Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Because they have not yet announced a "floppy-mirror"-less K3II !
You mean my K-3 is supposed to have a floppy mirror? I feel so diminished.

Steve

02-07-2015, 08:34 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
"I shot Pentax back before Pentax was Doomed™" for the real old timers.
Woo! Hoo! I want one!

Steve
02-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Woo! Hoo! I want one!

Steve
Same here
02-07-2015, 08:56 PM - 4 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's my canonical Doom list, going back about as long as I've been lurking PF (note: been shooting Pentax since the early 80s; I just didn't know it was Doomed then):

K-x - Doomed because of no AF points and it would display battery life wrong with FW 1.00
K-5 - Doomed because of sensor spots
K-r - Doomed because of quirky FF/BF focusing issues
K-01 - just Doomed
K-30 - Doomed because of "running shoe" styling, and AF not much better than K-5. Also "sonic boom" shutter.
K-50 - Doomed because it wasn't significantly better than a K-30
K-500 - not WR, no AF pts, so Doomed more than K-50, but slightly less Doomed than the K-x
K-5II - Doomed because it was only a slight update on the K-5
K-5IIs - almost not Doomed, but it could be better, therefore Doomed! (also moire)
K-3 - Doomed because of mirror flop
K-S1 - See K-01.
K-S2 - Doomed because of... (I'll say... ISO noise)
K-?? - Full Frame, and therefore perfect, but still somehow Doomed

02-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey what about the K-7? It has to be doomed for something. 56,000 shutter actuation and still working, how the heck can I justify a new camera?
02-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ragmanjin Quote
I've made a t-shirt because, thanks to the internet, it takes three minutes and requires no skill, tact, effort or knowledge of international copyright laws whatsoever.
You like?
Just point me where I can get one!
02-07-2015, 09:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Hey what about the K-7? It has to be doomed for something. 56,000 shutter actuation and still working, how the heck can I justify a new camera?
K7 was doomed from the start due to low light performance.

(Mine is around 23k and still going stong)

02-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I started lurking when the K-x came out (partly because I was researching the battery issue before buying mine), so I didn't really follow the K-7 story. It probably would be "low light performance not as good as a cheap K-x" or some such.

Going 'waaaay back in DSLRs, I think I remember seeing some threads on DPR Dooming the *ist-DS for having an SD card, because Real Cameras use Compact Flash memory.
02-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #24
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hehe:

Pentax is Doomed! | Zazzle

---------- Post added 02-07-15 at 11:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Here's my canonical Doom list, going back about as long as I've been lurking PF (note: been shooting Pentax since the early 80s; I just didn't know it was Doomed then):

K-x - Doomed because of no AF points and it would display battery life wrong with FW 1.00
K-5 - Doomed because of sensor spots
K-r - Doomed because of quirky FF/BF focusing issues
K-01 - just Doomed
K-30 - Doomed because of "running shoe" styling, and AF not much better than K-5. Also "sonic boom" shutter.
K-50 - Doomed because it wasn't significantly better than a K-30
K-500 - not WR, no AF pts, so Doomed more than K-50, but slightly less Doomed than the K-x
K-5II - Doomed because it was only a slight update on the K-5
K-5IIs - almost not Doomed, but it could be better, therefore Doomed! (also moire)
K-3 - Doomed because of mirror flop
K-S1 - See K-01.
K-S2 - Doomed because of... (I'll say... ISO noise)
K-?? - Full Frame, and therefore perfect, but still somehow Doomed
You wouldn't believe how many batteries I tossed on my Kx due to that.....
02-07-2015, 09:43 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
K7 was doomed from the start due to low light performance.

(Mine is around 23k and still going stong)
Oh yeah low light, I hadn't noticed, as I have nothing to compare it against. I should have known but I was just feeling left out.
02-08-2015, 12:58 AM   #26
Veteran Member

This annoying sentence, remember me of some people obsession about Apocalypse.

Maybe some people wants perfection, imagining that such a thing exists in this world. Maybe they just like to complain, like children who wants attention. Who knows?

Or maybe, those people thing that this is a good joke, and they keeps repeating, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

Are you annoyed of this repetition? Some of us are annoyed of this ''Pentax is....'' all over the place.
02-08-2015, 01:27 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Dommed according to trend

Pentax appears to be doomed because of how its ranking evolved over the last 10 years. Although Pentax benefited from its technological assets and market presence from the full frame film era, several other companies having less legacy or no legacy have outperformed Pentax in the market. In the ranking, Sony and Fuji overtook Pentax in the ranking. It's easy to have a proxy by looked at the user counts in Flicker. If Pentax moved from position 3rd to position 15th in Flicker camera ranking, then what is the next step? Bankruptcy?

Reasons for Pentax to have moved from third market player to minority market player:

Reason#1: Retail presence and after sales service.
Pentax remained an "engineer's" company, having great internal engineering capabilities but not sales and after sales service presence in the market. Only internet sales remained which provide low cost of sales but inferior visibility relative to other players. Today, most shops and retailers have Canon, Nikon, Sony and Fuji and if we ask them why they don't do Pentax , they reply that Pentax service is problematic when customers have issues.

Reason#2: Product road map.
> Lenses: Pentax had a lot of good glass from the film days and did not capitalize on it. For instance, the Pentax limited lenses primes have been designed to be small, but they are no fast and not full frame compatible. Limited used with DSLR has little benefit because of the size of the DSLR itself. Small primes would be relevant with mirroless camera such as the K01 , but then the K01 was discontinued... so, what was the point? For size, the road map of Fuji was consistent because of the size of the camera and the lenses together, and the Fuji primes lenses are faster anyway. Pentax did not re-look the FA 85 1.4, so a lot of people buy sigma 85 1.4 instead. The FA 31, FA 43 and FA 77 have not been updated with coating for digital. So, I'd say , Pentax did not capitalize on its technology assets.
> Cameras: Pentax lost at least one year of engineering and marketing efforts into releasing new products which had not added value for the users. For example, the K-5 should have been the K-5II, the K-3 should have been the K-5IIs, and the Full Frame should have been the K-3. For the entry level, the K-30 was successful, why did Pentax do K-50 and K-500 ? K-50 and K-500 should have been K-S1. So K-50/500 and K-S1 did not sell well, these were just a waste of money and time. The drop of mirrorless line started with K01 (it's light weight for backpackers and should be marketed with the limited) was an error. Now , there will be a full frame in hurry (=more risk to have product failures) because you're late. On top of this, you announced a full frame and you have released the 70-200 tele lens first , but most used is the 24-75 range FF zoom that you may not have. The problem is you have wasted one year on effors for the entry level and one year of efforts in the highend line... so it must be hard to catch-up. Hopefully, Ricoh accept to loose money in the camera business for some time to recover former strategic marketing mistakes.

Reason#3: Product reliability.
If Pentax decide to save money by having no brick and mortar retail presence, and also drop Pentax repair centers. Them, the products should have zero defects, and especially the high end products! Having significant SDM issues on pro-grade lenses , with no strong repair service is simply unacceptable. Same is true for Pentax K-5 and Pentax K-3 mirror flops... Pentax should be responding immediately, asking the ship back the cameras to them directly in order to find the root causes and fix immediately, instead of no reaction from the company. For the K-3, I think, this mirror flop issue had destroyed the market potential for this product.
So , please Pentax, if you want to everything online, (marketing and selling), you must also have online customer service and free shipment for the returns. We know that perfect products do not exists, it can happen that a product has a defect, so when a customer is not lucky to have a defunct product, at least offer this customer a painless repair service. I think Pentax can't do worse to piss off customers in not reacting to product issues.

Reason#4: Brand image.
Interesting was the confusion of Pentax and Ricoh after the acquisition. Some products have still have Pentax, other product changed from Pentax to Ricoh and now changing the Pentax Ricoh back to Pentax. It must be such as childish mess in the management layers of Ricoh-Pentax-Ricoh-Pentax. During M&A, there are always management politics which can severely damage the business performance; sometimes, shareholders may put their hands to resolve to personal battles of the top managers. So, Ricoh, you have to be consistent which the branding of your product lines.
02-08-2015, 01:31 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Gold ring, Check!
Are pentax shooters invisible, Check!
Maybe we have it all wrong, instead of pentax being doomed maybe "PENTAX IS DOOM!!!"
Unless we throw all our pentax cameras into the fires of Mt Doom the 50million legacy lenses will march across the planet leaving the Canikoners in ruins!
Its worse than we thought!
02-08-2015, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Pentax IS Doomed

Pentax is doomed because in about 1 billion years the sun will engulf the Earth, thus extinguishing any hope of Pentax bringing out a Full Frame camera.
02-08-2015, 01:57 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Pentax is doomed because in about 1 billion years the sun will engulf the Earth, thus extinguishing any hope of Pentax bringing out a Full Frame camera.
California will fall off before that.