-Ray" will be replaced by something new in as few as three years and "Playstation 6" games will not play in "Playstation 5" game consoles. Gotta love that marketing. Anyone want to buy a Sony Mavica that takes a floppy disc? <g>

Barry
05-31-2008, 06:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Which again reinforces the view:
"Technological superiority has nothing to do with its commercial performance"... a la Pentax K20D ;-)
No no...i dont wanna start any flame wars..but ....
05-31-2008, 07:01 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
I thought opinions were what you had asked for... ??

James -- you did see the wink at the end of that line, didn't you?

- Richard
Old Without Money