Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
No one with pig tails like that could say such a thing.
Wanna bet?

02-09-2015, 08:20 PM - 4 Likes   #62
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You mean my K-3 is supposed to have a floppy mirror? I feel so diminished.

Steve
At my age I've got enough things that are floppy, so I won't be buying a k-3.

Wait. Wrong thread. Sorry.
02-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, no Q updates in.. months? Sounds doooomy to me!

Or Samsung will buy them from Ricoh out of spite, steal their tech and kill off Pentax. Long live the GX?
02-10-2015, 01:50 AM   #64
Forum Member

I'd say the new doomed is Nikon with their faulty D750 and D600!!

02-10-2015, 06:56 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
At my age I've got enough things that are floppy, so I won't be buying a k-3.

Wait. Wrong thread. Sorry.
OK... too much information.....
02-10-2015, 08:27 AM - 2 Likes   #66
Veteran Member

OK... too much information.....
I'm sure he clearly meant that for the retro pc forum and was clearing referring to his 3.5 inch and 5.5 inch floppy.... Disks. Right, Parallax?
02-10-2015, 09:06 AM   #67
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
referring to his 3.5 inch and 5.5 inch floppy.... Disks. Right, Parallax?
Uh, yeah. Yeah! That was it.

02-10-2015, 07:43 PM - 3 Likes   #68
Veteran Member

I think that this thread solves the FF-naming problem - call it the `Pentax isD'. (no *, no t).

A full circle of sorts.
02-10-2015, 08:23 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
I think that this thread solves the FF-naming problem - call it the `Pentax isD'. (no *, no t).

A full circle of sorts.
You, good Pentaxian, have good jokes.
02-11-2015, 04:19 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Well, no Q updates in.. months? Sounds doooomy to me!
Seems the telephoto macro is going to be released soon-ish. Good news, the Q could use another high quality prime
02-11-2015, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
You, good Pentaxian, have good jokes.
Me make fire too...
02-11-2015, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #72
Veteran Member

"Pentax is Doomed" is finished...
I say "Pentax Reborn!"...
Pentax is starting to flourish with recent multiple new exciting products... That's the reason for the reborn...

Well... Pentax will be doomed again if they won't advertise well the abilities of Pentax cameras...
They need to level up their marketing/advertising strategies especially on the professional or hobbyist level..
Those gimmicky and teenage level ads that we've seen before are not enough. Even those studio photography type ads they've done before are not enough.
How can Pentax-Ricoh advertise well the ruggedness of these Pentax cameras if they're just using those cameras inside a well covered and comfortable studios.
They need to fully show in their ads the ability of the Pentax cameras by actually using those cameras outside of a photographer's comfort zones, in locations with bad weather conditions, etc etc...
02-11-2015, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard balonglong Quote
"Pentax is Doomed" is finished...
I say "Pentax Reborn!"...
Pentax is starting to flourish with recent multiple new exciting products... That's the reason for the reborn...

Well... Pentax will be doomed again if they won't advertise well the abilities of Pentax cameras...
They need to level up their marketing/advertising strategies especially on the professional or hobbyist level..
Those gimmicky and teenage level ads that we've seen before are not enough. Even those studio photography type ads they've done before are not enough.
How can Pentax-Ricoh advertise well the ruggedness of these Pentax cameras if they're just using those cameras inside a well covered and comfortable studios.
They need to fully show in their ads the ability of the Pentax cameras by actually using those cameras outside of a photographer's comfort zones, in locations with bad weather conditions, etc etc...
The life cycle, doomed then reborn then doomed under a new owner , then reborn under another new owner, it's the cycle of corporate life.
02-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #74

Photos: Albums
I think it pretty worthless for a camera company, any camera company, to hitch it's wagon to massive internet blitzes. In fact, it seems that with the web, more than any other medium used for promotion, it is a dual edged sword. I've been playing around with my new K5IIs for the past few days, with my newly acquired SMC manual focus 50mm 1.7, and am coming to realize that the camera is about as much fun as any SLR type camera I have ever owned. The problem for Pentax is that the joys of the camera can hardly be realized in an advertisement. You have to actually use the thing to understand how much fun this small, quiet, sturdy, capable camera is. I don't know quite what Pentax has done, but I can actually manually focus through the OVF. Try that with a D750.

This is my second Pentax. The first, a K5, was purchased at MSRP, so represented a considerable investment. As some may recall, when that camera was introduced there was a problem with some of them locking up for no known reason. Pentax, like all camera manufacturers in such cases, was silent. In the meantime, the web, i.e. the dual edged sword, was rife with various accounts of K5 misbehavior. So there I was with a $1700 camera, built by a manufacturer I was not familiar with, that may or may not have been a poorly designed piece of junk. I bailed. Remembering that I did like the camera generally, I visited this forum occasionally to see if things were getting any better. Well, we had the advent of the K3.........And right along with it, the advent of the floppy mirror debacle. Again, as far as I could see, Pentax was silent.

All of that, to point out this: Fuji cameras, while somewhat unique and vogue, are not really superior to any of the other brands. I have owned the XE1, the XT1, and a bunch of their lenses. My experience was that they missed focus quite a bit. Even the XT1 with the venerated 56 1.2. Fuji still haven't provided a great format for developing RAW files; and their lenses are useful only on Fuji cameras. This is not to mention the fact that I have seen more than a few expensive Fuji lenses that felt and behaved as though they were of sub par construction, right out of the box. Yet, Fuji has managed to continuously accumulate, and for the most part retain, loyal fans/customers. How have they done it? Kaizen! Fuji, by paying attention to customer response, and quickly communicating their awareness of problems, as well as intent to address the problems, have created an environment where Fuji owners feel a true bond with the company. They belong. It does not matter that Fuji cameras have problems. Fuji owners are convinced that Fuji cares about them and the Fuji experience.

Aside from the EVF, I cannot think of a single reason that a person considering the purchase of an XT1 could not be persuaded to at least consider a K3/K5 instead.....Unless they bother to go to Pentaxforum and determine that Pentax, like Nikon and Canon, is deaf. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

There is a lot of talk about the demise of the DSLR. Heck, many even talk about the demise of the camera itself. I do not believe the DSLR, or cameras are going to go away. It is more like cameras have enter the realm of motorcycles, i.e. folks will purchase and use cameras because they want to own and use a camera; not because they need a camera. The cell phone has pretty much wiped out the need for a camera. Pentax/Ricoh have great products. They need to build a following. This is not going to happen through use of the BS amplifier know as the internet. It could happen if Pentax used the web/Email to stay in touch with valuable customers and create the impression that they care about their experience and problems.

Sorry for the long post. I am really enjoying this K5IIs and hope Pentax is around for a long time.

Last edited by tennjed; 02-11-2015 at 06:24 PM.
02-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #75
Veteran Member

The life cycle, doomed then reborn then doomed under a new owner , then reborn under another new owner, it's the cycle of corporate life.
All rise and praise hociR.