Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
Forum Member

Why a K200D? (over Nikon, Olympus Canon ...)

Greetings -

Looking to buy a digital SLR. K200D caught my eye. Currently using a Minolta G500 p&s and some older Nikon 35mm SLRs (FE, FE2, N90).

Was wondering if any Pentax aficionados would care to suggest why I might be better served with the K200D over, say, a Nikon D80, a Canon XTi or an Olympus E-510.

Expected uses include nature photography, club shots (performers on stage), family candids and product (electronics) shots.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks kindly.

- Richard
OldWithoutMoney.com

Last edited by expatCanuck; 05-30-2008 at 09:55 AM.
05-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
JMS

From my experience from working in a shop, it's just plain better. More durable, completely weathersealed, smaller, lighter without feeling cheap, it can control wireless flash... the list goes n and on.

Having said that, if you have any good Nikon lenses, I would suggest you go with the D80. That would be my second choice of those you named.
05-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

For nature photography, the Olympus would be my last choice, due to the smaller sensor that doesn't allow as much coverage from wide angle lens. As far as image quality is concerned, all cameras in a given price bracket are more or less even. In my book, it all comes down to how you feel with the camera (and the Pentax ergonomic are first class), and when you look at all the features,wether a camera has what you are looking for or not. But some extra credit should be given to Pentax for the weather sealing: you won't have a heart attack if you'r out and it suddenly start raining!
05-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Three reasons I can think of, each of which played a part in my decision to stay with Pentax rather than moving to Canikon when i made the switch from 35mm --> DSLR:

1. Huge selection of legacy lenses to play with, since unlike competitors Pentax DSLRs work (with some limitations) with all prior K-mount lenses.

2. Internal shake reduction. Works like a charm, lets me handhold down to 1/20 or slower, and saves money on glass.

3. Weather-sealing, as the prior post mentions. (Not available when I bought my K100D, but one of the reasons I'm about to upgrade to the K200D).

05-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
Forum Member

About the only camera I consider to be serious competion for the K200D is the Sony DSLR-A300 (In the price range). Why the A300?........for it's very intelligent implementation of "live view". It's actually useable in live view mode due to it's second (dedicated to live view) sensor. That being said I think the K200 is better built. Love the weather sealing. I think the K200D has a better selection of lenses as well. Coming from a Pentax 35mm I went with the K200D because I can use my current lenses. If I was starting from scratch the A300 would certainly give the K200D a run for it's money. At the end of the day though I still think I would lean towards the K200D. I looked at Canon and Nikon as well but I prefer "in the body" Shake Reduction like in the Pentax's and Sony's.
05-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam67 Quote
About the only camera I consider to be serious competion for the K200D is the Sony DSLR-A300 (In the price range). Why the A300?........for it's very intelligent implementation of "live view". It's actually useable in live view mode due to it's second (dedicated to live view) sensor. That being said I think the K200 is better built. Love the weather sealing. I think the K200D has a better selection of lenses as well. Coming from a Pentax 35mm I went with the K200D because I can use my current lenses. If I was starting from scratch the A300 would certainly give the K200D a run for it's money. At the end of the day though I still think I would lean towards the K200D. I looked at Canon and Nikon as well but I prefer "in the body" Shake Reduction like in the Pentax's and Sony's.
Keep in mind that the Sony's viewfinder is noticeably smaller than the K200D's, and that you can never fully disable noise reduction (BIG bummer for me)

Also, you can't beat that rugged body and ergonomics!
05-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Keep in mind that the Sony's viewfinder is noticeably smaller than the K200D's, and that you can never fully disable noise reduction (BIG bummer for me)

Also, you can't beat that rugged body and ergonomics!
Also, another fatal Sony flaw: you cannot attach a Pentax Limted lens to it

05-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi Richard (expatCanuck)

Also, another fatal N***n/O*****s/S**y/flaw:

Before doing anything else, you really ought to think VERY carefully about which type of lenses you might require from each company. Just make sure you're sitting down comfortably whilst doing the calculations, because when the final figures are totted up, there'll be a very nasty surprise at the end of it !! Have you checked the vast price differential of those three manufacturers lenses, in relation to the ones available from Pentax or 3rd party suppliers such as Sigma or Tamron ?
The O*****s lenses are the worst offenders by a country mile, but the optics from C***n & N***n aren't far behind, because each C***n & N***n lens requires pricey in-built Image Stabilisation circuitry/motors ! Naturally the Pentax lenses don't because the Shake Reduction mechanism is intelligently built into the actual body of the camera. Am I starting to make any sense yet ?
There is truly a shed-load of relatively inexpensive s/h K-mount lenses to choose from going back 3 decades or more, ALL of which benefit from the stabilising SR gizmo inside the body of the K200D. Can you say the say the same thing for old N***n/O*****s/S**y lenses ? Nope, they didn't even give you a choice in the matter, but simply forced you to go out and buy lots of profitable shiny new ones ! How's your wallet feeling now ? Drained, I'll bet.....lol ! I guess the sales guys forget to mention or simply gloss over that unpalatable fact when you pay them a visit ! Are the N***n D80, C***n XTi or O*****s E-510 weatherproofed ? You have to be joking ! So what you gonna do when it starts to rain with these three contenders ? Hide them under your coat unless you'd like an expensive repair bill, if you have any sense !! No such problem with the K200D, because you can keep on taking photos without concern, as it's fully weatherproofed along with the DA* range of lenses !!!! Do you know what, take my advice and do LOTS of research before parting with your hard-earned cash......and then select the thinking man's camera.....the K200D, or better still it's bigger brother the K10D ! (Or if you're really loaded, the latest K20D.....lol !)

Best regards
Richard

P.S. Ask yourself another question ? Why in G*d's name does the N***n D80 have a "slideshow creation programme with different music transition and fader effects (Pictmotion), so you can make your creations your very own".......Jeez, whatever next....?

Last edited by Confused; 05-31-2008 at 04:05 PM.
05-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sony has built-in SR and supports a lot of very good old Minolta lenses....
But the build quality of Sony DSLRs are the worst i have ever touched.
And it's Sony... seriously man... Pentax is waaaay cooler than Sony!
05-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Having zero affiliation with any SLR manufacturer (and even in PnS land I was only a Kodak / Fujifilm guy), here are the reasons for my K200D purchase:

1) Good high ISO performance
2) Lens compatibility
3) Weather sealing
4) In-body SR. Saves lens money and makes any lens SR!
5) Reasonably good kit lens (I didn't have cash to buy another lens)
6) AA usage, a plus for me.
7) Very high build quality.
8) Not a 4/3 like Olympus

Things I would change:

1) Faster burst and larger buffer
2) ISO 3200
3) Better viewfinder.

That's really it....It's a lovely camera.

Remember, it's what someone told me on another forum I visit.

You're buying into a system. Accessories, lenses, etc. The body is really a small part of the overall equation, as they change with the times. Lenses are for a lifetime (usually)!

Look at the ranges you want to shoot, look at the prices of the various 1st and 3rd party offerings and go from there.

Unless the body has a serious shortcoming (Nikon 40D, etc) then the body isn't as important as the lens ecosystem, IMO.

Even still, love my K200D! I've briefly considered the K20D upgrade, but nahh...maybe next revision
05-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

re:Confused
Just so you don't make a BIG mistake: th DA lenses aren't water/weatherproof. Only the DA* lenses are.
05-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Hi Flyer (I'm sure there's a career-minded pun in there somewhere !)

Re my unintentional slip-up....

QuoteQuote:
the DA lenses aren't water/weatherproof. Only the DA* lenses are.
Sorry about the slight cock-up, but it's in the early hours of the morning over here & it's WAY past my bedtime, so I'm off to get some much-needed beauty-sleep etc. Original error suitably amended in original post.
Nighty night & sweet dreams......zzzzzzzzzzz !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 05-31-2008 at 04:07 PM.
05-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My thoughts. Olympus? Forget it. I think the sensor is just crap, and the lenses are probably the most overpriced I've seen. Canon? Not a bad camera in and of itself, but feels cheap. No in-body SR, so much more cost to get it in the lenses, but good availability of decent 3rd party lenses. Nikon? Was in close contention when comparing it to the K10D. In the end, SR, weather-sealing, and good compatibility with older lenses won out, but still a good camera.
05-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by expatCanuck Quote
Greetings -

Looking to buy a digital SLR. K200D caught my eye. Currently using a Minolta G500 p&s and some older Nikon 35mm SLRs (FE, FE2, N90).

Was wondering if any Pentax aficionados would care to suggest why I might be better served with the K200D over, say, a Nikon D80, a Canon XTi or an Olympus E-510.

Expected uses include nature photography, club shots (performers on stage), family candids and product (electronics) shots.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks kindly.

- Richard
OldWithoutMoney.com
Because you get to use Pentax lenses if you buy a Pentax camera, and you don't get to use Pentax lenses if you buy anyone else's camera.
05-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

All the reasons above, but also, try one thing, if you can - Go to a store and put a Sony, Nikon D80, Canon Xsi and a Pentax on the counter in front of you and handle each. You will be surprised at how much 'better' the Pentax K200D feels in your hands - a more solid, satisfying, even professional feeling.

And the lenses. The other systems can't match the Pentax limiteds for sheer optical brilliance, at least not for under $1000.