Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
SMC DA 50mm lens - lens hood?

I have a DA 50mm lens, I really want to like the lens, but I find a lot of the time I'm getting slightly washed out images with it - the kit lens I have seems to be a lot more consistent than the DA 50... I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and if there are things I could be doing to address it - would a lens hood help with this?

02-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
When focused at infinity the front glass is all the way back, and recessed enough to theoretically not need a hood. The front glass moves forwards for closer focusing, but from my experience using a screw on rubber collapsible hood or not, the results have been pretty much the same so I ended up always leaving the hood in the camera bag. You could always buy one for like $4 and test for yourself though.
02-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to see what a lens hood would do for you without much cost, make your own. Here is two sites where you can get free pdf templates for your lens.

Digital lens hoods
Free printable cardboard lens hoods
02-07-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I have a DA 50mm lens, I really want to like the lens, but I find a lot of the time I'm getting slightly washed out images with it - the kit lens I have seems to be a lot more consistent than the DA 50... I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and if there are things I could be doing to address it - would a lens hood help with this?
I actually prefer slightly washed photo so that I can work colour on post..

There could be multiple factors.. what kit lens do you have, and what format (JPEG / RAW) and setting (if JPEG) are you using?

I have DA 35mm, 50mm, and 18-135mm and never found them too far off to be concerned to each other...

02-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I have the 18 to 135mm, it seems to generally produce nicer photos than the 50mm, but then I also have it on the camera all the time when I'm out hiking, so it's entirely possible I just need to work more with the 50mm. Same settings for both - I sometimes shoot raw/JPEG, lately just JPEG as they usually come so nice out of the camera!

Thanks for the link to those printable lens hoods!

---------- Post added 02-07-15 at 11:25 PM ----------

A photo from earlier today - this one turned out well, perhaps I should do some side by side tests between the lenses.... or just embrace post processing more for shots I'm more interested in.