Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #91

Your original question was "why you think Pentax is doomed?"
I didn't before reading thru this thread.
I thought this forum was meant to support us users.
Anyway, I don't think it is doomed. I researched the hell out of a good high end dslr
before buying the K-3. I waded thru all the propaganda that spews out against Pentax
and still bought the K-3.
It's not a popularity contest for me. I like my decision.
It will take some time to quiet all the doubters.
All that is needed is good advertisement of which Pentax has none.

02-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #92

QuoteOriginally posted by RodBoy Quote
Your original question was "why you think Pentax is doomed?"
I didn't before reading thru this thread.
I thought this forum was meant to support us users.
Anyway, I don't think it is doomed. I researched the hell out of a good high end dslr
before buying the K-3. I waded thru all the propaganda that spews out against Pentax
and still bought the K-3.
It's not a popularity contest for me. I like my decision.
It will take some time to quiet all the doubters.
All that is needed is good advertisement of which Pentax has none.
These guys have helped Ricoh make good commercials in the past:

02-14-2015, 07:02 AM   #93
Veteran Member

after using a Canon 1diin and 5dii for work, I think it's safe to say Pentax is doomed because their ergonomics and user interfaces don't absolutely suck. Because any high end dslr that can be turned on and used with only one hand is clearly garbage, which means I should hate my k3.
02-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #94
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
after using a Canon 1diin and 5dii for work, I think it's safe to say Pentax is doomed because their ergonomics and user interfaces don't absolutely suck. Because any high end dslr that can be turned on and used with only one hand is clearly garbage, which means I should hate my k3.
That is a different thread. Look for the longest thread in the K3 section.

02-15-2015, 10:29 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
That is a different thread. Look for the longest thread in the K3 section.
The title if this thread is "Pentax Doomed™!!! Give your reasons why you think this is so.", so I did.
02-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #96
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
The title if this thread is "Pentax Doomed™!!! Give your reasons why you think this is so.", so I did.
Ohh but this one has a long way to go to get to "Why I wont buy a K3" greatness. Also, remember, Pentax is Doomed and all the people who will flee to the open arms of Canicony land will need to unload their gear, hopefully gear containing a 250-600 at a cheap price, so I stick with it being doomed and tell people not to look at my equipment list.

Speaking of the K3 thread, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/239325-why-i-wont-buy-k3-w...re-thread.html
02-15-2015, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax is doomed because of threads like this.

And by the way - every time you say "Pentax is Doomed!" God kills a kitten

02-15-2015, 10:04 PM   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Pentax is doomed because of threads like this.

And by the way - every time you say "Pentax is Doomed!" God kills a kitten
PENTAX IS DOOOOOMED!

...I'm a dog person.
02-21-2015, 01:35 PM   #99

Pentax (Ricoh-Imaging Co) is not doomed as a photographic brand. There are a lot of very satisfied users who adore their Pentax cameras and lenses. It's true.
But... :-)

Pentax is doomed as my personal supplier of DSLR cameras.
I owned 3 Pentax DSLR cameras since 2007: K10D, K-7, K-5. And all 3 of them were defective and have been spoiled very soon after purchase.
So, since 2007 till 2014 I was happy owner of the 100% defective cameras from the Pentax.
Look at my statistic:

1. Pentax K10D
Bought on March 2007
Total 510 shots - came unstuck mirror (manufacturing defect);

2. Pentax K-7
Bought on October 2010
Total 4700 shots - badly wrong tuned (or even did not tuned!) SAFOX, so the camera passed through the service center right away after unboxing, worked properly for some time and then finally broke down: suddenly reseted all factory and user settings and autofocus fully stops operating - defect of memory;

3. Pentax K-5
Bought on May 2012
Very good tuned camera, everything was great in it but... total 876 shots have been made until AF system surprised me with a great gift - a very
special defect: huge backfocus in vertical orientation of the camera (needs fine AF tuning from +7 то +10 depending of mounted lens) while sharp shooting without any AF correction with any of my lenses in horizontal camera orientation.

That's enough, I think. :-) Must I give Pentax my money for the fourth time to test my fate once more after 3 failures? :-) I think - no!

Pentax is doomed: no more money from me! :-)

Be fortunate with the Pentax, guys! Don't follow my failures! :-)

Last edited by Uncle Vova; 02-21-2015 at 04:07 PM.
02-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #100
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know if I would have put up with as much as you have, good luck in the future.
02-21-2015, 03:59 PM   #101

normhead, thank you!
I'm just singing a song: no Pentax - no cry! :-)
Thanks to the Lord, I have no problem with all my Pentax film cameras.
As it seems to me, Asahi Optical Co made better Pentax cameras than Hoya and Ricoh.
02-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle Vova Quote
That's enough, I think. :-) Must I give Pentax my money for the fourth time to test my fate once more after 3 failures? :-) I think - no!
That is an astonishing string of bad luck. Not sure I would have kept going with Pentax. I've had to get a k-5 repaired (mirror issue), a DFA 100mm macro (aperture sticking), and an 18-135 (quit focusing) so I guess I have had a few issues as well but after repair the gear has worked fine so I have been satisfied.

Perhaps you have the same issue as my wife does with electronics. Computer, tablet, cell phone whatever, after a short time they begin to act erratically. I know it is her because we always buy the same at the same time. Same cell phone, same tablet and so on. But mine always works fine and her's develops "issues".
02-22-2015, 02:15 AM   #103

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Perhaps you have the same issue as my wife does with electronics. Computer, tablet, cell phone whatever, after a short time they begin to act erratically.
Thank you for that idea, but it is wrong. :-) Unlike your wife I am an electronic engineer (hope She is not), having huge experience working in device-assembling industry. I have a lot of different electronic devices at home and at my job - all of them are working properly for years and sometimes they need only a periodical standard service. The only devices which surprased me badly - the Pentax DSLRs. :-) Even Pentax lenses are very very good and work reliably and properly. But DSLRs have manufacture defects. Partially You are right - this is my bad fate (but concerning Pentax DSLR only!). :-)
Unfortunately.
P.S. And I am not alone:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/289309-my-body-hangs.html

Last edited by Uncle Vova; 02-22-2015 at 05:15 AM.
02-22-2015, 05:43 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Perhaps you have the same issue as my wife does with electronics. Computer, tablet, cell phone whatever, after a short time they begin to act erratically. I know it is her because we always buy the same at the same time. Same cell phone, same tablet and so on. But mine always works fine and her's develops "issues".
Same thing right here. I know exactly what you're talking about. We buy the same thing at the same time as well. I always get "the good one".
02-22-2015, 07:29 AM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Same thing right here. I know exactly what you're talking about. We buy the same thing at the same time as well. I always get "the good one".
Statistically unlikely after about 7 items.