Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
nakey: (first off, odd i see your reply in an email, but on on the thread)

so if your friends own Canon and you own Pentax, that means what exactly?
is it peer pressure? is it like owning a Creative Labs Black Zen MP3 player when everyone else owns an ipod?
or do they all share lenses/flashes and you can't share with them?

really curious how what they own matters

06-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
Have you not noticed how much smaller the Canon viewfinder is?
not really.. which is why i don't get the pentaprism in *ist DS v pentamirror in K200D thing...

Do you want to spend extra if you want a lens with IS?
hell no
That being said, i'm not exactly an IS/SR user now. so chances are that i'd probably wouldn't get IS if there was a choice... i've managed up to now

Would it be easier to just own what your friends own?
It's been a thought, but i got smacked out by my 20D owning friend for thinking that. Arguably jealous of the output they make, and again, it's that head v heart thing. i know i can do good shots with pentax if i had their skills (hell, 20D owning friend did great with the school loaner *ist D that he used before buying the 20D)

I have trouble putting it into words, but i just "think" that canon users make greater shots because of their gear. For some reason, i don't think that of Nikon or Nikon users, and no nikon user has tried to convert me. I wouldn't mind Nikon, but it doesn't conflict me the same way that canon does. Quite frankly, even having used a lot more of their cameras, between Nikon and Pentax, i'm staying

Get the K20D and never look back at this thread where you almost made the mistake to downgrade to a Canon. (Or maybe K200D and a nice new lens like the 70/2.4?)
K200D + Grip + 4x Uniross CRV3 Li-on Batteries + sigma 30mm F1.8?

nakey: (first off, odd i see your reply in an email, but on on the thread)
accidentally clicked submit instead of reply.. deleted it and started again :P

so if your friends own Canon and you own Pentax, that means what exactly?

is it peer pressure? is it like owning a Creative Labs Black Zen MP3 player when everyone else owns an ipod?
i dunno.. it's hard to put. it's being able to relate, share equipment, share hardware tips and tricks and stuff like that.

BTW: i do own a Creative Zen Neeon II. Looking at getting an ipod, but my reasons are totally different (all them Bluetooth Music adapters. ones that plug into the Creative don't let you control your music), and I know there's an anti-sony sentiment here, but if their MP3 player with bluetooth music had a normal USB socket (instead of their special one), i'd get that instead

or do they all share lenses/flashes and you can't share with them?
that too, to a small extent
06-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nakey Quote

I have trouble putting it into words, but i just "think" that canon users make greater shots because of their gear.
Nah.
Like peoeple said, unless you have a need for big sports glass (ok birders, you use them too...) or high FPS, or full frame (and none of your choices are fullframe) i don't see anything Pentax is lacking.

And you commented on sharing tips and tricks, think about it this way, if your friends and you share information in a brand spanning fashion, it might make everyone better, since you think in generic photography terms and not in brand specific gearheadery

There are many happy Canon and Nikon users out there, i happen to like my Pentax better than my Canon, people use what happens to work for them and what happens to have of what they want within their price range.

What i really wonder is, you own a Pentax, what about it does not work for you that you think to look elsewhere? (I may have missed that point in another post?)
For me it was the fact that Pentax had more features than the Canon i would have been upgrading to after not being 100% happy with the 30D, the better ergonomics are purely luck (i was just hoping to still have 2 wheel will mean no downgrade in ergonomics), since noone locally has one for me to try. When i got it, i realized the K20D "just works for me"

Price can't be it for you since you are willing to pay more $ for less (Canon).

Just wondering,

Daniel
06-03-2008, 01:02 AM   #49
Veteran Member

I feel for you, Nakey. I've gone through the same phase as you are going through now. Thankfully, I've overcome it by proving to myself that I can do just as much with one as I can with the other - shoot sports and action. And I'm using a K100D which is supposed to be horrible for sports!
Now I am a thorough believer that it is me who takes the pictures, not the camera.

As I see it, right now you're a Pentaxian shooting a glorified P&S.
Switch systems and you'll be a Canonista shooting a glorified P&S. It's that simple.

Whatever works for you.

06-03-2008, 02:16 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Richard,

I was considering the D60 and the E-510 but it came down to the Pentax K200D. I am hardly an afficionado as I just got the camera last friday and it's my first DSLR. I can tell you what won me over :

- uses standard AA batteries . No proprietary batteries and charger to buy. That was the case with Olympus E-510 for example - the regular charger that comes with it takes 7 hours. You have to at least buy a 2nd set and a spare. Not practical. So the Pentax keeps the cost lower.

- SD card support also. That happened to be what my old camera used. So I could shoot right away when I received the kit. This may not be a very important argument due to cost of cards these days.

- the kit with DA 18-55 was relatively inexpensive, especially with the rebate. $675 less $100 rebate is $575. Not too bad to get started in DSLR. I didn't even consider any Canon due to cost.

- from reading the various reviews, it seemed that the 11-point focusing abilities of the K200D was an advantage over the E-510 and D60 . But I couldn't try this directly myself.

- having a solid and sealed body was a definite advantage too. It may be a more solid camera and need less service than others.

- ability to do self portraits was important. The Pentax supports the wireless remote control F. Some cameras from other manufacturers (cheaper Sony alpha) in this price range do not have that option.

QuoteOriginally posted by expatCanuck Quote
Greetings -

Looking to buy a digital SLR. K200D caught my eye. Currently using a Minolta G500 p&s and some older Nikon 35mm SLRs (FE, FE2, N90).

Was wondering if any Pentax aficionados would care to suggest why I might be better served with the K200D over, say, a Nikon D80, a Canon XTi or an Olympus E-510.

Expected uses include nature photography, club shots (performers on stage), family candids and product (electronics) shots.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks kindly.

- Richard
OldWithoutMoney.com
06-03-2008, 03:40 AM   #51

hmmm

i think i've made my decision

Pentax K200D next Saturday
06-03-2008, 06:27 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Congrats!! when i was looking for my first DSLR last spring I actually won a great priced auction for a Nikon. The buyer backed out..... giving some bs reason and I eventually ended up with a Pentax and thanking the stars for it. I have a kit now that I NEVER thought I could afford when i was pricing out the competition.

06-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Is it too late to try to convince you to go into just a little more debt and spring for
the K20D? Then you can get old, relatively inexpensive manual focus lenses to
do this:

Last edited by jsherman999; 06-03-2008 at 01:04 PM.
06-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Is it too late to try to convince you to go into just a little more debt and spring for
the K20D? Then you can get old, relatively inexpensive manual focus lenses to
do this:
<snip>
not really, but tax time is approaching. Unfortunately, with the *ist DS out, i do kinda need it before the end of Financial Year.

cause i'm a camera n00b, how can the K20D do that when the K200D cannot? Is that the HDR that everyone's talking about? i was looking at getting a few manual lenses for the *ist DS, so i assume that they'll still work on the K200D?
06-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nakey Quote
not really, but tax time is approaching. Unfortunately, with the *ist DS out, i do kinda need it before the end of Financial Year.

cause i'm a camera n00b, how can the K20D do that when the K200D cannot? Is that the HDR that everyone's talking about? i was looking at getting a few manual lenses for the *ist DS, so i assume that they'll still work on the K200D?
The K200D is a very good camera, but the new CMOS sensor in the K20D is, in my opinion, superior to anything in it's class. I think you have to go up to the Canon 5D or Nikon D1 line to match it.

I don't own, but I've shot with a Canon 40D and Nikon D200, and the lower end Canikons, and even with the good Canikon glass, couldn't match simple images taken with the K20D + good K-mount glass.

The sensor is capable of very, very good high ISO performance - maybe matched by the new Nikon D300 in it's class.

ISO 3200:

ISO 1600:

ISO 800 (looks like ISO 200 does on my K100D)

And with 14.6MP, you can crop an insane amount while retaining exceptional IQ.

That being said, the K200D is ergonometrically terrific, and it has the K10D's sensor, weather sealing, in-body SR, it's really a great little camera that, at least to me, 'feels' so much more solid than anything Canon or Nikon sells at that price range.

Literally the only thing Canikon really beats the K200D in is AF speed, and even that, based on my 40D testing, is questionable - sure, AF locked on quickly, but the shots weren't always spot-on focused, and that was in good light. Focus lock speed doesn't always mean focus accuracy. (that was occurring with more than one lens on the 40D when I tested.)

And to gently refute an earlier comment, yes, the limited series lenses can make you a better photographer!

Last edited by jsherman999; 06-03-2008 at 02:00 PM.
06-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Nakey, maybe you've already made up your mind but here's more encouragement.

I can see that if you're a social being (aren't we all) the call of Canon is loud. You can share gear with friends, providing they are good friends. But of course for info, tips, etc. you can use this here forum. Not only have I learned a lot here but I've tried to give just as much back to keep the karma flowing. Plus I've found some great lenses courtesy of sellers like Yung. You don't find people that decent just anywhere.

Pentax appeals to the individualistic artistic spirit, and the sort of person who doesn't want to fire off 200 shots to get one good shot, but rather thinks about the photo before it happens, squeezes the shutter at just the right moment and gets the shot that matters.

Anyone who thinks that Canon has all the lenses really needs to read my article Pentax Lenses: None Better. Because if you want to look for the best lenses at the best prices, Pentax walks all over the competition. Especially as image stabilisation is so important. You say you've managed without it... but you don't know what you are missing.

Canon users do not "make greater shots because of their gear". You need to check out the Pentax photo gallery link in the above article if you truly believe that malarkey. All else being equal, and adjusting for inflation, great shots come from great photographers using great lenses. You can do it in any system. I just believe you can do it cheaper... and with more style... with Pentax.

If your friend can do amazing stuff with a 350D (and why not?) you can learn to do amazing stuff with your Pentax. There is a lot to learn. But I've only been shooting since February and managed the following. Then again, I came into this with my aesthetics well-sharpened and a good amount of technical know-how. Plus the desire to learn.

Enough talk. See photos.

This was made from three blended exposures shot with the DA16-45mm at 16mm. It's a great lens for the price and a good alternative to the kit.

The following is a manual focus with the Cosina 100mm f/3.5 Macro, one of the great legacy lenses Pentax gives you access to. And for cheap.

So was this. A lens so light and useful that I have a hard time taking any other out with me.

The much heavier and more expensive Vivitar Series 1 105mm, which I'm still getting a handle on. Said by many to be the best macro lens ever. Also good for antique shots of goats.

You can buy all of these lenses for the price of one image stabilised Canon lens. And we haven't even begun talking about the loveliness that are the limited series.

Last edited by rparmar; 06-03-2008 at 04:42 PM.
06-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #57
Inactive Account

Why I Went The Pentax Route

The picture below is actually a big mistake, I shot it in broad daylight at 1600 ISO, I used my Sigma 70-300 lens at it's full focal length of 300mm and did a full crop,no other post processing was done to it. The pic may not any prizes at the State Fair but it shows me how the shake reduction on the K200d does it's job and very well at that. Sharpness was also good with it's tight crop and the high ISO I had set on the camera by mistake. Why people buy a SLR look-a-like bridgecam that cost a little less is beyond me, I also fell into that trap and finally crawled out.

Barry

06-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Why people buy a SLR look-a-like bridgecam that cost a little less is beyond me, I also fell into that trap and finally crawled out.
i almost did. Almost bought the Fuji Finepix S9500.

Admittedly, it was price that brought me to Pentax (899 for the *ist DS at the time, vs 950 for the finepix, and 999 for the Oly E330)

Now if only next saturday would come sooner...
06-03-2008, 06:21 PM   #59

QuoteQuote:
Why people buy a SLR look-a-like bridgecam that cost a little less is beyond me, I also fell into that trap and finally crawled out.
Hehe, I made that mistake a year ago by buying a Fujifilm S9600, it was a good camera, but I outgrew it very quickly.

Actually, good thing that I got it because if not I would have had a K100D right now instead of a K200D.
06-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
<cat pic snip>.
That pic's calling out for a "I can haz Limited lens pls" macro..