Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2015, 02:32 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Pentax is doomed because in about 1 billion years the sun will engulf the Earth, thus extinguishing any hope of Pentax bringing out a Full Frame camera.
I'd be more worried about cybermen taking over the planet by using mind control technology embedded in EVF cameras with WIFI!
Which means pentax is doomed because they cannot be incorporated into the cybermen collective!

02-08-2015, 02:32 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
California will fall off before that.
Really? How? 2012 is long gone BTW.

---------- Post added 08-02-15 at 08:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
I'd be more worried about cybermen taking over the planet by using mind control technology embedded in EVF cameras with WIFI!
Which means pentax is doomed because they cannot be incorporated into the cybermen collective!
That'd be Google then.
02-08-2015, 05:09 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Really? How? 2012 is long gone BTW.
I was just being humorous. Lighten up. Geez! Pentax really is doomed!
02-08-2015, 05:32 AM   #34
Forum Member

This thread needs appropriate soundtrack:

02-08-2015, 05:53 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Hey what about the K-7? It has to be doomed for something. 56,000 shutter actuation and still working, how the heck can I justify a new camera?
I'm afraid you have to get to over 100,000 before the chances of failure gets above negligible pentax k7 | Camera Shutter Life Database
Your k7 is doomed to survive
02-08-2015, 06:32 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Hi VOR, you are precisely on point. Pentax is Doomed. Doomed to grow it's market share (finally) if the FF delivers a competitive camera to Canikon FF. Doomed to make serious $$$. If Pentax is the only system of DSLR that goes from entry level to enthusiast in APS-C AND full frame to medium format for professional use - it may be a market disruptor.

I never did get the full frame hype. Yes I know; the depth of field is shallower, low light performance is better, higher quality large prints, yadda, yadda, yadda - the way I remember things as a film guy is that; 35mm was the inferior format and true full frame is actually medium format! Cheers.
02-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I don't think it's all that doomed really. If today someone went out and bought a da35, a da50, and a k50; they could upgrade to an FF system with just a new body in a years time. In the meantime, they'd have a pretty decent kit, and in a years time they'd have an amazing kit.

Do you think a low end canon + ef40 f2.8 + ef50 f1.8 is a better option for those starting out with photography?

02-08-2015, 04:45 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the whole topic of FF is traumatic to so many Pentaxians. Not because we desperately need it, but because it was used by other brand's fanboys to write off Pentax as a joke. Then the internal debate started within the Pentax community - do we need it, do we want it, is APSC good or not and so on. Now that an FF was announced, we are coming to a new stage of handling this trauma. There is a lot of fear, because we don't yet know how it will be resolved, but we know it soon might be.
So I would say, just take a deep breath. Your photos are just as good as they were, your gear is just as good as it was, now we just get more options for upgrades. Hopefully this will be a positive chapter in Pentax, because I prefer the Pentax approach over that of its rival companies.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 02-08-2015 at 05:06 PM.
02-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #39
Veteran Member

+1

Other then to give to your message a BIG+, and a like, I can't do more.
02-08-2015, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am trying to figure out if this whole 'Pentax is doomed' thing is some of my American Pentaxian's friends practising irony . It is fantastic news that there is finally some movement on the 36/24 sensor design. A couple of very nice looking zooms announced / released with potentially a few more to come (perhaps a variable aperture 2x-1xx kit zoom and a highly probable 2x-70 f/2.8 Star lens) to add to a current prime offering of 9 separate focal lengths (31, 35, 43, 50, 55 (OK a bit cheeky), 77, 100, 200, 300). Still Doomed? Well of course we desperately need a 20 something prime and a proper wide angle FF zoom, say a 14-24 otherwise we're being picked on by the other brands.
Now to me that looks like 3 to 4 zooms and a prime away from a full FF lens line up and a full APS-C lens line up, but of course we're only delaying Doomdom! To really escape we need a K-3S for sensitivity (specially binned high ISO 12-16MP sensors, noise free to 25,600) and the new FF has to have sensor options along the same lines, an action version of 20MP with >10fps, a standard streetshooter / landscape model with 36MP and perhaps 6fps and finally an x-ray / infra-red / user high ISO version for the light adverse members with a special 12-16MP but it's Base ISO is 3200 and doesn't really start warming up until it's into 5 figures.
02-08-2015, 06:40 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Now that an FF was announced, we are coming to a new stage of handling this trauma. There is a lot of fear, because we don't yet know how it will be resolved, but we know it soon might be.
It's like we've been suffering from a plague for centuries. Every year, a few more Pentaxians succumb to the virus and are heard from no more.

Now a vaccine is finally on the horizon.

Can we afford this vaccine? If we aren't sick now, do we really need it?

Or are we just against vaccines on principle?
02-08-2015, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

I only think Pentax is doomed when people post ridiculous statements that would take a small book to answer. It's better to just admit Pentax is doomed and get on with your life.

Sometimes someone else having ridiculous beliefs is a preferable state to you being the one to have to convince them otherwise. When Pentax is finally succumbs to it's doom, I'll worry about it. Until then, Pentax's doom is being announced prematurely. Besides as an Apple user for over 20 years, and while I'm sure Apple is doomed, it became the best Company on the world on the way to it's doom. The fact that Pentax is doomed in no way means they won't return to some kind of glory at some point prior to their inevitable doom. All statements to the contrary are just speculation.

Translation "Pentax is doomed." = "I can't be bothered to explain to you why you're wrong, so I'm going to point out the inevitable in hopes you think I'm agreeing with you and leave me alone."
02-08-2015, 07:19 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I didn't want to say it, but we're all doomed when entropy finally has its way with the universe.
02-08-2015, 07:21 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Well, I didn't want to say it, but we're all doomed when entropy finally has its way with the universe.
My guess is, I will meet my doom, long before Pentax does... so it probably won't matter to me at all. My guess, my current gear will last me another 15 or 20 years even if Pentax the company is doomed during that time. So my Pentax's will never be doomed. At least not when it matters to me.
02-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #45
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My guess is, I will meet my doom, long before Pentax does... so it probably won't matter to me at all. My guess, my current gear will last me another 15 or 20 years even if Pentax the company is doomed during that time. So my Pentax's will never be doomed. At least not when it matters to me.
But you can't tell people that. Preach the doom and gloom and snatch up their blowout priced gear when they run for the Canikon hills!